Print Story So here's a fun one
By jayhawk88 (Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 09:16:07 PM EST) (all tags)
Advice needed from parents who have/had toddlers.

Kayla got out of her crib tonight. Like, they were fussy, I went to check on them, and there she stood in the middle of the room when I opened the door. Putting her back in a bit later, she was able to demonstrate to me that she could get her leg up over the railing (bed is already set to the lowest possible setting), and I assume was able to just pull herself up and over. What's weird is we didn't hear a sickening thud or anything like that, so unless Professor Xavier comes to visit me soon, I'm just going to assume we lucked out that she didn't break her neck or whatever.

So, yeah. They turned 18 months this month. Is toddler bed the only option here? They haven't really hit the point yet where we can just say, "This is your bed now" and expect them to stay in it. Just thinking about the nights we'd have trying to get them to sleep with the run of the room makes me cringe. Outside of chicken wire or hobbling, we're kind of scratching our heads.

< Boston, yuo fail it. | There was hail! >
So here's a fun one | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Once thirteen year old figured out how to climb by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 09:31:43 PM EST
out of her crib (maybe 18 months, she got real independent then, and started picking out her own clothing), we kept the side down. Eventually we got her a day bed.

We did close her bedroom door, and we were pretty strict about her staying in her room at bedtime. If she wanted to get up at 3 in the morning to play, she did.

IAWTP by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 04:34:49 AM EST
Side down. If they're climbing out, they're going to get out anyway.

You just need to make it clear that bedtime is for going to bed.

If they get a reaction from you (shouting, begging, bribery) they're going to carry on doing it. Getting out of bed, wondering around the house etc.

Neutral tone of voice. "It's bed time, go back to bed". Put them back in bed, no cuddles or reward.

Eventually they get bored of it and just go to bed.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I think... by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:35:17 AM EST
...overall we've done a fair to midland job of enforcing "bedtime" without a whole lot of drama. They do fuss every once in a while but generally, if you say, "time for bed", they'll trundle off and down the hall without too much protest. The problems of course are:
  • There are two of them. It's not uncommon for us to put them in bed, it's obvious they're both tired as all get-out, and still we'll hear them chattering in there for close to an hour
  • Megan needs a lot less sleep than Kayla. She's the one that will fight it terribly, run around trying to keep herself awake, etc.
It's sounding like big girl beds I guess. The nightmare scenario I have is two girls feeding off each others activity lose in the room for hours on end, but I guess it's something we had to deal with sooner or later. I think we were just hoping that we could avoid this until they had a bit more understanding and logic bouncing around their brains.

Is that really a problem? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 11:00:53 AM EST
Best to let them fall asleep when they're tired, but confined to their room. They're gonna chatter no matter what you do.

toddler bed or just skip to a real bed. by clock (4.00 / 3) #2 Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 09:48:12 PM EST
The Dude was in a real bed as soon as we decided that the crib wasn't going to hack it anymore.  The key for us was a baby gate on his room so that he couldn't roam freely through the house (until he discovered that he was far stronger than the intended limits of said gate, but that took a while).

Yeah, sounds like the crib is done.  The best you can hope is to confine them to the room.  You'll find 'em sleeping on the floor a lot of the time, but it's all good.

Good luck!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah, agree with other commenters by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #3 Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 10:09:00 PM EST
My brother started climbing out of his crib before he could actually walk. My mom would find him crawling down the hallway, on a mission for whatever was in his head at the time. They transitioned him to a "big bed" pretty soon after that started happening. It had a railing to keep him from rolling out at night, but it kept him from potentially hurting himself when he'd climb out.
PHOTOS by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 12:33:14 AM EST
I have no advice but demand photos!

____
I know by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:42:14 AM EST
I'm a horrible person.

iunno shake it a little by jxg (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 03:06:54 AM EST

Child's bed or a low Single is fine by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 07:22:28 AM EST
Stair gate on the bedroom door, or all other upstairs doors lockable, and stair gate at top of stairs.  Get used to picking sleeping children off the floor, that phase lasts a long time.

We also removed all hard / noisy toys from the bedroom, for a long time, so night time unsupervised play is restricted to soft toys.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

I recommend by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 07:27:42 AM EST
Asking the local psychiatric hospital where they get their padding for their cells, and fitting out the nursery similarly. No beds to fall out of and no damage to the inmate baby!

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
It's funny by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:39:56 AM EST
When they were ~2-3 months old, they start making you believe things like, "A soft rubberized bridle to keep the pacifier in place would not be child abuse", and then it's "tethering them to a stake stuck in the yard is perfectly reasonable"....now, "Leg shackles attached to the crib would only be a temporary thing, after all".

OK, so maybe it's not so much "funny" as it is "disturbing", but you get my point.

Lid on the bed. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 08:20:30 AM EST
Tie it to the rails.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Coffin by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 27, 2010 at 01:09:14 AM EST
Seal them in till morning.

This idea was given to me by a vampire I met in a bar

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Houdini by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 11:25:03 AM EST
Yep, no point trying to keep 'em in the crib now that they've successfully escaped once or twice.

I used a doorknob lock gizmo instead of a baby gate to keep people confined to the bedroom. Much easier to install.

So here's a fun one | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback