Print Story Boy those hippies were messed up
Drugs
By georgeha (Fri May 07, 2010 at 12:24:54 PM EST) hippies, railroads, bad haircuts (all tags)
Did you see what kind of haircuts they wore in the 80's?

Plus Blood Iron and Gold, socializing, community worker's party, saling, early morning anger, tedious chores and less.

Poll: Favorite part of "The Big Chill"

Wednesday morning thirteen year old was slow getting out of bed and missed the bus. Mrs. Ha drove her to school.

Thursday morning, she missed the bus because she spent too much time playing with the cat with our new laser pointer, I drove her in (my wife was off to a friend's garage sale). Maybe I should use the ice water filled Super Soaker method of getting her moving. Grr, late to work.

I've been trying to do one tedious chore a night, to stay caught up on the house, in addition to the tedium of cooking dinner nearly every night.

One tedious chore was raking the dirt spots by our new tree, spreading grass seed, covering it with squirrel chewed burlap and cut grass, and watering. Our neighbor informed us they're moving out at the end of July and the a-hole landlord is moving back in (he was watching the house when we bought and left his ancient boat in the garage the day we took possession. He had an attitude when we asked him to move it). They weren't bad neighbors, the exhibitionist mom moved out, leaving the nurse (who would have helped us kill our run over cat if she had her vet kit with her) who is very nice, and her loud uncle (I think he has a hearing impairment). Last I heard the landlord had two kids, I suspect he's getting divorced.

In reading news, I just finished Wolmar's Blood, Iron and Gold, a high level overview of the history of railroads. Very interesting, I need to read more about railroads.

Last night I finished The Big Chill. Man those hippies were messed up, who ever thought that short super permed look was sexy (Glenn Close's do)? I also found my high school yearbook from 1984, some of the girls had similar hair. Boy, the 80's were messed up too.

I don't recall hearing about that movie when it came out, but then I was into stuff like "The Terminator" back then, I recall seeing it in 3-D at the theater.

Busy day and busy weekend. Sunday I might attend a work party for our community garden, nothing like making the intellectual urban hoi polloi do manual labor in the dirt (I better find some red shorts and a Che shirt).

Tonight we may go out to dinner with another family, the one my wife was helping with their garage sale. She made $38 yesterday, which would cover a lot of dinner. My wife was surprised at how much it costs to feed a family of four out, even Friendly's will run $45.

< We just passed ten years. | Who did he piss off in a past life? >
Boy those hippies were messed up | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've used the Super Soaker method before by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 07, 2010 at 12:37:04 PM EST
My eldest has a penchant for sleeping too late. The results of the water gun were so comical that I almost felt guilty.

Cicero, The Republic
Extreme circumstances by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 07, 2010 at 12:43:00 PM EST
call for extreme measures, though Mrs. Ha would probably have to take care of the wet bedding.

Never seen The Big Chill by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:03:00 PM EST
Or that other 80's movie with that guy in it that everyone liked so much. The one named after the muppet. Saint Oscar's on Fire or something like that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I prefer The Breakfast Club by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:12:30 PM EST
cause like, they're the same age as me.

I saw Saint Elmo's Fire once, I don't recall much about it.

The Breakfast Club was the best of that genre. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:41:14 PM EST
Aged pretty well.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Less Than Zero was my favorite of the time by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 07, 2010 at 03:20:43 PM EST
It's been ages since I've watched it so I don't know how well it's held up.

Breakfast Club was decent but it always felt false to me. It explored the idea of the next school day but it never presented the way it would have panned out. Because come Monday they all would have settled comfortably back into their little clicks and happily ignored each other all over again.

Cicero, The Republic
Big Chill by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:24:15 PM EST
is a copy, as I'm sure you've heard.

The first (and best) is Return of the Secaucus 7 (available via Netflix streaming).

Yeah, I don't think our library has it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:29:03 PM EST
so I'd have to order it from Amazon.

Netflix has it by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:34:02 PM EST
for streaming, too.
We don't have Netflix by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 07, 2010 at 01:38:13 PM EST
at our current rate of watching 3 movies a month, we'll exhaust the library system by 2100.

Not being snarky, it would be just another waste of money for us.

The Big Chill by duxup (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri May 07, 2010 at 03:31:34 PM EST
Went back and watched it a bit.  I thought it was meh.  I didn't think they established the characters.  It felt very generic and dry.

____
The Big Chill by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri May 07, 2010 at 09:11:53 PM EST
was good because Kevin Costner did his finest acting in playing a dead guy.

And it was the first time I'd ever seen Jeff Goldblum, who I still really like.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Kevin Costner in casket== best part by johnny (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:18:25 PM EST
Followed by the hot young woman what's-her-name stretching, followed by opening musical selection at the funeral, which did make me laugh out loud in movie theater, probably thought crude by people who didn't get the joke.

That would be Meg Tilly by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:31:15 PM EST
there's an already an option.

Was that "You can't always get when you want" on church organ?

Yes, but you by johnny (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat May 08, 2010 at 10:56:54 PM EST
Didn't use lm/Theophile patented spoiler-spans!  Oh, the horror!

WIPO: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat May 08, 2010 at 08:51:23 PM EST
The End.

WIPO by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat May 08, 2010 at 10:51:50 PM EST
I've never seen The Big Chill.

Chilling, isn't it?

Cicero, The Republic
You are fortunate indeed. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun May 09, 2010 at 12:59:09 AM EST
You can skip About Last Night too.