Print Story The punk spirit lives on...
By dmg (Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 06:49:51 PM EST) (all tags)
Whilst I was saddened to hear of the passing away of Malcolm McLaren, I take some comfort from the fact that there are still bands out there keeping the true spirit of punk alive.

Now you can argue till you're blue in the face about just how 'punk' green day's music is, but you cannot argue with that kind of direct approach to crowd control.
< I'm going to the dentist today. | This world keeps spinning faster into a new disaster >
The punk spirit lives on... | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ooops by dmg (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 06:52:08 PM EST
Link got screwed up. Try this
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I am currently on a campaign by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 07:04:36 PM EST
to convince my gf that green day ain't punk, but she has a crush on billie jo and won't hear out my argument.

p.s. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 07:07:52 PM EST
I knew that was gonna be a gd link before I even clicked on it, so that's a demerit for yo' punkass.

Interesting write-up on McLaren by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 08:05:15 PM EST
by Steve Sailer.

They almost seem to be accusing him by dmg (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 10:05:06 PM EST
of 'trolling' (whatever that means).

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Huh? by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 06:27:02 AM EST
The "punk spirit" is "let's fight motherfucker"? I don't think so. There were enough fighters around but most of the time is was only being willing to kick the ass of those who wanted to start fights or make trouble.

Checking...

Yep, that's what it was.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

TMTOWTDI by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 01:22:14 PM EST
For the most part, I'm underwhelmed by any argument aiming to present the `true' spirit of punk.

Cicero, The Republic
I know a song about that... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 02:17:25 PM EST
 It's all about keeping score...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
How punk a band is. by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 09:54:55 AM EST
The funny thing about punk is that when a band makes it is considered no longer punk.  I don't think anyone would deny that the Ramones were punk (well maybe someone would, but fuck them), but what was the biggest complaint from the Ramones?  Failure to find commercial success in music.

---------------