Print Story on projects and stuff
By clock (Tue May 25, 2010 at 08:38:40 AM EST) (all tags)
finished the guitar last weekend.

Pics  or it didn't happen.  I know, I know.  Mp3z are next.  There are many issues with this build.  Some of them obvious and others that aren't.  All of them are cosmetic.  Considering that this is my second soup to nuts build, I'm proud of it.  The neck feels great.  I need to polish it a little more.  I'd like my hand to slide a little better, but I'll take care of that in a bit.  I still have to run some mineral spirits over the sides to get some of the polishing compound out of the grain (stupid grain non-filler and pathetic execution).  All in all it looks pretty good.  Some of the details made me happy.  All of them were improvised to either cover a defect or because at that given moment I thought it would look cool.  I've made my lessons learned list and now I get to sit back and play it.

Last night I went into my studio and sat on the floor in the dark and played.  It sounds really, really good.  I'm a finger picking kind of guy.  I love the tone a good OM or 000 gets.  I picked out a tune last night that I'd written before the weekend and I think I'll record it tonight.  Time to get back into the studio habit.  I'm overdue on some tracks for technician and littlestar.  With all of the finishing supplies stowed, my studio looks like a studio again and not some makeshift hobo guitar finishing station.  If hobos do indeed finish guitars.

At any rate, it was nice to sit on the floor in the fading light and pick for a little bit.  Music is good for me.  It's why I'm here.  It's a shame the world doesn't work the way I want it to, but I'm OK with it.

Tonight we get to be real parents!  There's an end of the year program for The Dude's "school."  We get to go watch a bunch of two and three year olds go over what they have learned this year.  Of course the program is at 7 PM and bed time is 8.  Thanks for being so helpful, school people!  Great planning!  Sigh.  Stacky is already mourning the passing of her productive Tuesdays.  Me?  I say "Put down the bonbons and get back to work!  I'm not running a rest home for retired sysadmins!"  Actually, I only say that here.  I hope she scans past it.  If I put more words in this paragraph there's a better chance she'll skip it.

We played more of Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom this weekend.  It got a little more fun when we stopped caring.  I can't wait to review this game once we complete it.  I will tear it a new one.  Hint: if you have two players, fix  your fucking camera so that it doesn't get hung up on all of your neat chandeliers and walls.  If I have to rotate the camera a dozen times during a single encounter, you are clearly doing it wrong.  Also, if you have no story, don't pretend that you do.  Just give me cooler spells/combos and some more shit to beat up.  Thanks.

Taking Friday off this week to pair with the Monday off that the bank gives us.  It's a bank holiday, right?  Or is that St. TARP's Day?  I can't keep up.  I stopped reading Facebook so I don't know nothin' 'bout no current events no more.  Though I hear from a trusted source that Obama has paid people to trash Louisiana's coast line so that he can look like more of an idiot for granting nearly 20 exemptions for more off-shore drilling with the same failing equipment.  See that?  That's why I steer clear of the news.  It makes no fucking sense!  I'm glad that my family and "friends" keep me informed via 100 word status updates.  Otherwise, I'd look like an idiot.

I'm reading "The Way of the World" right now.  It's like "On The Road" but in the Balkans in the 1950s.  It's my first physical book this year.  I hate it (the format, not the story).  There, I said it.  Reading on the nook kicks the ass of reading a physical book.  No bookmarks.  No fumbling with pages.  No using two hands.  Maybe if I didn't have The Dude it wouldn't be as big of a deal.  No.  It would.  I'm really sorry everyone, but eBooks are the way to go.  Just like ditching the CD for the mp3.  And for the record, I don't give a shit what they charge.  I read books.  It's what I do.  I'll pay for that.

So I won't be a LOST widower on Tuesday nights anymore.  w00t.  Told you so.  That's six years of hours I've kept that you've lost.  Ha!  LOST!!!  GET IT!??!??!!  OK.  No more topical stuff.

That's all I've got.

< Not really me | TOYS! >
on projects and stuff | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
:/ by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue May 25, 2010 at 08:58:42 AM EST
and :/

I was afraid of that. by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:09:36 AM EST
hee hee hee.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Also by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:11:08 AM EST
you have not been here 6 years.

um. what? by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:47:10 AM EST
6 years?  I don't get it.  OH!  The LOST thing.  Well, I didn't watch it before I got here.  So there!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Didn't watch Lost, by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:57:21 AM EST
Got rid of cable after BSG. I'm so out of touch with the zeitgeist...

"Lost" was about an airplane crash, right?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

it wasn't on cable! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue May 25, 2010 at 10:00:43 AM EST
it pretended to be about an airplane crash, but all of that ended up being pretty worthless in the end.

And the middle. by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 25, 2010 at 11:27:28 AM EST
And the beginning was pretty crap, too. So glad I didn't watch it or much other tv, it saved me so much time to waste on other useless things.

i liked the beginning by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 25, 2010 at 11:52:51 AM EST
the early middle was complete crap, then it started going somewhere.  however, the end had NOTHING to do with the rest of the series, which cheesed me off.  this was a character show not a mythology show, and i wanted more mythology.  i am very happy with the character endings, though.

i'm picky about what shows I watch - they have to have a certain level of escapism.  Lost fit that bill for me.  It's also the last of the "gotta watch it live" shows for me*;  now I Netflix or Hulu anything I might be interested in.

*certain PBS shows excluded

I didn't actually watch it by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 25, 2010 at 01:11:05 PM EST
But the description from my friends who were insisting I needed to watch it turned me off. It sounded to me like they were trying really hard to make the enigmatic "we'll make you think and think and think and just when you think you've got it figured out, we'll fuck you over again!" show. Which is fun and I enjoy those, rare though they are, but they forgot that you have to wrap those up and do a reveal. With a long running show, you have to do it several times. Lost never did that, from what I understand, and then the description I got of the finale was "and then the little boy woke up". If accurate, that would just completely piss me off entirely.

I don't watch live television hardly at all anymore. There are shows I'll watch if they're on and I happen to be sitting in front of a TV, but I don't even pay attention to what's on at what time anymore. Mostly I watch DVDs, and almost entirely after the series or at least the season is off the air. Castle is the most recent one I can think of. My brother's girlfriend is trying to get me to watch Sons of Anarchy, and it's mildly interesting, but I'm just watching the first episodes of the first season and they're, what, into season three I think? My Mom got me a season of West Wing, and I enjoyed the writing, so I'm pretty sure the rest of the series will be arriving shortly (June birthday). If so, that will pretty much fill my available TV time for the rest of 2010.

One of Lost's problems by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue May 25, 2010 at 09:43:23 PM EST
it was a niche show that went mainstream.  You have to pander a certain way to a mainstream audience - the show was mainstream "edgy."

Another was that one of the creators left after season 1.  When J.J. Abrams is given a free hand, I really enjoy what he does.  When it's meddled with, blech.

I'm currently watching Legend of teh Seeker.  I'm pissed that it was cancelled.  I was watching the new Melrose Place, but it wasn't trashy enough so I dropped it.  Oh - both these shows weren't watched live.

Nice work. by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue May 25, 2010 at 01:59:37 PM EST
I look forward to hearing it. I have been consumed with internal music and have not had a moment to spend letting it out. I did however get a new power supply for my keyboard today, SUPER WOOT!!! Which means I can at least plink around on that now when I have a moment. I really do look forward to stuff from you though so I'm happy it's the studio's turn again.
*twinkle*twinkle*

that's one purdy guitar by TPD (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed May 26, 2010 at 02:11:43 AM EST
I hope it plays as well as it looks. I guess you have a year or 2 yet, but when do you start workmon The Dude's first guitar? :)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
well, actually... by clock (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed May 26, 2010 at 08:11:29 AM EST
...i'm looking for plans for a 3/4 scale instrument now.  has has pretty good dexterity and has shown an interest in the ukulele.  you never know!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Huzzah! by TPD (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:18:31 AM EST
 let's hope the music gene is passed down!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
he likes to sing by clock (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:27:12 AM EST
and loves listening to AC/DC.  i'd say it's in the bag.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

for some reason by TPD (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:38:56 AM EST
I am now picturing a ukulele version of back in black

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
that is a violently good idea. by clock (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed May 26, 2010 at 10:49:37 AM EST
i will take it under advisement.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

makeshift hobo guitar finishing station by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat May 29, 2010 at 10:45:07 PM EST
That may be the most perfect phrase ever assembled.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
on projects and stuff | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback