Print Story New (Old) Guitar Day
By nightflameblue (Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 12:49:01 AM EST) (all tags)
A little musical interlude included.

A Little Decay seems appropriate. Recorded with the neck pickup on each side, the bridge pickup in the middle where the lead is, and my stupid cold-recovering voice muddying the whole thing up.

That was my half hour of fun this evening.

The guitar is a 2002 based on the serial number. A Schecter Diamond Series C-1 from 2002 to be exact. Though it looks more like it was made in the eighties, beat to hell, then left to rot outside for a while.

Looks a little something like that from a distance. More silvery in person though.

One of the many divots in the finish shows up here right below the bridge/string ferrules. Pretty spectacular just how rough a shape it's really in. Oh, spot the missing knobs and switch tips?

Finish cracks and the nasty as hell neck pickup.

Back of the body looks like somebody either dropped it when it was cold (poly finish breaks like plastic in those conditions), or applied the tried-and-true razor blade slice and dice routine.

One of the cracks in the finish alongside the neck joint, pretty common in older guitars. Not so common in post-2000 era guitars.

Headstock, with only a couple chips in the finish.

The magic. That neck fits me like a glove.

Mrs. NFB was introduced to the new lady this evening. I was expecting a glance and an eye roll. What I got was a serious look, and a nod. I told her the story. I told her a guitar like this NEVER speaks to me. I pass them by without a second thought. This one? It's like it called to me. Said it needed a home. Told me it needed me. Told me I needed it. I picked it up and played it, and I just knew.

In a rarely serious moment, she whispered reverently, "is that the guitar you'll make your millions with?"

I tried to laugh. It's absurd in the extreme. What came out was a choked gurgle sound, and I caught a sudden chill.

That woman. She's giving me back my dreams, piece by piece. Dreams I left behind for dead over ten years ago. Dreams I dare not allow myself to dream. And I love her for it.

Real or not, a dream can be worth a lot.

The guitar has several weeks, if not months, worth of work to be put into it to be what I know it can be. Yet part of me hesitates to start. Afraid I'll lose that feeling of mojo and comfort. Afraid I'll lose that feeling of an old friend in my hand when I pick her up.

But I will start. This weekend I'll likely break her down and gather up new screws and nuts from the hardware store, and inventory any electronics that need replaced. And consider possibilities for refinishing the body. And see about cleaning up those pickups. They sound too beautiful to toss. Any replacements will only be to the same thing from the same manufacturers.

Enjoy the pics and tune. I have things to think about.

< A weekend. | A Day in the Life -- Suit yourself >
New (Old) Guitar Day | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude, is your server a N64? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:01:46 AM EST
Hey, I like the strummy bits in the middle. It sounded like that bit by John Fogerty. You should re-record it when you're healthy, and use your diaphragm more.

Our connection switches from suck to blow. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 09:31:57 AM EST
Depending on the time of day of course.

Cool by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 08:33:32 AM EST
Nice! The song sounds neat, nice picking! It'll be interesting to hear what you do with it. I don't think I had ever heard you sing for real like that, way to be brave!
Also, how sweet is your wife? You are lucky to have someone who believes in you and your dreams as she obviously does, that is something money can't buy. It's clear you appreciate it too, which is lovely to see.
<meta charset="utf-8">Music On Musicer!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Not doing much with that song. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 09:19:52 AM EST

It's Overkill, from back in the eighties. Yeah, some metal dudes have heart too. Who knew?

And yes, I am very lucky to have the partner I have. And smart enough to appreciate it. I'm glad I had the relationship beating I had before her so I know how bad it can be. I try to never forget that, so I always let her know I appreciate how good she is to me.

What she said. by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 09:28:44 AM EST
Sounds nice. Gee, we should have another one of them music challenge thingies. Oh, right, there is one.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Thanks. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 09:33:57 AM EST
I have a hard time keeping track of those challenge things.

There is? by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 11:29:39 AM EST
Going on now? REally?
*twinkle*twinkle*

Here. by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 12:22:00 PM EST
clickety.

It could use some VS2FP action, and some publicity.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Oh cool! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:26:48 PM EST
Thanks! I had somehow totally missed this.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Will you be entering? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 06:32:23 PM EST
IIRC, you have something of a specially delightful voice.

Oh... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 12:13:50 PM EST
that's so sweet of you to say, though I don't think you guys have every really heard me sing well, just some silly thing that was thrown together in like, an hour. I have always wanted to wow everyone with my prowess (so that blixco isn't the only famous singer! hahahaha) and put something actually impressive up, it may happen this time, particularly if I get together with my Texan music monkey; then we could knock everyone's socks off.  ;)
You know.. or not.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Off you go then! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 07:24:36 PM EST
And TBH, if you only put an hour into the last effort, then I can only wonder what you'll serve up if you put your back into it...

That's a fucking ugly couch, man. by Writer In Residence (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 10:17:57 PM EST

Puppy couch. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 08:17:43 AM EST
It works for its purpose.

Is the purpose to give people AIDS? by Writer In Residence (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 08:11:32 PM EST

New (Old) Guitar Day | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback