Print Story You Have Given And Yet I Ask Again...
By atreides (Sun May 23, 2010 at 11:14:23 PM EST) (all tags)
Monday morning at 11AM CST, I have a big interview.

I mean the kind of job which, if I get it, will erase the last year of monetary troubles in less than 6 months. So if you've got any job hunting to spare, I ask it again.

I spent the evening with an old friend of mine I haven't seen in a decade and, among other things, he told me a funny story. Apparently, for about a year he was unemployed. He would send out resume after resume and never get a response. Some friends of his referred him to an HR professional who ran seminars around town on getting through interviews and hiring and all that jazz and she recommended to him that he start following up on all the resumes he's been sending, which he hadn't been doing. The next Monday rolls around and he calls the one he wanted most and tries to follow up. Turns out that they never got his resume in the first place. After talking to the hiring manager and resending it through that guy's personal email account, he immediately gets an offer to interview for a position which he eventually is hired for. He follows up on about 20 more of the resumes he sent out and none of them were received but as soon as people see it, they make offers. Finally, he and one of the people he followed up with figure it all out. His resume never got through any company's spam filters because his last name contains the word "cock". After figuring that out, it began to work for him. Whenever he'd call a company to talk to someone in HR and whoever would kinda try to brush him off, he'd tell them about the spam filter thing and, after hearing their empathy circuits kick in, would get transferred right through.

The moral of that story: I don't frikkin' know. I just thought it was a funny story.

Wish me luck!!!

< Flash of Tan | Whoops, waited too long. >
You Have Given And Yet I Ask Again... | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've touched "cock" like that before by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun May 23, 2010 at 11:26:19 PM EST
Having worked on subverting* those filters in a previous life, it's actually the "-cock" in the from name with a file attachment which caused the filtering.

Good Luck Tomorrow!

*I mean, emailing important communications to business people all across the US...

spam filters by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun May 23, 2010 at 11:36:51 PM EST
I'm told civil engineers have the same problem, i.e. erecting steel for buildings etc.

But apparently biologists have the absolute worst problems with filters.

In my line of work by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon May 24, 2010 at 01:26:20 AM EST
we often talk about "snatch loading".

For the less technically inclined, it's when one mass is moving relative to another mass and they are connected by a spring (such as a Nylon rope).  The "snatch event" is when the spring (rope) goes taut and the smaller mass is suddenly accelerated to the velocity of the larger mass.

Needless to say, we've lost a few messages to filters.

Pre-approved procedure by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon May 24, 2010 at 07:13:23 AM EST
in our case, for the purpose of returning a satellite that had gone into safe mode to normal operations. Nobody saw the report. The IT folks wrote an exception to the spam filter for that one.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Oh, and... by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon May 24, 2010 at 07:14:43 AM EST
best of luck to Atreides in his interview.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

good luck by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon May 24, 2010 at 12:09:45 AM EST
moral of the story: life = comedy of errors.

Just another point by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon May 24, 2010 at 07:12:13 AM EST
why aggressive spam filters is counter-productive. I wonder who still think that loosing out on a ton of good candidates (because your friend is certainly not the only one with a slightly offensive name, file extension, attachment, whatever) is better than deleting the occational spam e-mail...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Sending good vibes your way. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon May 24, 2010 at 07:42:30 AM EST
Best of luck on the interview -- you deserve this!
good vibes coming your way! by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon May 24, 2010 at 08:01:40 AM EST
good luck, man!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Land that sucker, Atreides.. (n/t) by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon May 24, 2010 at 10:00:01 AM EST

Good luck! by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon May 24, 2010 at 10:27:26 AM EST
I'm also on the market, although my contract is as yet unfinished, and it is ASS. I hope you find something soon.

~~~~~~~ by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon May 24, 2010 at 10:29:56 AM EST