Print Story Etch-a-Sketch Watch
HuSi
By gzt (Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 01:08:44 PM EST) gzt, csa, squat, 70s big (all tags)
Shake it and the time gets messed up.

I worked up to my openers last night. Squat 160kg (actually 355#) was like butter. I might do 162.5kg instead. Bench 85kg. Still fumbling with the competition pause, still pathetic. Deadlift I had planned 170, but did 175kg and felt great about it. I just hit those singles and went home. Quick day. The squat makes me think I might hit 400# on Saturday, which is a Good Thing. I may play conservative and hit 180kg instead. I am definitely going over 400# on the deadlift. There were some strong people there last night. I am quite weak compared to them. I talked about programming with one a little bit. I think I will take next week sort of "off", then take a couple weeks to work strength strictly, then start to taper more into Olympic weightlifting, then have like 4 weeks of working a very traditional weightlifting template, and then have the week of the meet.

I didn't like this week's homework. I just couldn't quite figure out how to prove the stationarity of this process. Weak stationarity is trivial, but we don't have joint normality, which would make it follow from that. And I wasn't quite clear how much detail I was supposed to go into when it came to some of these other proofs - there are sketchy proofs in the book which make complete sense, so I think we're supposed to go into detail, but when you try to write the detail, as you write it, it just doesn't make sense to write more because it is so trivially simplified to... what is in the book. It's equivalent to worrying about simplifying (7+3)*4+(6+1)*5 as 40+35 or 10*4+7*5 and then 40+35. Stupid.

YNAB is a great budgeting tool.

Teh Wife and I are thinking of buying a share in a CSA. Woo fresh produce. Any thoughts/advices/knowledges? I was thinking of doing a half share at first to make sure we actually do it, and next year doing a full share. There's a good produce store nearby, so we can easily supplement if it's an insufficient amount of produce. Meat shares and egg shares sound intriguing, but I don't know how practical they are for us, so am interested in feedback.

mmm, meat.

< Therapy | Teh rAwK tEsT >
Etch-a-Sketch Watch | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
re: CSA by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 02:14:21 PM EST
Get a freezer.

We found couldn't keep up with our half share.

Additionally, we also joined a CSF[ishery], so the freezer is even more necessary.

CSFishery sounds cool by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 02:46:04 PM EST
yeah, freezer for meat, but eggs get problematic.

whaa ? You lift, eggs are protein. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 03:48:10 PM EST
drink up rocky

yeah, i sometimes eat a lot of eggs by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 03:51:09 PM EST
but for any way other than the rocky method, i'm often too lazy to bother preparing them.

eggs by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 09:43:51 AM EST
simple scrambled takes maybe 10 minutes, including cleanup.

I'd go with a half. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 06:17:59 PM EST
Better to have not enough than have too much that rots.

Click
how's a CSA compare to farmer's market? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 09:45:31 AM EST
I like selecting what I get, and the amount that I get. I think CSA's may be cheaper, and may last longer though.

csa vs farmers' market by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:11:22 AM EST
with a CSA, you kind of get exposed to a variety of vegetable products and are forced to consume enough produce. Less free will, which is sometimes a good thing. They may have a longer season than a farmers' market. You are also directly supporting some small farming place.

Farmers' markets are also cool, but you're actually shopping, which has pros and cons to it. It may also end up being more expensive.

Meat Share by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Apr 24, 2010 at 08:56:39 AM EST
we have a half-meat-share with Cedar Valley Sustainable and it is completely and utterly wonderful.  Pickup is at Lincoln Square on like the 4th saturday of the month.  The only other meat we buy is for specialty things like sausages or BBQ cuts from Paulina, fish and such, etc.

Teh wife has the details, too lazy to google, but it should be possible to find; they're on facebook at the least.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt