Print Story Movie Talk: Star Trek
By duxup (Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 12:30:31 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm on the cutting edge of independent media here, try to keep up.

Star Trek, like Star Wars, is a massive, once awesome, franchise well past its prime. What has been created in recent installments have just been references to what made them great without much of anything to write home about, and at times plenty to gripe about. I've accepted that and don't expect much of anything from any such films or so forth.

So I fired up the latest Star Trek movie and found it was at least better than the trailer made it seem.  It is in fact just an action heavy flick in a Star Trek framework but for being just that it didn't feel too awkward and lets face it Star Trek has for a while been short on the action.  The Star Trekisms and famous lines in the film are noticeable but they didn't pound them home too much, nor did the film wait a couple beats after someone pulled off a popular Star Trek line to let it sink in. The Star Trekisms for the most part felt like they fit if only because there wasn't much emphasis on them.

The alternate time line story isn't much to write home about. Evil time traveler shows up to do some crazy stuff. Evil dude isn't very interesting and at times is laughable. He seemed to me to bear a distinct similarity to some overweight angry high school goth dude who doodles goth stuff in a notebook and goes home at the end of the day to cuddle with his cat and yell at mom.   Much like everything else the flick moves so fast that you don't get time to dell on it. I give them credit for avoiding the District 9 / Avatar need to have a big long stupid physical "boss fight". Even good old Star Trek did that too often.

The standard Trek characters are alright. I know they're all in the academy and / or young and all but the all the beautiful people are so similarly hip and stylish I found it a bit silly.  Granted the original Trek seemed to try to be awfully hip and ... yeah it is a bit silly too so no pass there. I don't think the ultra stylish / hip folk were a creative choice in the current film as much as an aesthetic marketing choice. Speaking of marketing early on there are a couple of product placements and a song... that are awkward and dumb.

Another note is how it is kind of weird that when firing weapons the Enterprise makes sounds that seem grafted from some 1950s or 1960s B grade sci-fi flick, or maybe the original Star Trek series?

As noted it is an action focused flick and it doesn't disappoint there. Lots of action, and nicely done. Unlike some flicks it doesn't try to outdo itself from one scene to the next, it just does the action well.  The action is most of the content of the film but how much can you say about well done action scenes?  They're good.

All in all an alright film. Star Trek? In name maybe, but there are things missing. There is nothing of the social commentary,  not much of any time spent dwelling on the human experience as the franchise is known for, and the characters border on caricatures.  Did the film need social commentary or such things? Not this one, and as I noted above the old franchise is gone so maybe it doesn't have to have it. It won't be Star Trek to me but I'll watch the next film anyway.

I give it a solid 2.6 out of 3.14.

Side note: By the end of the film I was pretty much done with watching the movie behind glass with a lot of lens flare and glare. It works as an atheistic choice at times but by the end it overstayed its welcome. I could live without ever seeing that effect again.
< Going to Las Vegas | on RTFO >
Movie Talk: Star Trek | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I have a headhunter friend in Papua New Guinea. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:06:35 AM EST
He's already seen Star Trek and wants to know if you've experienced any ill effects from your cryo-sleep.

Jenn and I by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 09:49:21 AM EST
Watched a couple movies Sat night off the old pay-per-view: Zombieland and The Hangover. At some point I'll be getting a Blu-Ray player, when I'll be able to see a couple of Christmas gifts: District 9 and Watchmen. Plus I've still got Hellboy2, Hancock, and like Stepbrothers I think on DVD.

It's like the past couple years just never happened, movie wise.

You got b-r discs before you have a player? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 10:45:26 AM EST
That's pretty progressive.

Yeah by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 11:02:24 AM EST
The idea was that I was going to get a blu-ray player shortly after Christmas, but that kind of fell by the wayside. Saw a Sony model in Best Buy the other day for like $139, I figure it's time, even if the shelf life of the format is probably limited by online or whatever is next.

How it should have ended... by Zoomzoom (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:04:11 AM EST
But this is how it should have ended.

Having not seen the film I've no idea if the above contains any spoilers .... I would supsect not.

Well, that site killed my productivity. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 10:43:27 AM EST
Thanks!

http://www.tvtropes.org by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 10:50:24 AM EST
Just sayin'

Liked it in the theater. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:25:54 AM EST
But haven't bothered to watch it since. The flaws become more noticeable with time. The lens flare is the most obvious. But also there's the overabundance of bottomless pits of various sorts. The quick promotions in Starfleet. Product placement.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I also watched it on DVD not long ago by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 10:13:31 AM EST
The whole time travel gimmick and alternate time line?  Tired.  Yes, they admitted it in the film that it was cliche and a cheat, but just because you admit that you are cheating doesn't make it acceptable.  It's far harder to make a movie that fits into a pre-defined continuity than it is to make a movie based on an alternate timeline.  It's like fan fiction.  Cheap and unworthy of professionals.

---------------
I liked it. by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:30:00 PM EST
However, I'm a simpleton who likes cheesy escapist video entertainment.

Me, too! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:39:31 PM EST

+1 by hulver (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 03:26:04 AM EST
It was far far better than any of the other Dross that's passed for a Star Trek film lately. I enjoyed it.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Movie Talk: Star Trek | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback