Print Story 45 ACP vs. 40 S&W
Films
By gzt (Wed May 12, 2010 at 12:16:22 PM EST) gzt, over and out, burrito, still the king (all tags)
That's why I'm a living legend!

Somebody on some lifting board was discussing how internet discussions have a tendency to get fierce. Apparently the worst is on gun and knife boards. I'm somewhat inclined to check it out just to see how ugly it gets, but most of them are blocked at work.

I have a final on Thursday. It should be good. I finally managed to crawl back up to an A instead of an A- in the class. I missed one of the weekly quizzes and bombed one and HW grades on average hover around the border of A and A- because I don't care that much, so even a 101% on the midterm didn't push me over the edge. This means I don't need to worry about spanking the final, I just need an A. Not that I'm worried. I'm pretty awesome.

I will be glad to be done with the semester, though. It would give me more time to get caught up on stuff other than my hobbies. I have a lot of stuff to read. Sure, I should also take this opportunity to prepare for that exam in the fall. And do stuff with Teh Wife or something. I'm sure she could use some attention.

Good article: Beneath the Froth. I'm not sure whether it's tragic or good that this is true: The Union of British Fascists isn’t much remembered today, and—as Brooke Allen brilliantly argued in these pages ten years ago—it’s quite possible that its leader, Oswald Mosley, will be best known to future generations as the model for Wodehouse’s Roderick Spode. On the one hand, they only deserve to be remembered with mockery. On the other, we shouldn't forget that serious Fascism wasn't confined to Other Countries.

Without looking, do you know how to spell the color pronounced like FEW-sha? I admit that I did not.

I might have to start using banter like this guy: http://www.70sbig.com/?p=1752 Mostly at work, but sometimes on the platform. Still the king! That's why I'm a living legend!

They want information for 2007. They started the damn program in 2008, we can't have 2007 data for a program that didn't exist in 2007. Dammit. I was going to go to lunch right now, but I have to wait for a response about whether they want the 08 data for the time I gave them or whether they want 1/1/08. Because they want rapid turnaround for this stuff. Or something. Screw it, I'm getting Chipotle. If I delay, I'll get caught in a terrible line because at 11:35 the lunch crowd arrives. Before then, it is a ghost town. A ghost town filled with delicious burrito ingredients.

gzt over and out.

< I'm a kitchen wizard. | Wednesday Weigh In. >
45 ACP vs. 40 S&W | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i'd go with the 45 by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 12, 2010 at 12:52:19 PM EST
but that's just my preference.
---------
DO YOU NOT CARE FOR THE LIFE OF YR CHILD?!?? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed May 12, 2010 at 01:04:26 PM EST
just kidding...

sure do by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed May 12, 2010 at 06:12:14 PM EST
i seem to have better control with the 45s i've used, hence my preference.
---------
Someone has MAN-HANDS! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed May 12, 2010 at 06:33:21 PM EST
That's all the snark I can muster for the day, so I'll stop now.

It's a plant by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed May 12, 2010 at 01:54:50 PM EST
Which was named after Mr Fuchs.

Hence Fuchsia.

Its flowers are sometimes fuchsia, but I'd class them as various hues and saturations of purple.

And neither of the survivors of my Fuchsia growing phase have started doing anything this year, although one of them had green stems under the bark still.

That's a good way to remember it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed May 12, 2010 at 01:56:37 PM EST
I will now never forget. Yeah, the color fuchsia doesn't match the flowers. I prefer the flowers.

Klaus ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 12, 2010 at 01:57:56 PM EST

Leonhart by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed May 12, 2010 at 05:25:00 PM EST
A botanist

to quote my CCW instructor ... by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed May 12, 2010 at 01:59:00 PM EST
any caliber beginning with a 4 is good.

40 S&W is an anemic round . . . by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed May 12, 2010 at 06:38:43 PM EST
best reserved for female and effeminate male shooters.

i was told by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 12, 2010 at 07:37:41 PM EST
by a couple people that a 40 would be better for me..i compared the same basic gun in both, and found the 40 to be teh suck compared to the 45. then i bought the 9, since the ammo is cheaper and i'm more likely to practice if I don't feel like i'm shooting away all my spare cash.
---------
A Nine will be Fine by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed May 12, 2010 at 09:17:13 PM EST
when it's backed with good marksmanship and tactics.

if it means anything by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed May 12, 2010 at 11:49:32 PM EST
i can fairly reliably take soda cans off a dirt pile at a fair distance...but i'm not sure how that translates to actual use, nor am I sure I can still do it, since I haven't fired a gun since I found out I was pregnant. I really need to go out and shoot again...just gotta find someone to watch the boy.
---------
I can't imagine gun and knife boards by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed May 12, 2010 at 02:07:54 PM EST
getting more heated than really serious stuff like hobby boards. You wanna see rabid? Say something about using Testors paint on a Gundam model at the right place, and it's apocalypse now.

they didn't mention a few hobbies by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed May 12, 2010 at 02:17:42 PM EST
like that one, but they mentioned it in comparison to audiophile boards, martial arts boards, video game boards, general gaming boards... i think gun and knife boards have the perfect storm of intense geekery potential, life and death potential, self-important know-it-all potential, and unstable personality potential. I mean, Testor paint with Gundam model WILL NOT GET YOU AND YOUR FAMILY KILLED.

True. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed May 12, 2010 at 02:44:39 PM EST
However, not using the correct isolation blocks, made from the finest wooly mammoth tusk available, on your fiber optics cable runs to the speakers of your hi-fi audio system COULD. Just keep that in mind.

sez the guy by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed May 12, 2010 at 02:40:04 PM EST
who ranted here about transformers...

.45 ACP FTW by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed May 12, 2010 at 03:15:49 PM EST
 What does the gzt standard burrito look like?  I miss chipotle.  One of these days I'll have to drive to one for lunch...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
it depends by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed May 12, 2010 at 03:26:48 PM EST
on some days, it's a veggie burrito with the hot sauce and the tomato. on others, barbacoa with black beans, fajitas, and the same salsas as above. depends what I feel like. nothing too fancy.

it's all about the tacos by garlic (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed May 12, 2010 at 08:22:43 PM EST
veggie style to get the guacamole and sauteed peppers, and skip out on all the rice.

WIPO: .45 Long Colt by FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed May 12, 2010 at 03:49:04 PM EST
Wheel guns are more reliable than semi-auto's.

<ducks>

(Comment Deleted) by dmg (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed May 12, 2010 at 09:07:00 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by dmg

The caliber debates are lolz by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu May 13, 2010 at 02:59:28 AM EST
Exercise once a week is better than none, and 9x19 is better than a sharp stick.

I think the caliber wars are powered by the accessible "science". Arm chair warriors can do a little velocity & mass math, maybe look at gelatin penetration... BAM! "facts".

That said, .45 ACP here. Readily available, form factor fits me, classic 1911 design, and a "standard" .45 has more knock down than all but the best 9mm.

Oh, that other thing you mentioned. Trying and failing sucks. Not trying when you would have succeeded is just fucking dumb.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

Internet debates by lm (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu May 13, 2010 at 06:03:34 AM EST
The fiercest Internet debates I've ever seen were cross newsgroup flame wars between alt.punk and alt.goth back in the early nineties. That and any conversation that Billy (Mahan?) got involved with on alt.punk.

Cicero, The Republic