Print Story A Day in the Life -- Suit yourself
By ReallyEvilCanine (Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 10:43:01 AM EST) Harmonization, shitbags, The System, Tower Defense (all tags)
Suit yourself

Dear $MistarManager, I told you this would happen. The entire method is wrong. Since you think you know better than me what I can resolve and demand I resolve whatever steaming pile of shit you dump into my queue, my resolution times have drastically increased. And that little "give back" that we coupldn't be given more than two of these steaming piles of shit per day has really come back to bite you in the ass, hasn't it?

Best snacking nut
x-posted to da brog.

It's bitten him on the ass so hard that $MistarManager has been reduced to sending the same kind of "please take an extra ticket or two" begging mail that he used to send before the Harmonization, except now -- by $MegaCorp's own rules -- he can no longer "strongly request" or outright demand any of us actually take another one, and now instead of 2-10 stinkers sitting in the queue there are more than 50! The fucking 'tard.

Just to prove my point I'm going to take three seven of them again. And all of them will be resolved before fucking lunch despite all the additional, stupid, unnecessary, bureacratic proccess-driven TPS report covers that have to be numbered and stapled onto each ticket these days.

Right... Citrix, mine. Daylight Savings Time, mine. File System b0rked, min... WTF? Who the fuck grabbed that? I'm the fucker who wrote the book on this problem after weeks of testing and discovery and work with engineering on source code. No one knows this better than I do. There's a 90% chance that my first answer will be the final answer with no follow-up beyond "thanking yourself for the quickening services offered to ourselves thank you for this are you sure it does the needful and working is always the cases?"

Clickety-click-click cut open window paste click Hmm... J.J.? Who the fuck is this J.J. character? Clickety-click click click Oh, US Special Customer Services, and he's on-line. Ping him through IM:

REC> J.J., that ticket 4c55-5255q1e?
REC> Have you worked with this issue before? This is a matter of unreported Production data loss which doesn't leave a trace or throw an error.
REC> You grabbed the SR just before I could take it.
REC> I'm the guy who did the testing and resolution for the issue and we have all the lab machines set up in case the initial fixes don't work.
No answer. Cut and paste into an email and thirty mintues later, around 2:45pm...
Hello REC,

I have taken ownership for now as $BigChain has special contractual support agreement and being SCS account, we do provide initial work for the issues.

Apparently this issue seems to be fixed in version 3.7.c.12 but as $BigChain has been delivered customizing product supported and I would need to discuss with Product Management, the feasibility of incorporting this issue in they're build.

I would be in touch with you after my discussion with product manager.

You "would be in touch" with me after talking to PM? When I'm the guy you're supposed to go through to get to PM? This'll be interesting. You can "be in touch" all you want, I'm just going to tell you to fuck off. I offered to take it. You had your chance.

But first, a prophylactic mail to management:

Dear $MistarManager

Once again you're in a hole and once again I've thrown you a rope. I took Tickets A, B, C, D, E and F for you. I also tried to take ticket 4c55-5255q1e but J.J. got it first and insisted on working it himself. I tried to explain that I'm the expert and that this issue always ends up going through me which is why it should go TO me but he insisted on holding it. I'm letting you know now that with the massive queue I already have plus these extras I took for you I will not have time to help him when he comes back with his tail between his legs begging for my assistance, especially since it wouldn't count towards my quotas even if it was transferred to me now.

Cheers,
REC

Came the reply: "Understood. Thanks, mate. I really appreciate all your effort."

Eight hours later, as I was trying to catch up to my wife's BejeweledBlitz score a mail popped up in the background. From J.J.

Hello REC,

Based on my discussion with Project lead, we would like to repro this issue in $BigChain build BC4.t.2 RT41. As this is customized build and engineering support would be available, if this issue could be reproduced in the Engineering provided custom build.

I would highly appreciate, if you can provide me exact sequence of steps to reproduce this issue.

Regards,
JJ

Go fuck yourself, J.J. You can look through the notes in 40 related tickets to find the dozen defects, two of which include the full testing protocol (only one of which is correct). You can build your own fucking repro environment. No, I can't share ours with you because we built our machines on a local network which can't route outside our office due to $MegaCorp networking rules. Ain't my quota, ain't my ticket, ain't my problem.

I was thinking of making my own version of a Tower Defense game for $MegaCorp but why bother? Even my own side are creeps who need a good blasting.

< New (Old) Guitar Day | Snow business >
A Day in the Life -- Suit yourself | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oooooh! Someone trespassed in your tiny fiefdom! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 12:42:26 PM EST
This is why I'm so fucking glad I passed on IT "work".

A shame, you have the cultural background for it by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 12:50:38 PM EST

He's indian? (nt) by Driusan (4.00 / 5) #3 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 12:57:48 PM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
It clashes with my PTSD by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:35:20 PM EST
and lack of tolerance for autistic behavior.

Sounds like you're a prime candidate by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:36:12 PM EST
for end user support!

Do the desks come with pre-marked by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:40:37 PM EST
targets?

I believe Action Figures by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:44:08 PM EST
is the preferred term, and yes, they have many.

Not quite by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 01:40:17 PM EST
No matter what happens, anything involved with this particular sort of ticket is going to go through me. Since my time and effort will be requiredI'd rather it count toward my quota than toward any other smeghead's.

"Have you worked on this issue before" was the diplomatic way of writing, "You have no fucking clue what this problem is about or what causes it or how to resolve it, do you, you fucking useless cunt?, but you figured you'd take it for an easy number and then get me to do your fucking work for you."

Let me put it in perspective for you: imagine you're a buck private and the General's daughter is in the family way during her Peace Corps stint somewhere out in Sudan, clearly due to sitting on a dirty toilet seat. The General's daughter needs an abortion and other than you, he's the most qualified to do a D&C because unlike the rest of the hippie well-diggers and bridge builders, he at least watched Grey's Anatomy every week. He also doesn't want you seeing his VIRGIN daughter's naughty bits.

You offer, as an expert, to do the procedure but he insists that only he may see his daughter's holiest of holes, and then when things go horribly wrong he thinks you should tell him everything you know and somehow do the procedure for him without actually touching any part of his daughter's body from her shoulders to her knees.

And if you fuck up or she dies, you'll be facing a firing squad the next time the clock shows oh-three-hundred. Are we clear now? I necessarily tone down and modify events in order to ensure, if not "anonymity", at least plausible deniability.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

BejeweledBlitz by dmg (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 06:02:47 PM EST
 The closest thing to crack cocaine in video game form...

What sort of scores do you get? My best is just under 450000... I keep going back for more - I want to stop but I can't...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Crap. by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Apr 07, 2010 at 06:16:29 PM EST
Talk to the wife. She rules Bejeweled Blitz (but I kick ass in Plants vs. Zombies and Zuma.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

650k by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 01:02:07 AM EST
but only once. Normally between 450k and 500k is my best for the week but mostly 2-300k.

I am obsessed. It is unfortunate. The only saving grace is that, unlike Tetris, it does not flash in front of my eyes when I'm trying to go to sleep.

Impressive!! by dmg (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 06:13:54 AM EST

I get that with bejewelled, but not as badly as I used to with tetris.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
whenever my partner plays.. by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 09:39:01 AM EST
She does have flashing jewels for a while after. So there's no saving grace at all!

Is it just me or by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 11:55:20 AM EST
whenever my partner plays she does have flashing jewels for a while after.
Does that sound like an innuendo to anyone else?

I'm thinking by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 12:13:10 PM EST
it was intentional.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

nope by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 08, 2010 at 01:01:59 PM EST
Video games being involuntarily played in one's head are a serious problem!