Print Story So, we're posting weight loss stats today?
Health
By ObviousTroll (Thu May 13, 2010 at 02:55:17 PM EST) (all tags)
Mine aren't so impressive, lately.

I've been stuck for the past month or so - as usual, cutting back to 2000 calories is easy, cutting back to 1700 is a lot harder. The bike riding has been the only reason I haven't started putting weight back on - It's become really difficult to stay inside my calorie targets if I'm not working out, as demonstrated by the recent surge in my weight, caused by the weekend-long celebration of my brother's and sil's college graduations.

I did get that new road bike - ended up with the Secteur, because it was just so nimble and surprisingly comfie - although I really despise the Speed Play pedals they sold me. I'm seriously considering buying another set of Crank Brothers' Mallets and using my my mountain shoes. I've taken the bike on a couple of 50+ mile rides, and not being able to instantly clip-in was the only real liability. (Well, the other liability was my old Nikon 995, which died when I took it on a ride with me. I think I'm going to have to reconsider what I can and can't take on a ride - if the vibration was enough to kill an old P&S (I don't know that for sure, but it's a reasonable suspicion) then I certainly don't want to try and carry an SLR.

Geeking Out: Magellan Triton GPS

I did buy a GPS to use on the road bike, because I like exploring odd nooks and crannies of the universe. I bought a Magellan Triton 400 because I found a good deal on a refurbed unit and because I've had an excellent experience with the old Magellan Sportrak. This turned out to be a mistake - while the new unit gets a satellite fix far faster than the old one, the color screen washes out in sunlight and it speaks a proprietary and undocumented protocol which means that neither my Mac GPS software nor my old Magellan branded mapping software can read or write data for it and Magellan wants $150 for a new version of the software. I think not.

I did eventually find a great site that lets you download reasonably good maps for extremely little money (basically, you're just defraying the guy's bandwidth costs) but I'm still stuck booting into Windows to upload maps or download ride tracks. Very annoying.

Geeking Out: Eye-Fi

Another new bit of electronics I've got is an Eye-Fi memory card for my SLR. (Actually, I've had it since last Xmas, but last weekend was its first real workout.)

The Eye-Fi is a memory card with a built in Wifi transceiver and some basic logic. You program it with your computer before installing in your camera then, depending on the settings, when you take pictures it starts automatically sending them to various remote destinations. This includes lots of photo sharing sites but can also include private FTP servers.

My conclusions on this item are mixed. Having pictures of my brother's graduation sent up to FB nearly as soon as I took them was great, but hardly vital. In addition, the wifi transceiver appears to suck power out of the camera - I've never managed to run the battery dead on my D60 before, but it happened twice that weekend.

Good thing I carry a spare battery.

The upshot? I'll probably continue using this card for certain special occasions but I think I'm going to go back to using plain memory cards for the upcoming AZ trip. My relatives will just have to wait a week before they can check out my amazing photographic skillz.
< Headphones broke, going crazy. | sick puppies >
So, we're posting weight loss stats today? | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Damn. Bikes are expensive these days. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu May 13, 2010 at 03:20:24 PM EST
After my move this weekend I'll be about a mile from the W&OD trail. Thinking about getting a bike. My last bike was a Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed...

I weighed 240 February last year, down to 230 by September, down to 212 this morning. Losing about 0.5 to 1 lb/week.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

If the trail has any gravel or debris at all by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 13, 2010 at 04:16:34 PM EST
 get a hybrid like the Crosstrail - you can pick one up for under $500 - but be warned, I bought the middle model and ended up upgrading the tires and wheels. My ability to crush bike wheels is the main reason I went with the Secteur Elite instead of the cheaper model - better parts.

Losing a 1/2 per week is great; you're moving in the right direction.  I'm just glad to be away from 270 - I hadn't weighed that much in 13 years and I was shocked that I'd managed to let my discipline slip so far.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Unlikely to be needed by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 14, 2010 at 07:58:12 AM EST
I was on the W&OD a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to be entirely paved. Of course, I was riding hybrid so I may have missed an unpaved section (there is a section near Leesburg with a nearby path listed specifically for mountain bikes). On a related note, I don't think I even got to the beltway, so your part of the trail may vary.

Wumpus

Trail's decent by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 14, 2010 at 08:17:48 AM EST
Roads in Falls Church getting to it haven't recovered from winter yet.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WWW.BOYCOTTAZ.COM by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 13, 2010 at 03:53:26 PM EST

wireless by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 13, 2010 at 03:53:37 PM EST
I think we've hit the point where wireless sync should just start happening with our electronics. Having to plug all these things in is often just irritating. find the right cable with the right micro jack on it. mount usb drives, transfer files, unmount drives unplug.

Amen to that. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 13, 2010 at 04:25:05 PM EST
 I thought I had all possible variations of USB connect cable, till I bought a P&S for my daughter last month and discovered a new one that's half way between the "mini" and the "micro" sizes.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
almost by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 13, 2010 at 06:33:13 PM EST
I almost bought one of those when Google was running the upgrade your Google Account space thing.

Click