Print Story Labour Must be Screwed
Politics
By anonimouse (Thu May 06, 2010 at 04:33:26 AM EST) (all tags)
Mrs Mouse is not voting for them.

Electoral Poll

Update: UKIP leader nearly kippered

Onto important matters (NSFW)

The Sun: Worried about Page 3 Ban if Labour or Lib Dems get in
The Guardian: ClaimsThe Sun did photoshoppery

Mrs Mouse is one of those people who, up till now, have walked into a polling booth, and  unquestioningly put an X where it says Labour.

Not that it really matters, the constituency in which I live is one of the safest in the country for the Conservatives. It's a fairly good job that he came out of the expenses scandal without any issues, as I don't think even a bad run through that would get him out of this constituency.

I shan't be voting as I can't find a party who I generally agree with, so I am full of "meh"

Things not to do: migrate a database from one OS to another, upgrading the version of the database software at the same time, with the database reconfiguring the tables at the start of the month, and the migration planned for around 2nd May

Attn Hulver Infidel: Suggest politics icon may need reviewing after today

< To my grandparents... | Dog Park Incident >
Labour Must be Screwed | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Politics icon by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu May 06, 2010 at 05:14:39 AM EST
If Cameron gets it, he can reuse that one of the bloke with the pipe.

UKIP by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu May 06, 2010 at 06:03:30 AM EST
I do hope they were breaking an EU safety directive that caused them to crash

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

They were trying to get a UKIP banner airborne by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:11:28 AM EST
I'm sure there's an EU Directive banning such outrageous behaviour

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I think you'll find by dmg (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu May 06, 2010 at 08:56:43 PM EST
It is illegal to criticise the EU.

Aviation seems to be a very dangerous mode of transport these days if one happens to be a politician with a Euro-skeptic outlook.
This latest 'crash' is clearly intended to serve as a warning to whoever ends up controlling the UK parliament.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
If I was a politician I'd take the train by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu May 06, 2010 at 08:45:04 AM EST
You had my DB sympathy until I realised you didn't kill auto-updates during a version change/upgrade.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Fail: Root Cause 17? by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:08:17 AM EST

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Seems like you're taking responsibility by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:50:26 AM EST
That and doing what you're told to fix the mess gets you a 6 (User Error) or possibly even a 3 (3rd-party software) from me.

Spidey sense tingling... you don't have some script running to free up much-needed space on that underpowered 286 clone you're running by deleting those huge logs every hour, do you?

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Sun Fire V890 (16GB RAM), 8 CPUs by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:34:51 AM EST
Discontinued but definitely not a 286.

Log files are rotated, Database is eating partition space and data collection scripts eating CPU time due to some monkey insisting on minute by minute nationwide data collection

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I don't recognise that name. by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu May 06, 2010 at 12:27:38 PM EST
I think you meant an ORACLE Fire V890 (16GB RAM) with 8 CPUs. I'm pretty sure it can handle PowerPoint and Minesweeper at the same time as long as ĀµTorrent isn't running in the background.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

No by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu May 06, 2010 at 01:02:47 PM EST
As its discontinued, it keeps the Sun name. Anyway it would be an Oracle Sun Fire V890 etc etc if it were being sold today.

No Minesweeper or PowerPoint, though there is jpGraph for producing web based graphs. Apache and PHP, plus Postgres and PgPool, the latter of which seems to be causing grief with regard to duplicate prepared queries on the new box.....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Can you vote a blank? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:02:57 AM EST
In spite of Tonatiuh apparently disagreeing with me, I do it often.

It shows I care enough to show up and vote but it also shows there's no one on the ballot worth voting for. I also very rarely vote for anyone running unopposed, I leave that blank, too.

From my counting days by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:11:44 AM EST
I think that would generally be interpreted as "I got confused or distracted by the unfamiliar process of voting".
here in california by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:44:21 AM EST
where the ballots are optically scanned, the blank would be interpreted as "didn't vote".
Not necessarily by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:07:43 AM EST
Ballots are optically scanned here too. What happens is, if there are no marks at all on the ballot, the ballot is kicked out as an "error" that the poll worker has to deal with (he can push a button to force the machine to accept it if you tell him to).

The best way to deal with it is to mark a circle next to a write-in spot, and write in "Blank". Or, if there is more than one office on the ballot, marking for any of the offices (or issues) you do want to vote for, then leaving the others blank will record them as blank without having to write them all in.

Example from my district where my rubber stamp, vacuous councillor lost to "Blank" in my Ward (4) where 51% of the people thought he wasn't worth voting for (warning: pdf)

different stages in the process. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:14:19 AM EST
(a) annoying the poll worker by deliberately causing the machine to kick the ballot out is, well, annoying. :)

(b) assuming the poll worker overrides and forces the machine to accept the blank, it won't get counted in the final statistics.

(c) the write-in of 'blank' would, however, work.

(d) voting in some races and not in others will cause your vote to get counted in the statistics for the ones you voted in and not in the others - meaning some reporter can figure out that some number of people didn't vote in race [x], but the county won't report it as such.

[note: i'm speaking from sixteen years experience as a poll worker here, rather than speaking from theory.]

As a former MA poll worker, I can tell you by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:31:13 AM EST
a) that's what they're there for. One of them (there are four per poll, plus one cop) stands next to the box to deal with that All. Day. Long. Any and every extraneous mark on the ballot (like dropping the pen that makes an extra dot) will cause the thing to be ejected. It happens constantly. It's not annoying, it's what happens.

b) Yes it will be counted, as the link I provided shows.

d) Yes, it will be reported, as the link I provided shows.

I finally quit as a poll worker because I always got put next to the cop and they're such assholes I didn't want to do it any more.

Oh, and c) by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:33:33 AM EST
it actually is annoying to write in "Blank" because the poll clerk has to hand count those ballots as a write-ins. If you leave the box next to an office blank, it can be counted electronically.
different jurisdictions. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu May 06, 2010 at 12:30:51 PM EST
it's not counted in California in the cases of (b) and (d). Your link doesn't speak to that; it speaks to whether it's counted in California.

I stopped doing poll work because management started giving me shit about taking too many days off (it wasn't uncommon to have three elections a year plus six-eight days for finals, and then i wanted actual, you know, vacation days ...)

whatever by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu May 06, 2010 at 01:10:29 PM EST

for more information by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu May 06, 2010 at 01:33:29 PM EST
here's a link to my county's statement of the vote from the 2008 election:

note that while it's possible to put together the kind of statistics you're looking at, by comparing the total votes in precinct X for race 1 to the total votes in precinct X for race 2, it's very, very, very cumbersome and time consuming, and the press doesn't do it.

[also, i think your immediate parent comment is one of the most offensive things that's ever been said to me at husi.]

[no it's not] by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu May 06, 2010 at 02:05:50 PM EST

A giant capital A the size of the ballot paper by dmg (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu May 06, 2010 at 08:58:50 PM EST
With a circle round it works for me.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Things not to do by duxup (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:36:33 AM EST
Make multiple significant changes at once to anything.

____
There are two schools of thought on that. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:09:06 PM EST
These days I tend to take a much more 'big bang' approach to critical changes, stacking them up on top of each other, since it enables me to get the level of focus I require from other interested/dependent parties. Stacking changes like this also makes me think more about them, and plan a bit more thoroughly.

So, currently I am in the process of planning to migrate one of the 'mission critical' systems I support from:

1) old version of vendor software to latest version of software
2) Solaris to Linux
3) Sun h/w to Blade
4) Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g
5) newer JVM
6) newer Apache
7) and virtualize it all

On four hosts In three timezones, in one weekend.

It promises to be interesting...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The Sun: Worried about Page 3 Ban by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 6) #21 Thu May 06, 2010 at 02:03:12 PM EST
There are times when I love this country. One of those is when our most popular newspaper expresses its political endorsement with a photo of sixteen bare-breasted women, one of whom is explaining John Locke's ideas on government and the social contract.
+5 IAWTP by dmg (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:13:47 PM EST
My all time favorite was this gem.

Gets straight to the point, but with subtlety and refinement.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I suppose by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri May 07, 2010 at 04:25:39 AM EST
Its one way of increasing erection election percentages

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
WIPO by dmg (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu May 06, 2010 at 08:51:33 PM EST
Didn't vote. It implies consent to be governed.

Once I have done a little more research, I may be more specific in my manner of non-voting.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Labour Must be Screwed | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback