Print Story 14:44
By iGrrrl (Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 02:58:43 PM EST) (all tags)
I am ninja mom. I am not a cabbage. I have my gold belt in TKD.

These things are not related.

(1)
As I put on yesterday's twitter feed, Brought jar of boiling-hot water in jar insulated by oven mitt, unshaped mouthguard and scissors to sideline. She's now legal. Ninja Mom! Yes, the first softball game of the season, and I'd forgotten K needed a mouth guard. We had extras from flag football in the fall, so I zipped home from the field, boiled water in a mason jar in the microwave, stuck a lid on it and put it in an oven mitt. Back to the field with scissors and a bottle of cold water and, poof, fitted mouthguard before she was even up to bat. Elapsed time from, "MOM!" to mouthguard? Twelve minutes. I rocked.

(2)
I was going to put a silly poem in here that used to make me laugh as a kid. As an adult, and given some of the other users on this site, it had more innuendo than maybe I want to post. It didn't have to do with cabbages. I keep coming up against the question, "Are you sure you're human, and not a cabbage or something?" Today the answer is not cabbage.

(3)
I took up Tae Kwan Do in the fall when the K started it. I'm ahead of her by a belt. I effing love it, although one friend, when he found out, said, "Tae Kwan Do at our age?? Are you NUTS?" I dunno. Talk to a certain fire fighter in training. How old is too old? I've been working out harder on non-class days, and now class seems not so tough. Next belt I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull off a hundred mountain climbers at a shot (was dragging my knees at the test for the last 10, and that was only 70). Gotta be ready. Need a chin-up bar, too.

Now, kids home, taking them to swimming lessons. Hamburgers for dinner, I think. With beer. Reconciling fitness goals and love of beer may not be easy. Mmmmm, beer.

14:57

< This is not a Latin story. | Posting that which is absolutely necessary >
14:44 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Tae Kwan Do and HapKiDo by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 03:33:38 PM EST
Are the fancy names for "Korean Street Fighting"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

And your point would be? by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 03:47:48 PM EST
;->

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I prefer Tae Kwan Leap myself by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 04:14:29 PM EST
much easier to master the boot to the head.

not so simple by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 08:30:26 PM EST
To get the boot to the head, have to either kick very high, or know how to get them down.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Elbows and knees by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat May 01, 2010 at 06:32:19 AM EST
Women have sharper elbows and knees than men.

You also don't need space to "wind up".

Two daughters and their mum used to train in my dojo, they were utterly pitiless with elbows and knees.

Leaving aside the "never hit a woman" bit, these three were lethal.  They'd close before you got a chance to use your ranged fists and feet, then all of a sudden you'd have an elbow in your face and a knee crashing into your thigh, right where it really, really hurts.

So never mess with ninja mums, or their daughters is the lesson!

I know! by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 07:00:18 PM EST
I'm going shopping for wine this weekend.  And I have whiskey in the cupbaord.  But I've been dropping weight like crazy,and empty calories plus fitness are so so so something.

Click
Or it's like one of the other moms said by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 08:31:34 PM EST
She just ran the Boston Marathon, but a few years back I heard her say that she runs in order to be able to eat burgers and fries. Maybe I work out to afford the calories in beer.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Either she is banditing by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 08:47:05 PM EST
or I don't believe anybody can qualify for Boston if they just "run to eat". I stopped running about the 100th run, so I don't know if they allow bandits (non-registered, non-qualified runners) to run the thing like they used to.

Wumpus

I think a 40 year old man needs to do something like a 3 hour marathon to qualify for Boston. I didn't have a chance to do even that at 25.

She qualified by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 09:41:40 PM EST
She said it about four years ago, and I think was either dissembling or got serious in the mean time.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 11:11:49 PM EST
tomorrow and Sunday I should bike enough that I can have some whiskey or even some sugar.  But most days I only work out 30-35 minutes, so I have to watch the calories.

So far it's brought on a 50 pound loss, so I keep that in mind when I want to eat a bag of bread.

Click

I want to hear the poem! by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed May 05, 2010 at 12:01:21 PM EST

For you, Dr. H., the moon by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu May 06, 2010 at 12:19:03 AM EST
I wish I were a grapefruit
And here's the reason why
When you came to eat me
I'd squirt you in the eye.

In the book it had a picture of a grapefruit half, and hand with a spoon trying to get out a section, and the drawn suggestion of citrus juice flying toward someone's eye. But, you know, some of the dirtier minds on this site....

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

14:44 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback