Print Story Fire, fire, fire!
Gadgets
By georgeha (Fri May 28, 2010 at 07:54:19 AM EST) peppers. chillaxing, Peter Jackson, fire, dog (all tags)
I am ready for when Obama bans lighters and matches.

Plus, four day weekend, three person family, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, the Age of Uncertainty, Fellowship griping, peppers, LARPing, chillaxing and less.

Doesn't the weather know about ClimateGate?  We had high 80's on Wednesday, in May! It should cool off to 77 by today, that's good, I hope fans will be enough. I don't want to install the AC's in May, I'd really like to see an $80 utility bill.

Rochester weather is volatile, I'd like to see a month between the 60's and the 80's, but it doesn't seem to happen.

I cooked up a poblano pepper to have with our tacos one night, in hopes of making us sweat and feel cooler. It wasn't that spicy, what's the next hotter one?

We did get hot and sweaty trimming our dogs' claws. He's impractical for hot weather, he looks like cousin It, with long, itchy fur, including on his paws. He hasn't been as active, either, so his claws were too long. He doesn't like people messing with his feet though, so I had to hold him down while my wife clipped his claws, we even had to do it in the backyard so neighbors didn't call the Humane Society. It was like wrestling a goat with halitosis.

I got lucky at Walmart, four Swedish designed sporks, a chunk of magnesium with a ferrocerium rod, and a real cheap folding knife. I'm buying for our week in a cabin in August, and I thought starting a fire with magnesium would be a neat trick. I'd rather not use my AF survival knife to carve and strike magnesium, so a $1 knife is perfect.

Thirteen year old and I played with the magnesium/ferrocerium thingie, so we tried to start fire with that, instead of a lighter. Cut off magnesium chips onto a tissue, and scrape sparks at it, eventually you'll get a fire. Fire, fire, fire!

We then moved onto vaseline impregnated cotton balls, it's still not as easy at a match or lighter, but it's more fun.

A day later I started our grill, for shish kebabs, with the fire starter. I figure sooner or later the big "O" will ban barbequeing, for reasons of carbon emissions and cancer dangers. I reckon the easiest way to do that is to ban lighters and matches, so I'm prepared.

In book news, I finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which takes place in Czechoslovakia during 1968. The original is probably better, but I don't read Czech. The movie is great, but a bit long. Commies are a main plot driver, but tanks are barely there.

In other book news, I finished John Kenneth Galbraith's
The Age of Uncertainty, a companion to a TV series giving an overview of economics. I'd call it a good primer, though dated, with all this talk of Communist Europe and divided Berlin.

One morning at Target, I stopped to buy a garden nozzle for the Collective garden, and foam weapons, two short swords and a double headed axe. When I got home, the girls and I had foam weapon duels. My oldest complained when I attacked her from the sun, it's important that she realizes the benefits of terrain.

I also noticed some sweet movie deals. The Matrix, the two sequels and Animatrix for $10. I only have the Matrix on VHS and divx (I think I first watched it on divx), I should upgrade. Young Frankenstein/Spaceballs for $10, I should get that, maybe when I get paid.

Everyone went to bed early one night so I pulled out "Fellowship of the Ring" to watch for a while, to chillax. I saw it in the theater, I haven't seen it since. I have to appreciate it on it's own, otherwise I'd be irked by Bilbo appearing older than he was when he found the Ring, the severe time compression (Frodo doesn't dilly dally around the Shire for months after deciding he needs to leave), what get's dropped (selling Bag End, moving to Buckland, the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights, the cow jumping over the moon song, Bill Ferny).

In more movie kvetching, Jackson wimpified Aragorn, and female warriors in Middle Earth are rare, very rare. Arwen should have stayed in Rivendell, tatting lace.

The big local news is that our Mayor has been tapped to be Lt. Governor, in the case that Andrew Cuomo wins. I'm not sure who the Republicans will nominate, and the independently running Paladino already has the bestiality and racist email demographics sewn up. We'll probably lose our Mayor, too bad, he's tall, and looks good leading the Saint Patrick's day parade.

We have a four day weekend, and in a last minute substitution, thirteen year old will be off to New Hampshire with the newspapers. It will be relaxing, even chillaxing.

< Mine's a double | May be every moment. >
Fire, fire, fire! | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wait by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:21:31 AM EST
All of that was Fellowship of the Ring, not Return of the King

Doh! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:40:08 AM EST
Diarizing too fast.

LoTR by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:22:52 AM EST
Yeah, but. If Jackson had put all that in FoTR it would've been a two parter. 3 hours to get to Bree, three hours for the rest. Likewise for TTT and RoTK. Though I would've liked to have seen Scouring of the Shire, even if just on the Extended Butt-Buster DVD Edition. Which is already 4 hours long, IIRC.

In addition to Aragorn being wimpified I didn't like Gimli being the comic relief.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, one shouldn't diss dwarfs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:41:09 AM EST
and kvetching about the Scouring will have to wait until the third movie hits the player.

Liked the battles. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri May 28, 2010 at 10:06:13 AM EST
Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields were well done, though having random elves show up was a bit odd.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I've mentioned here before by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri May 28, 2010 at 02:23:13 PM EST
that cutting Scouring was where the movie went wrong.

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the extra discs in the extended edition box, Jackson mentions something about Aragon's hero's journey. In the books, the heroes are hobbits. We see them grow and develop (in a word: level) until we finally see them take charge and kick ass in the scouring. In the movies, they merely give the viewer a shorter perspective and provide comic relief.

There used to be some controversy about the scouring being added to match post WWII England (I suspect post WWI as well, but I've not heard much about that period). Tolkien insisted that it flowed from the story. I'd say he has been proven right.

Wumpus

I'm glad he cut what he did by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 03:44:31 PM EST
I enjoy long movies, but the sequences he cut from FotR were dreadfully boring, the scenes with Tom Bombadil in particular.

LotR by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:47:13 AM EST
Only one character got a really raw deal in the film treatment - Faramir.
Frankly, I prefer film Aragorn to book Aragorn. Book Aragorn is too perfect.

I recall that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:51:52 AM EST
but it's been a long time since I've watch TTT, so I'll have wait to kvetch about that.

Yellow wax peppers or Serranos by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:49:01 AM EST
5,000 - 15,000 Scoville units.

I think I'll try serranos by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 28, 2010 at 08:57:12 AM EST
if I can find them. I may have to go the boonies and see where the migrant illegal immigrants shop.

No, they're undocumented workers, George. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 28, 2010 at 09:59:34 AM EST
If there's one thing I've learned from the Fark Libruls, it's that it's simply not illegal to bypass U.S. Customs and Immigration controls in a desert gully at 3 in the morning.

Just a formality. It'll be totallu rectified when the Obamessiah grants blanket amnesty to those poor folks who left their passports in their other pants' pockets.

I have unemployed kinfolk in the cabbage fields by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri May 28, 2010 at 10:08:08 AM EST
a yonder. I'll have to ask why they're not picking produce at $3 an hour, to do their part in keeping America safe.

Unbearable Lightness of Being by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 28, 2010 at 09:19:53 AM EST
I thought it was an unusual style. It was like he wanted to write an essay, but couldn't quite be bothered doing the fact-checking and developing a consistent thesis, so he wrote a novel instead.

There are phrases from that book that keep coming back to me though.

What makes a leftist a leftist is not this or that theory but his ability to integrate any theory into the kitsch called the Grand March.

Women will forgive a man if they think his love is lyrical rather than epic (quote maybe mangled).

In all the deaths in WWII the death of Stalin's son can be seen as the sole spiritual death.

Iambic Web Certified

Bonus link! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri May 28, 2010 at 10:09:33 AM EST
Us Senator or Hobbit?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

What about by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri May 28, 2010 at 10:12:56 AM EST
The title of your diary. by technician (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri May 28, 2010 at 04:33:21 PM EST
When I play TF2, I play a pyro 90 percent of the time..and when you light a scout on fire, they run around ith a Brooklyn-accent tinged "figh-ya figh-ya figh-ya!" and that's what I have stuck in my head now thanks.

FAIL by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri May 28, 2010 at 04:36:04 PM EST
I was hoping to get Beavis and Butthead stuck in your head, heh heh heh heh heh.

I liked the Animatrix. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri May 28, 2010 at 06:18:40 PM EST

Click
Try hand sanitizer by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun May 30, 2010 at 05:42:49 PM EST
the gelled alcohol is a great fire starter.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Firestarter by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon May 31, 2010 at 06:02:34 AM EST
My favorite non-match or lighter based firestarter is a 9 volt battery and steel wool.

huh. clever filament by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 01:45:57 AM EST
Ill have to give that go. Does it take much of the charge?

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
No clue how much of the charge it took. by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jun 01, 2010 at 03:08:21 AM EST
But if I remember correctly, it wouldn't take to long to get it going.

The key was to have etheir really thing wood shavingins  to catch fire after the flame starter, or something similar. I think I remember dryer lint working well.

But it's been like  15 years since I've done this though.

Fire, fire, fire! | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback