Print Story Polish Quicky
By Dr Thrustgood (Wed May 19, 2010 at 12:51:01 PM EST) (all tags)
Goodness but it's been a while!

Inside: Life in Poland.

Let me see, I moved to Warsaw back in October, bought my bike, keyboard, laptop and Polish studybook along, and since then have been settling in nicely.

Things have been going swimmingly with my Polish girlfriend. The lack of mindgames has taken some getting used to, as has her directness. I doubt it'll be that many months before she makes an honest man out of me.

I went back to the UK briefly in December to finally introduce her to the remaining family members she hadn't met. My grandfather utterly fell in love with her, which may be related to her willingness to drink Cointreau with him.

After that, back to Poland for a couple of months, and then... India! Yes, rather then spend the winter enjoying -20C (and less...) we decided to spend three weeks in India instead. In short: Delhi is a crazy shithole that I fell in love with. Goa was magnificent. Mumbai brought out the British colonist in me - "It's Indian London - by the sea!" - and by the end of it I enjoyed the elaborate scams constantly attempted by the locals.

Since then I've been building up a good network of Polish friends over here, and have a few expat friends amongst them, although I try to avoid the kind of expat who would be perfectly happy in the Costa del Sol.

Speaking of which - or not - dear God, what is up with the Polish language? I've now recognised that I have zero talent when it comes to languages, despite my best efforts. Although to be fair I no longer view Polish as the enemy; I respect it, even admire its grammatical mazes from time to time. If English is a language with little grammar and a huge vocab, Polish is its mirror image. In theory, any noun can be declinated any of 14 different ways... and my head's hurting again.

On the plus side, it's a delight to go shopping for groceries locally; speaking and cocking up Polish like a foreign mong-child puts a smile on everyone's faces.

My work life has been simple, working as a filthy freelancer for whatever project, platform or randomness comes my way. I would like some more stability, and thinking that I'm here for the long term, I'm now navigating the Polish jobs market. I'm not sure how well this will go - I only started sending out CVs this week - and whether my lack of Polish and a degree will be a problem vs. 10 years of commercial experience. This could be interesting.

So, in a thoroughly dull ending: damn, I'm still happy. How did that happen?

< Dueling Scars | Stupid Shoes >
Polish Quicky | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How stuck to Warsaw are you? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:05:02 PM EST
I know development jobs going in Poznan.

Damn by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:27:03 PM EST
For the medium term I'm stuck on Warsaw. Shame as Poznan's a pretty decent place, and a hell of a lot prettier.

Bloody immigrants by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:09:34 PM EST

Coming to Poland. Taking all the Polish women. Building stuff and doing all the jobs that the locals won't do for the money. Driving down wages ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Driving *DOWN*? by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:23:29 PM EST
How very dare you!

;)

still happy?!?!? by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:13:17 PM EST
IHBT

HAND

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

From UK *TO* Poland? Weird. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:39:42 PM EST
How much longer until you have a mullet?

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Dude by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed May 19, 2010 at 01:48:54 PM EST
It's Poland, not Germany. People have taste here. Admittedly, mostly the girls, but still.

Taste? Try again. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed May 19, 2010 at 10:15:21 PM EST
We get Polish TV here and it's only marginally better than Turkish.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

*wipes away a tear* by me0w (4.00 / 6) #8 Wed May 19, 2010 at 02:28:13 PM EST
Our dear Thrusty is growing up!

Who won't drink Cointreau? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed May 19, 2010 at 05:16:56 PM EST
Nectar of the Gods!
Also - You lucky bastard. Polish women are gorgeous until about 45 or so.

Good for you man by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu May 20, 2010 at 04:24:24 AM EST
Good for you

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yay by priestess (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu May 20, 2010 at 08:39:24 AM EST
Glad it seems to be coming together for you dude, who'd have thought it.

Pre......
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Polish Quicky | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback