Print Story Rhubarb Pie
Misc.
By gzt (Tue May 25, 2010 at 01:17:24 PM EST) gzt, hungry, wings night, cake, meeting (all tags)
Not strawberry rhubarb or "other crap and rhubarb" pie, rhubarb pie. It's good stuff. We need to make it happen.

recipe stolen from barooo, quoted for truth:
2 1-pound bunches trimmed and cut into about 3/8" dice (or "a little less than a half inch").  12 oz sugar, 1/3 cup corn starch, 1.5 tsp cinnammon, 2 whole cloves ground w/ a big pinch of salt.  Toss together and put into a lattice-topped pie shell then bake at 425 for 30 minutes and lower to 375 until browned and very bubbly.
Make it so, number one.

In other news, I'm getting yoked. I'm also getting close to doing 405#x3x5 on the squat. I'm conflicted: on the one hand, I should be switching to an olympic-lift-centric template soon, and though that will still have me squatting often, the intensity and volume will have to take a slight hit as squatting will no longer be my top priority. On the other, hitting 4 plates is awesome and more strength is always useful in a strength sport.

WINGS NIGHT. It went pretty well. Once the hockey game was over, we were able to have a good discussion about stuff. A couple people didn't show up, we hope it wasn't because they came before we were there and left because we were late or because they came after we left. WINGS NIGHT. FOR GREAT JUSTICE. The best part is that the doorman wasn't there when we went in, so we didn't have to pay the non-member fee. We got the wings with the barbecue sauce instead of the hot sauce. On the one hand, it's not traditional, but, on the other, it's actually edible. No "wings hangover" today from excessive hot sauce consumption. There was, unfortunately, a passel of "woo girls" at the table next to us. WOO.

Teh Wife is getting some dentistry done today. YARR.

I had Chinese food for lunch yesterday. It was at Panda Express, but it wasn't terrible. I got some chicken thing, bbq pork, and the mixed vegetables as the side. Crap: because of the way this morning's meeting failed to occur, it's now nearly noon and I have no lunch. Getting one now will be problematic. Frig, and now I'm supposed to wait around because we're allegedly doing cake or something for the boss.

...

Cake?

...

I'm hungry. I'm out of here.

< I Thank You All For Your Support | Here Comes the Sunne >
Rhubarb Pie | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The source material by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:13:43 PM EST
plus pictures: http://blog.ruhlman.com/2009/04/rhubarb-pie-with-lattice-crust-and-the-321-pie-dough.html

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
hmm by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 25, 2010 at 03:20:37 PM EST
butter is easier than lard, just because you don't need to render the butter yourself... it's been a while since i've made pie crusts, so my pastry fu is weak. it's a tough dilemma. fiddle with the crust myself, or purchase one...

i've bought lard from grocery stores before... by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:19:41 PM EST

it's bad lard. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:22:38 PM EST
You can, but they do bad stuff to it, usually. Hydrogenation = bad.

Hydrogenating animal fats? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 25, 2010 at 05:33:54 PM EST
Weird.

I'll have to check by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:39:29 PM EST
they sell 5 lb blocks of lard at the stores here.. Never looked to see how/if it was processed or hydrogenated..

You live in a big city. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue May 25, 2010 at 10:26:52 PM EST
You can get the good stuff if you look.
at a premium by gzt (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue May 25, 2010 at 10:35:13 PM EST
though i could, for very cheap, go to the store, get leaf lard or fat back, and render my own lard. they have a very high quality butcher's department.

You live in a big city. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 25, 2010 at 10:47:44 PM EST
Everything's at a premium.
YOUR MOM WASN'T. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed May 26, 2010 at 08:03:42 AM EST
ZING.

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH by barooo (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:45:05 AM EST
WHERE YOU GET LEAF LARD?!? STOP THE MOTHERFUCKIN' PRESSES.

It's probably at that grocery store of which I've asked you for the name twice now.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
NB: I don't know if they have it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:49:30 AM EST
They almost certainly do, though. When I asked about ham, they took me around back and asked where, on the leg, I wanted it cut. It's called Andy's. It's right by a train station.
Our compact meat department offers a wide variety of cuts, and we also provide custom cuts upon request.  Whole or half carcasses are also available, as well as a wide range of offal (as featured
          in the Chicago Tribune, March 10, 2004).  Homemade beef, lamb, pork and chicken sausages can also be found, including skinless Cevapi, Mexican style chorizo, Italian, Greek Loukaniko, and
          chorizo Guatemalteco.  We also feature the widest seafood selection in the neighborhood, with several types of shrimp, octopus and squid, and over a dozen types of fish including salmon, tilapia,
          snapper, catfish, buffalo fish, bass, milkfish, lake smelt, pomfret and kingfish.  We can order sushi grade seafood with a days notice. Try our popular ready-to-cook items such as homemade
          chicken fajita mix, buffalo wings, chicken kabobs and beef kabobs.
Also, they're currently doing a sale, mutton at 2.29/#.

Maybe by barooo (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:56:05 AM EST
I'll ride the ol' bimmer up there tomorrow after work and see what they've got.  Maybe get some sweetbreads and hearts and marrow bones.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
they have hearts and bones... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed May 26, 2010 at 11:04:43 AM EST
...all wrapped up on the shelves, usually. you'll have to ask about sweetbreads at the counter, though.

not sure by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 25, 2010 at 04:08:23 PM EST
there's enough sugar in that recipe..

it may be tangy. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:00:57 PM EST
we're making apple rhubarb crisp now.

we had stewed rhubarb over the weekend.

yah, see, by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:38:50 PM EST
you have to cut the rhubarb with something.. Even my mother-in-law will make a cobbler out of it (so you get lots of oats and buttery stuff on top), or cut it up into a jello mold type dish..

Woo Girls can fuck up a wet dream. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 25, 2010 at 05:42:16 PM EST
We bailed out of our local the other night because the fucking decibel level from those inane sorority twunts was out of control.

I KNOW by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 25, 2010 at 08:50:54 PM EST
that's what i get for going to a college bar, though. especially in the last weeks of the school year. graduating senior sorority woo girls.

These were in the 28-32 age range though by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:13:36 PM EST
so there's no fucking excuse for not using their Indoor Voices.

Rhubarb Pie | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback