Print Story England vs Mexico: I have tickets!
By Tonatiuh (Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 10:20:30 PM EST) (all tags)
  • England vs Mexico: the revenge of Sven.
  • Arbeiten in Deutschland?
  • Trip to Barcelona.
  • and Budapest.
  • and Mexico.
  • Report on IT mercenary activities.

- England vs Mexico: the revenge of Sven.

I have got tickets for the friendly match between England and Mexico. This is a masochist pleasure of mine, I think Mexico has got beatent by 4 goals every time I can remember we have played in Wembley. I don't know what is about the English game that does not quite agree with the way Mexico plays. I will go to the match resigned to the worst, but such is the nature of fandom: hope is eternal.

- Arbeiten in Deutschland?

I may go to work for a couple of months to Frankfurt. This is by no means set in stone, but hopefully it will happen. In any case I would like to spend a couple of months there, my rudimentary German (I am almost certain I got the sentence above wrong) needs polishing with urgency, I am fed up of speaking only 2 EU languages, I studied French for several years back home in Mexico, so in theory I should be able to pick it up very fast, and I studied one year of German during my adventures in East Asia, so it is time to become fully proficient (as for English, I am resigned to treat it as the unloved poor relation of my linguistic affections).

- Trip to Barcelona.

I love Barcelona. The food, the atmosphere. Visiting friends for the umpteenth time, always a pleasure to go there and catch up with the latest developments in Spanish literature and cinema and to have a walk in the Barceloneta where people sunbathe, often with less clothes that you would expect,  naturally and with abandon.

- and Budapest

I know little about Hungary. Lemme see: greatest football team never to win a World Cup, Bela Bartok (his string quartets are awesome), Zoltan Kodaly (who wrote several music text books which I used to learn the fundamentals of musical theory). Er, that is it (OK, Maximilian of Hapsburg was from the Austro-Hungarian royal family, but I actually know precious little about him, except for his demented attempt to become Mexican Emperor, ended abruptly with his execution by firing squad, when the most eminent of Zapotecans refused to sign a pardon).

So I am in urgent need to redress this sorry balance, the Triathlon World Cup will be there (no, I don't race) and I may go. It's nice that the cup is close home this year, although last couple of years trips to Canada and Australia were great I think my personal finances should not be abused, specially taking into account that next year's cup is in Beijing!

- and Mexico

family matters as always, some very pleasurable, and some not so much, suffice to say that I have to deal with the Catholic Church in the eternal pretence that we are all believers, even if many people could not care less about Catholicism or Christianity in general (the growing twisted and sickening cult of Santa Muerte in the country exemplifies this perfectly).

I have told to my relatives in no uncertain terms that I don't believe on all this religious nonsense, nevertheless they insist I play an important role in the religious proceedings that will bring the family together on the day, they have convinced their priest to turn a blind eye to my Dawkinsian atheism. We shall see how things turn out.

- Report on IT mercenary activities.

sometimes I don't really understand big firms.

Pretty much all departments in the firm are staffed by contractors now, often people that are coming back to the place where they were made redundant in the first place.

Why? Because the corporate culture, so important to the efficient running of any firm, rests firmly in the space between the contractor's  ears.

All those savings achieved by sending jobs to exotic locations are somehow balanced out by the quite high rates of the people that actually know what they are doing.

The chaps back in remote locations never last more than 6 months, and they are actually not employees, they are employees of an outsourcing firm, so they are moved at the will of the contracting company leaving the hiring company with a headache since they now have to train a replacement from scratch (yet again).

How all this wastage is considered more efficient is a riddle to me (no, not really, chaps several time zones away from London bill one fifth of what somebody here bills, the difference is that people here actually have industry experience).

Enough ranting. I get paid relatively well, often just for filling forms (OK, complex forms, with technical stuff that most reasonable human beings would never understand, but still), why should I care beyond doing my work as it is required from me?

Don't know, I think all the parties involved get a raw deal (remote workers, local workers, the hiring firm), except a few individuals that position themselves as the great architects of downsizing. Clever people, I suppose they have earned all the money they get.

< I'm too young to be a simulated grandpa | The End of an Era >
England vs Mexico: I have tickets! | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well... by ni (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 10:26:27 PM EST

Honestly, your English is probably better than mine, and I was born into this tongue. I don't think you have much to fear on that front.

England vs Mexico and other things... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 03:35:30 AM EST
Mr Capello seems to take winning friendlies quite seriously, so it should be a good match, although I guess no-one will want to be injured before the Big Cup... Mexico have played well in spurts over the last year,  but they seem prone to strange lapses of concentration. On the bright side for you - so do England goalkeepers at the moment...

The big firm... odds are it doesn't actually make sense in the long term, but firms don't care about the long term. Outsourcing in this way has accounting and tax advantages and the story whoever made the decision will tell will be that:

- They didn't expect to have to hire people like you back on contract, but it's just a temporary measure... for transitional purposes...

and they will have moved on by the time it turns out that it's not such a temporary measure...

Catholicism by theboz (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 04:30:23 PM EST
Although I'm an atheist who is a former protestant, I feel a bit sorry for the Catholic church.  Right now in the U.S. there is a lot of attention being given to molestation charges and whatnot, and it's a big anti-Catholic news cycle.  They are never even-handed, as the U.S. has a long history of anti-Catholic views.  Still, you never once hear a big deal being made about the countless molestation cases amongst all the other sects of Christianity.  I'd bet that molestation is as much of an issue across all versions of Christianity, but Catholics are viewed as some evil minority-based group that scares the Protestant majority so they have to be demonized.  There are bonus points for being able to bash Mexicans and other latinos somewhat secretly by talking trash about Catholics.
- - - - -
Never? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 03:31:07 AM EST
You never heard of the Wenatchee sex abuse investigation of '94-'95?
Sixty arrests, including Sunday School teachers,pastors and day-care workers? Over 29,000 assaults alleged?

Were you in a coma back then?

and if you *were* in a coma, it's okay. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 03:36:57 AM EST
That wouldn't necessarily be your fault, unless you had the diabeetus.

I was busy back then by theboz (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 08:28:14 AM EST
You know, finishing up high school.
- - - - -
I agree in part by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Apr 06, 2010 at 07:54:13 AM EST
There are also other considerations, such as the hierarchy of the Catholic Church vs. the populist model of most Protestant sects. Catholic bishops and the Pope putatively have more responsibility than the typical area or district leader in Protestantism. This leads to controversies within the Catholic Church, e.g. bishops failing to act or even covering up crimes, that just can't occur in much of the Protestant world.

That said, I also think it important not to sweep it under the rug. At the school I'm attending now, the Catholic University of America, I've heard some deeply conservative Catholics say that something has got to be done but it doesn't appear that either the Pope or the US Council of Catholic Bishops is intending to do it.

Cicero, The Republic
I used to be confused by outsourcing... by dmg (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 05:39:02 PM EST
How all this wastage is considered more efficient is a riddle to me

I believe it has to do with fixed costs vs variable costs on a balance sheet and how that effects a corporations credit rating and therefore its cost of funds.
It has little if anything do with whether the outsourced worker is actually cheaper. The issue is in which column does it appear in the accounts.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
wastage is considered more efficient by duxup (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 10:40:53 AM EST
I think the key word there is "considered" much like the banking industry used to be considered stable.

____