Print Story I'm too young to be a simulated grandpa
Books
By georgeha (Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 12:52:13 PM EST) reading, best health care system in the world (all tags)
Plus A Clash of Kings, A Man Called Intrepid, Fighter, 1491 and other book related blather, award!, give me my money!, AF return and less.

Poll: Favorite Easter candy?

For extra credit, thirteen year old brought home a baby simulator last weekend. I'm too young to be a simulated grandpa. The thing would shriek randomly, between 45 minutes and two hours, around the clock. The only way to stop it was to hold a key in place for ten to fifteen minutes.

By Sunday, thirteen year old was exhausted and suffering from a sinus headache. She's generous, we suffered, too. She was sitting on the couch, in the early morning sunshine, and complaining about the sunshine, but she didn't want to move, since she was watching TV.

I've had worse weekends, but not recently.

It wasn't all bad, when the kids were finally in bed, we got caught up on our Desperate watching. More room on the DVR for Pokemon. We also gathered a lot of books to donate, four boxes for my sister_in_law's elementary school, a few boxes of adult and public school inappropriate books (you know, they mention God), for the Salvation Army. We had to, we bought a few books at the library book sale.

Eight year old also won an award in her Art Class, and I did get some beer brewed, an Oktoberfest.

Speaking of books, I finished the next book in Martin's AGOT series, A Clash of Kings, in which there's more murder and mayhem and fighting, with fewer big characters dying. On to book three.

I also finished Deighton's Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain, I picked it up for fifty cents from the discard pile of our local library branch. It's good, a gearhead oriented view of the Battle of Britain, delving into why fuel injected plans could pull negative gee manuevers that carb planes couldn't, why the Bf109's cannon was not so good, why Messerschmidt's glider bias made for a less effective fighter, and all about radar.

In final book news, I finished A Man Called Intrepid, one of the big thick paperbacks I picked up at the AmVets last month. It's the story of Sir William Samuel Stephenson, a Canadian who flew in World War I, and ended up heading the illegal British Security Co-ordination in New York City leading up to World War II (remember, it started on December 7th, 1941) and acting as an intermediary between Churchill and Roosevelt, helping Roosevelt in his impeachable actions violating neutrality to support Britain, and trying to keep J. Edgar Hoover from interfering. I was surprised to learn that Camp X, a spy training camp, was just around the lake from us. I'm also surprised that the American right doesn't bring up Roosevelt's impeachable and possibly illegal actions in helping Britain, just the New Deal and Japanese concentration camps.

Speaking of the English, AF_mom was in town, and eight year old got to spend a few hours with her Wednesday. She was hoping for a Thursday afternoon visit, no luck.

In final, final book news, 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
In short, the New World was much more advanced and populated than is commonly recognized, but Old World Pandemics (smallpox and measles mostly) wiped out 90=97% of the population and destroying most of the native civilizations. It's got lots more to do, a high level summary of various newer theories.

Money money money

I've been trying to deal with my HSA so I can get reimbursed for our $2,600 drug problem. It took a while, the ATM offered three account choices, checking, savings and credit card. It's called a Health Savings Account, so I tried Savings. No luck. They gave me a credit card to use with it, I tried Credit, no luck.

Eventually I got some of my money out of my HSA, I'm only $2250 down. Of course there was a slight complication, an armored car was blocking the ATM lane, so I had to get out of my car (in the midst of New Wave Wednesday) and walk up to the ATM inside the bank lobby. How unAmerican can you get?

But that's not all the good financial news, my wife was offered a job in a clothing store know for selling overstock and last year's fashions. It may end up being about half what she was making at the doctor's office, at first (a lower hourly rate, fewer hours), but still, $400 a month really helps with the bills.

In work news, I should mention that fifty years ago my corps' immensely disruptive product was first shipped to a customer.

The weekend will be busy, we have a birthday party for my mother in law at 1:00, and in the evening, my niece is having her First Baptimunion. I also want to drop off wedding presents.

We're also hoping to take eight year to her last art class for most of the class, we'll need to leave early to get to the birthday party in Tonawanda by 1:00.

< Lady Grey | England vs Mexico: I have tickets! >
I'm too young to be a simulated grandpa | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Poll Clarification Urgently Required by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:20:34 PM EST
Is that Cadbury Easter Creme Eggs, or Cadbury Mini Eggs? I'd bvote for either, but if I had to choose, it would be Mini Eggs FTW.

I'll add mini eggs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:25:06 PM EST
though I've never had them, and suspect I am being trolled.

Mini Eggs are genuine by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:32:26 PM EST
They are small solid chocolate eggs with a specled candy shell (i.e. they look like small birds eggs)

Linky example

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
What kind of barbaric country do you live in? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:39:23 PM EST
Never had Mini Eggs? What about the Cadbury Flake?

That's not barbarism, it's freedom! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:49:24 PM EST
Those flakes do look enticing.

Nothing like them by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:01:54 PM EST
As far as I can tell, they are just Cadbury chocolate. The thin layers and air space makes them taste different though.

When I was a kid, we used to get a flake stuck into our soft serve ice cream.

We can't get those ostrich eggs either. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 03:58:40 PM EST
Apparently we just don't do easter big enough over here.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Giant Cadbury Eggs by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:24:27 PM EST
Only 10,000 calories!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

mini eggs? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 10:02:52 PM EST
an abomnination!

Click
Infidel by marvin (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 10:22:04 PM EST
There is one true egg, and it is small, with a candy coating.

Death to the unbeliever!!! A curse upon him and his family, to the seventh generation.

hey I like robin eggs by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 06, 2010 at 07:11:16 PM EST
As I knew them as a child. But they are nothing compared to the full sized creme egg.

Click
VP2FP by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 01:48:55 PM EST
Vote the poll to the front page?

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:45:03 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

a pang in their heart is good practice by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #10 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:51:46 PM EST
for when Kraft starts replacing sugar with HFC in Cadbury's chocolate.

Point of order by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 04:39:53 AM EST
Cadburys is not chocolate.

Poll clarification by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 03:16:36 PM EST
Peeps burn so much more nicely than the other options, jelly beans work in slingshots better than most of the other options, lamb tastes nicer than all of the other options.

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 04:31:14 PM EST
Candy, the stripper who'll be working the early shift at the Lusty Lady on Easter.

My school by dmg (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:49:03 PM EST
Was pretty much next door to one of the main airfields involved in the battle of Britain. Indeed it was named after an American fighter pilot.

They have built a housing estate on it now. Some of the street names reflect the history...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
you dontmention it... by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 11:26:16 PM EST
But Mrs ha's inability to maintain a job must be frustrating, even if its explicable.

I try to budget just on my salary by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 08:36:43 AM EST
so anything she brings in helps reduce CC debt, but it can be frustrating.

Plus, I've detached by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 09:37:49 AM EST
I bent over backward for the phlebotomy and Red Cross, and that only lasted a few months. Now, whatever.

Tough space by Phage (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 03:41:18 PM EST
Been there. Need a holiday ?

All expenses paid? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 12:43:09 AM EST

Heh. You wish by Phage (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 05:12:43 AM EST
But I do have a sofa bed.