Print Story English Self determination
Politics
By dmg (Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 05:28:20 PM EST) (all tags)
Is it an idea who's time has come

Apart from the obvious vile racism of mentioning illegal immigration (a difficult subject indeed!) you have to admit, apart from that, he raises some pretty valid points.

It's amazing how passive the English are despite being fucked over on a daily basis in so many different ways. How can these scenarios be allowed to stand? They are simply perverse. Or do the English actively want to subsidise Scottish school dinners? I mean, this is a democracy, so that's the only rational explanation. I really don't get it. Can anyone explain?
< I didn't see Spiderman 3, but this is so true: | Mostly ME! >
English Self determination | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah, it's wrong. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 05:50:02 PM EST
I'd vote for an English parliament in a referendum, but it's really miles from my priority for the Westminster election.

It's the unfairness that gets me... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 06:01:53 PM EST
A country "fair for all" unless you're English and can't afford your prescriptions. I understand the bigger picture, but the continuation of the 'West Lothian question' demonstrates a certain disregard by the powers that be for the 'democracy' they continually espouse.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I don't buy the prescriptions argument. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 08:55:49 AM EST
I know I get £200 worth of drugs a month for £10. Why should I be complaining?

because if you lived in Scotland by dmg (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 04:57:38 PM EST
You would presumably get twice as much, paid for by a levy on the English.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Illegal immigrants? by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 06:34:14 PM EST
I believe the polite term is "undocumented workers" (you know, like they misplaced their worker visas).

Two different issues by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 07:49:38 PM EST
`Illegal immigrant' covers everyone who migrates, for whatever reason, that happens to break the laws of entering the country to which they've migrated.

`Undocumented worker' covers only those who have migrated, whether permanently or temporarily, to find work.

I'm not convinced that the latter constitutes the bulk of the former. It might. My perception may be skewed by having a family member that works at a certain government agency responsible for keeping track of a particular type of illegal immigrant. Or it may not.

Cicero, The Republic
Thank you, CPT Obvious. by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 07:59:03 PM EST
My original comment was a reference to illegal alien advocates who use the term "undocumented worker" in order to subvert the discussion because the term seems relatively benign.

My apologies by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 05:51:44 AM EST
I'd forgotten that this was the Internet and that I should stay on topic in the most narrow fashion imaginable.

I really ought to pay more attention to netiquette.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm pretty sure you just made that up by theboz (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 07:53:15 AM EST
I've never heard the term "undocumented worker" used before.  In fact, that sounds like I would have been an undocumented worker in high school when I mowed neighbors yards for cash.
- - - - -
Guy Fawkes Day *is* the English nat'l holiday. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 06:39:14 PM EST
That guy was dumb.

enlighs self-determinism by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 04:25:00 AM EST
As a significant vocal chunk of people who would care about Englishness are mainly nostalgic for the Empire and assume englishness isn't a matter of self determination because they're already determining for everyone else, it is a non-issue.

For a Free Republic of Yorkshire!

Couldn't watch all of it. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 06:35:05 AM EST
Presenter was a Richard Madeley wannabe, and the backing track sounded like a church band.

But even so, English determinism is not interesting enough.  Oooh, look, Strictly X Cum Factor Dancing Makeover's on!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 08:32:42 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I don't recall ever blaming anything on immigrants by dmg (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 05:03:59 PM EST
But certainly most if not all of what is wrong with the UK today can be blamed fairly and squarely on our membership of the EU. English independence is a sideshow compared to that.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
English Self determination | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback