Print Story Teh rAwK tEsT
By nightflameblue (Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 11:53:54 PM EST) (all tags)
So, spent an hour throwing together a clip to try out the new guitfiddle thing-a-ma-bob under a more NFB natural habitat sort situation. Clips inside to compare the trusty RG with the new/old Schecter, and my general thoughts.

Clips:

Also, for those still keeping track, you'll likely hear that main riff used at some point in the album I'm working on. Likely with better drum work under it.

The Ibanez originally had the V8 stock pickup in the bridge, which sounded like air. Horrible distorted tone. Now it's sporting an X2N. My one complaint with it has always been that there's an inherent harshness to the X2N. Now, I like a touch of harsh to give some edge, but it's sometimes hard to work around just how much edge the X2N provides. I'd always thought it was too harsh on the top end. Now, actually comparing it directly in the same situation, I think it's actually too harsh on the low end.

Keep in mind that all four "patches" used to record the guitar tracks above (four per side per "song") were originally set up for the Ibanez over a several day period, so it may be at a slight advantage here.

Still, there's a muddiness in the Ibanez clip that's not there in the Schecter one.

The Schecter is running some sort of EMG with a gold label in the bridge. Once I rip her open and look at the back side I'll probably be able to tell what it is.

In individual takes the obvious difference is the Ibanez sounds bigger. Almost like it has a built in boost of some sort. You'd think an active pickup would kick over a passive, but not in this case I guess. All together, the eight takes of the Schecter sounds clearer and more even across the spectrum that should be dominated by the guitar, while the Ibanez almost seems to be stepping into other ranges even though it's got cuts on both the top and the bottom in the mix.

Anyway, that'll likely be the last clip of the newb you'll get for a while as I'll start tearing it down tomorrow or Saturday. Hope I don't have to replace enough of the electronics to change the basic sound. It's a nice counterpoint to the Ibanez and I think experimentation between the two will lead to a better overall mix in the end.

Enjoy the clips.

< Etch-a-Sketch Watch | iPhone OS 4 SDK Licence Agreement Clause 3.3.1 >
Teh rAwK tEsT | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
First off: by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 03:44:58 PM EST
If you were to transcribe that riff it'd have to come with instructions for play with extra brootalz.

Ibanez - better sound for the palm muted chugging I think; Schecter better for when you're letting the notes ring; seemed a much fuller spectrum of sound.

Schecter sounded a bit weedy by comparison to the Ibanez on the PM'd chugging.

So, you're going to have to play twin rhythm on both guitars to get the best of both I reckon!

Concrete foundation for the SHED OF POWAH laid the other week, should have it built and usable by the end of summer.  At which point, I'll be plugging the electic in for the first time in 2.5 years...

Now we're talkin. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 03:56:26 PM EST
Gonna be going all out and gettin' a recording rig, or just rawking out?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be layering the two guitars in the end. Though there's some possibility I'll look into blackout pickups, or an EMG 18 Volt Mod to put the Schecter into somewhat deeper territory. Not real sure yet. Long ways away from being able to play another note on it. It's all tore down right now, ready for sanding and refinish.

If I do keep the bridge as a stock 9 Volt EMG 85 (as it was here), it's gonna fold over tracks of the Ibanez in final recordings.

What I have by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 04:01:22 PM EST
Is a decent PC, recording s/w and an ADC to feed direct from the amp to the HDD.  Sounds a bit sterile but at least it's noiseless.

But blending the two guitars'll work pretty well I think - looking forward to hearing that :)

Just hit the bandwidth limit on this 3G dongle so it's £5 / Mb from here on in; probably won't be able to reply until the weekend.

The joy of web chatting. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 15, 2010 at 04:59:34 PM EST
Reply whenever.

I've been doing some experiments with impulses. In fact that's what I'm using in those clips. I'd think that'd be exactly what you'd need in your configuration. Most people run a preamp straight in, run it through an impulse, boom, no more sterility. Recabinet makes some good speaker impulses if you get a chance to try it. All you need is a plugin for your recording software that lets you load them, and a set of impulses. Recabinet makes the ones I've been using. It's pretty much an electronic version of all the stuff that goes on post poweramp. Speaker, air, microphone, room ambiance, all that.

Works a lot better than the built in POD speaker emulation. And seems a bit better than the Boss GT-10 emulation too.

Anyway, something to look at when the time comes.

Costing me by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 04:20:47 AM EST
But eh.

Impulses?

It's sorta hard to explain. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:19:11 AM EST
It's basically someone creates a wave of a guitar tone. That wave is somehow processed/analyzed and then turned into an "impulse." That impulse has the properties of the end-run of that guitar tone. Like I said, the cabinet, the speaker, the air, the microphone, the room. You use a plugin in your recording software, and in that plugin, you shove an impulse. That impulse then, in digital form, runs whatever tone you're starting with through a digital cabinet/speaker/air/microphone/room. Tough to explain, but the results are really good. Very close to life. Much closer than any other speaker emulation I've heard.

Here's a much lengthier and probably better worded explanation. Where he says you want to bypass the cab, you're already doing that, and with an actual live pre-amp so your tone will be even better up front. these guys offer a set of free cab impulses to get started with, all you'd have to do is find a plugin for your recording software. Since I'm in the Mac world, I don't know of a good one for the Windows world. I do know several free VST impulse plugins exist though.

Ah I see now. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:34:56 AM EST
VST plugin, it makes sense now.

You'll still need an impulse. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 16, 2010 at 09:57:12 AM EST
The plugin is step one though.

Teh rAwK tEsT | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback