Print Story Dog Park Incident
By johnny (Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:13:05 AM EST) Dog park, field rage, frisbee (all tags)
On average of 1.5 times/day, I take my dog for a walk at the Trade Winds airstrip, a grass field where perhaps one or two airplanes land each week. It's a place where people go to let their dogs "socialize" off the leash.

I got there about 4PM. There was one other car in the lot. (There are 2 parking areas, and lots of paths through the woods to the field, so an empty lot does not necessarily mean you have the field to yourself.) As I walked to the lot, I ran into Annie along a path through the woods, and Annie started barking at me. I laughed at her and told her to calm down. Annie is a frisbee fiend. You never see Annie without a frisbee. I met Annie's owner following behind. "Annie's ferocious today. Where's her frisbee?"

"She lost it. She's pissed off," her owner said. She's a pleasant young woman that I often see at the field.

When I got to the field, I noticed a fellow in a bright orange/yellow shirt several hundred yards away, running with what appeared to be a golden retreiver.

At one point in the field, there is a small split-rail fence. There was a canvas bag there hanging over one of the posts. I thought somebody must have gone off and forgotten it. At the bottom of the post there was a little black bowl filled with water. I didn't make the mental leap that they had been put there by the guy who was running at the far end of the field, a few hundred yards distant from where he had been when I got there.

When I was at the fence, my dog was 20 or 30 yards behind me.  I walked on.  My dog is a notorious laggard. She doesn't keep up with me. In fact she's well known among us dog-park regulars as "the dog least likely to be anywhere near her owner." She's a daydreamer.

So I walked on another 20 yards or so, and I turned to see my dog drinking from the water bowl. Hot day, free water. Dogs will do that. But I called to her. I kept walking. A few minutes later, she ran up to me all excited with a black frisbee in her mouth, and I laughed.

What had happened was, the "black water bowl" was a frisbee. Again, I didn't make the connection. I thought she had found a lost frisbee in the field, and I figured it was probably Annie's. That happens from time to time. People leave dog toys behind, especially tennis balls, but sometimes frisbees or other such things. So I began playing frisbee catch with the my dog. She was having a ball, but she chewed it a few times.

Well the yellow-shirt guy runs up, steam coming out his ears.

"Is that what you do here? Just help yourself to other people's stuff? What the hell?  What the fuck? What kind of dick are you?"

He was at least ten yards away, and it took me a minute to realize that he was talking about the frisbee, and that the frisbee was the water bowl.

"Hey I'm sorry," I started to explain, "I didn't see my dog grab it. She just ran up to me with it. . "

"Shut up you fucking asshole. Don't come near me. Just throw it to me. Walk away. WALK AWAY! Peaople like you disgust me. Just take your shit. What kind of people?"

I tried again to explain that I thought it was abandoned property and he said, "Blaming your dog??  BLAMING YOUR DOG????? What are you, 12 years old? Walk away, get out of here!"

He started talking to his dog about how my dog had ruined the frisbee, there were teeth marks, etc.

That was when he noticed that I was wearing my Tisbury Tower 1 firefighter "duty shirt" -- in fact, I had been on two calls already that day.

"You're a firefighter? What town do you work for? Tisbury? I'm going to call the town manager! You think you're a local, so you can just take people's shit. Fucking locals think they're entitled to anything!"

And I was thinking (a) I don't work for any town as a firefighter. I'm a volunteer, (b) how the hell would I know whether any frisbee I found in the field was a local frisbee or an off-island frisbee?

"How would you feel if somebody just took your things?" he yelled at me. "How about if I just took your pager?"

I was thinking, "well, I wouldn't just leave my pager out in the middle of the field." And I was also remembering the time I found a passport lying out in the middle of the field, and I took it to the Oak Bluffs police station and turned it in.

But I was also feeling kind of bad that my dog had ruined his frisbee. I knew that I didn't have any cash in my wallet but I was going to offer to buy him a new one.

I started again, saying "I'm sorry, a misunderstanding, I'll buy you a new one. . ."

But he said "A misundestanding? What's to misundestand? You steal people's stuff and first you blame your dog and then you claim it's a misunderstanding? You really are a dick! What a shit head. Walk away!"

So I put my dog on her leash and walked away. I went back to the lot, put my dog in the car and drove home. I noticed a red SUV in the lot. It had Red Sox decals and Colorado tags.

< Labour Must be Screwed | Messing with Texas >
Dog Park Incident | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:43:43 AM EST
What an asshat.  He's lucky you didn't force-fit that frisbee into his ass for him.

Is there any significance to the Red Sox decals and Colorado tags other than he was an out of town RS fan?

Gedvondur

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
I think he was by johnny (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:48:58 AM EST
an out-of-town Red Sox fan. That probably was his car, but it's not 100% certain.

Agreed by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu May 06, 2010 at 04:25:06 PM EST
I'm not one to start fights, but I wouldn't walk away from one like that.

That's just... by iGrrrl (4.00 / 7) #2 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:43:50 AM EST
 I think he needs to find a good trainer to get him socialized so that he can get along with the other humans at the park.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

if someone yelled at me like that by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:55:27 AM EST
in front of my dog...oh wait...that would never happen.  dangerous breed and all.

seriously.  WTF is with that guy?  i might have beaten his ass (verbally) just for giggles.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

...the fuck? by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:58:27 AM EST
I've never encountered anyone like that in a dog park -- where we take our dogs, people assume that any toy/water bowl/etc. is for use by the group. The only time I've ever had someone get annoyed was once when Rocky peed on a woman's leg. I felt bad, but even she didn't scream at me. I agree with iGrrrl -- that dude needs to be socialized. What a jackass.
Idiot by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:44:29 AM EST
You should have played with a him a bit more, stupid people can be so amusing. But, I suppose you're a better person for just walking away. What a wiener man.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Oh well by duxup (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu May 06, 2010 at 10:47:16 AM EST
Imagine what that dude's daily life is like if simple misunderstandings are crimes against him and humanity....

____
I had same thought by johnny (4.00 / 5) #8 Thu May 06, 2010 at 11:04:36 AM EST
The guy must really think the world is really mean to him.

Dear Wife were once at the local fancy restaurant, the one we can't afford but go to once a year anyway. We ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and were very happy to be there.

At the next table were two people who were very, very unhappy with their meal and their service. The man was especially unhappy but the woman was too. They talked loudly all through their meal, and the only thing they talked about was how dumpy the restaurant was and how lousy the food and service were.

The owner/head chef came over and tried to make amends, but they, especially the man, insisted on giving him endless shit. The chef was as pleasant as he could be, through gritted teeth. The waitress was ready for tears.

As they left I smiled at the guy and said, "you live in a hell of your own making. Why live in hell when you can live in the world?"   He just glared at me and stomped off.

Somehow it made Dear Wife and I appreciate our good fortune even more.

People who say "WALK AWAY!" by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 06, 2010 at 09:13:04 PM EST
need to be tased on the scrotum. That tubby fucker Scott McCloud yelled that at me after I complimented his wife on her rack. (Hey, I didn't know they were together and she thanked me anyway)

I did walk away, laughing at him, 'cause I didn't want to forfeit my Con admission fee.

It seems like you bumped into someone by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri May 07, 2010 at 09:05:00 PM EST
a bit crazy. It's too bad we don't have laws that make the slightly insane responsible for identifying themselves in public.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

You should have played with him by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri May 14, 2010 at 11:00:56 AM EST
"Do you know it is again the law on this state to dump frisbees?" or something outrageous of that sort.

Dog Park Incident | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback