Print Story Marmite
Food
By hulver (Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:10:14 PM EST) (all tags)
When I was a kid, Marmite had real kick. I loved it on toast, but you couldn't put too much on or it would strip the roof of your mouth off.

It had a depth of flavour that was outstanding.

I remember tasting Vegemite, somebody told me that it was Australian Marmite. I'd only heard about because of the "Men at Work" song.

It was like Marmite, but it was Marmite for the weak.

Then every so often they would "Improve" the flavour of Marmite. Everytime it would get blander, and more like Vegemite. The latest version of the black and yellow pot is very little like the Marmite I remember. It's like the ghost of the original flavour.

Then, I saw this stuff "Marmite XO". I bought it, much to the disgust of J. "You've already got two pots of Marmite at home, what do you want more for?". (An ill judged experiment with Marsdens Marmite, just a bland as the normal stuff).

I made a couple of slices of toast. One was spread with the normal Marmite, one with Marmite XO.

I tasted the first. Normal Marmite. OK.

I tasted the XO. Mmmmmm. Now this is Marmite. That's the stuff I remember. Oh Marmite, how I've missed you. The firm black saltyness of you spread on my toast.

My mouth is watering now just thinking about it.

Marmite XO, buy it if you can find any. I will be laying down supplies.

< RIP Jack. | Struwwelpeter >
Marmite | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bloody hell by komet (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:21:53 PM EST
I'm going to book a flight just to get some Marmite XO.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
If I find some more by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:25:40 PM EST
I might be able to arrange an emergency shipment.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Very kind thank you by komet (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:34:35 PM EST
but I need to stock up on pork pies and Ginsters anyway, so I think a flight will be unavoidable.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Pork pies and Ginsters don't travel well by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 06:46:51 AM EST
...except around the waistline.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Pies travelling around the waistline? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed May 05, 2010 at 11:45:11 AM EST

Excellent by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:21:54 PM EST
I shall commence search immediately...

Firm black saltyness! by lolwhat (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 12:57:27 PM EST
Wait, is this a metaphor? I thought you were happily married - well, married, anyway.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.
I will try it by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 01:17:03 PM EST
But nowadays prefer a thick layer of Vegemite, rather than a thin one of somethind stronger. Yes I know it's wrong.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I buy my marmite at the Brit store by me0w (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 01:46:55 PM EST
And put it on toast and then put cheese on top .... so tasty .... *drool*

Another fact about Marmite by komet (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 02:22:03 PM EST
that I recently discovered is that it goes spectacularly poorly with garlic. It tastes wrong in an entirely novel way.

(I made garlic butter out of one clove and some butter, spread it on bread, and spread marmite on top.)

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

tastes wrong in an entirely novel way. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 02:27:33 PM EST
I gotta find a way to use that sentence somewhere...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I will have to try that. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 02:58:45 PM EST
Just to see how wrong it could be.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Mint also doesn't work. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 03:55:57 AM EST
Badly, as it turns out.

Thanks for the reminder by priestess (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 03:16:38 PM EST
Ah, yeah, I remember reading that was gonna appear at some point.

Added Marmite XO to the Tesco order coming tomorrow. Along with the two squeezy Marmite things already ordered. And the Marmite Rice-cakes. And Cereal bars.

Mmmmmmmmmmarmite.

Pre..............
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

Only in ngland do they make by Writer In Residence (1.00 / 2) #12 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 03:39:14 PM EST
something that tastes like something any other civilized country would rightly throw away and then tell you that you are a strong person for not dying when you ate something so horrid. No wonder people don't notice the teeth situation....

That's fine... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 06:51:44 PM EST
...but it's no Bacon Salt.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

You've got our address, right? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Apr 28, 2010 at 05:59:40 AM EST
I knew Marmite was going down the shitter when I saw the "Marmite made with champagne" jars in Tesco last year. We could use a couple jars of the good stuff here in the Dogpound.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

I feel physically sick just thinking about it by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed May 05, 2010 at 11:48:41 AM EST
That and ... peanut butter.

Oh dear, I lost the battle, brb

Marmite | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback