Print Story The Enchiridion
Love
By gzt (Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 12:38:12 PM EST) gzt, southern tier, squats, justice, 70s big (all tags)
The Enchiridion by Epictetus.
Of things some are in our power, and others are not.

It may be time to slow down the 70's big experiment. I'm getting to be about as big as I think I will get (in some aspects) and strength progression seems to be grinding. I mean, in less than two weeks, unless there's a hitch, I'll be squatting 365#x3x5. That kind of progress can't continue forever. Eventually, more complicated programming is needed with a slower rate of progression, which also requires less fuel to keep it going. I'm still, of course, trying to be 70's big, I just may need a lot less milk. At that point, it also becomes appropriate to try to cut back the fat a little, too. Slowing down a bit is also a good idea because, apparently, my cholesterol is a little high. Am considering whether to try to move down to the 231# weight class for competition. And doing just a little bit of running in the mornings. Just a little.

In other news, I cleaned an easy 225# on Friday. Huzzah. Then yesterday I was powercleaning 195# for sets across. I really like the olympic lifts.

I'm going downtown like a bass machine. Going to Chicago like a bass machine.

Reposted from BlueOregon's diary so my wife sees it: homeopathic bomb.

I'm going to Chicago to party with Oprah.

I like my wife. I like beer. To give my wife beer, you have to be careful. Dark, heavy stuff is good, but it can't be overwhelmingly dark. It needs some delicacy. Porters work well, as do some stouts, but the richer stouts that I like are too much. I like everything from Southern Tier that I have ever had. We tried their porter recently and it was most excellent.

< where have all your downloads gone? | By your command >
The Enchiridion | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Southern Tier is okay by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 12:44:28 PM EST
from what I've tried, but I prefer Saranac, given a choice.

the difference is... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:11:05 PM EST
...Saranac doesn't make it out here.

There's actually by ni (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 12:45:39 PM EST
no consistent difference between modern stouts and porters except what they're called. The categories have been essentially meaningless for a long time. Roasted barley used to be the defining criteria, but that's no longer the case, and hasn't been for a while.

When I talk about them, I think I generally use 'porter' to mean sweeter beers, but this really doesn't hold up well to thought.

right, but american craft brews... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:10:30 PM EST
...tend to go for a certain "feel" with their porters and a certain "feel" with their stouts. Stouts can get more extreme than porters - I like things like Russian Imperial Stouts or other stronger stouts where there is no doubt in anybody's mind it should be called a stout. There's some overlap in what people call them, but I think it's generally the case that whatever's in the "porter" bucket will generally appeal to my wife and most things in the "stout" bucket will, but the more richly flavored ones won't. But, yes, no actual distinction between them.

There are by ni (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:19:43 PM EST
probably trends, yeah. (I mean, even by chance alone there are going to be anywhere.) But there really aren't any absolutes, or even strong (or useful) trends. You mention the case of RIS, but there are many very strong porters -- ie, this or this or even this grim monster (all of which are by American craft brewers). The idea that "there is no doubt in anybody's mind" that a strong dark ale is a stout simply isn't true.

True enough by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:33:41 PM EST
Mmm flying dog...

Anyway. When you're dealing with 6-packs or the occasional 4-pack, what I said holds for the most part. But, yes.

Trying beer by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:11:05 PM EST
Should anyone be in proper Cambridge at the end of May, you can try lots of beers.

running makes you weak! by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:55:59 PM EST

Yes, it does. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 01:57:53 PM EST
That's why I'm keeping it very moderate. I don't want to die just because I took up running, though it is a very real risk.

< 30 Seconds of strenuous activity by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 04:04:34 PM EST
may cause your heart to asplode. Use caution!

Well, I was more concerned about... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 04:07:57 PM EST
...getting weak and dying. Weakness -> death. Strong people are harder to kill. They die less than weak people. Science fact.

I see you've studied the Veidt Method. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 04:24:18 PM EST
If you order the next installment, immortality will be in your grasp!

Go Epictetus! [nt] by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:13:11 PM EST

It's great, isn't it? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 02:17:41 PM EST
There would be fewer whiny wankers around if Epictetus were still required reading. I like him a lot more than Marcus Aurelius.

Perhaps by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 26, 2010 at 05:32:21 PM EST
Although, it could be that there would be the same number of whiny wankers except they would be whining about Epictetus.

Cicero, The Republic