Print Story on fools
By clock (Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 09:03:48 AM EST) (all tags)
and stuff.

The temperatures are supposed to be in the 80s for the next week or so.  Tomorrow might have a high of 86.  A new record.  So much for global warming, AMIRITE?!?!  All this means is that I really need to accelerate my work on the new guitar.  Gotta get the body put together and what not in the next week or so.  This has more to do with my ability to function in the garage with power tools than the effect of the heat on the materials.  The sooner I get the top and back glued to the sides, the better I will feel.

On the topic of instruments, I'm really happy with my first guitar.  The action is a bit high and the slots in the nut need to be filed out a little more, but the sound is wonderful and I really dig the wider fretboard and neck.  It makes it feel more like a classical guitar and is more oaf friendly.  Again, it ain't pretty but it does sound good.

Today, Stacky and The Dude are taking me to lunch.  I will parade them around the office as proof that I have a family and some folks will be appeased.  It's been a bad week at the office.  The RIF-fairy visited.  Not cool.

My weight is higher than I would like for it to be.  I need to get back into a good exercise routine.  Cycling in Houston isn't really doing it for me.  I loath the idea of going back to the gym so I'm thinking that some free weights are probably my best bet.  Not super stoked about it, but I need to get some strength training in.  No, I do not want to be 70s big.  I'd just like to shape up a bit.

My wife mentioned to me the other day that since we don't really eat meat anymore that I need to pick up a vitamin B complex of some sort.  She told me this in between my new found bouts of narcolepsy.  She also said something about fatigue, but I didn't hear it all because I was snoring.  Never assume that a man is taking a multivitamin just because it is in the cupboard, kay?

Tonight we will likely finish Baldur's Gate II (courtesy of our local blockhead!).  We played as a cleric and a necromancer.  We focused our feats and took on the "buy a level" quests.  As a result, we're way overpowered going into the end of this game.  The last two bosses didn't do any damage to us, were killed on the first try, and the total encounter time was under two minutes.  We're fucking badasses, yo.  The hurt, she will be brought!

I'm reading Dos Passos for the first time.  I'm so undereducated in the realm of literature.  I've read a lot but there are huge holes.  So I'm filling them.  In passing, a friend of mine mentioned an iTunesU lecture series by some dude at Yale on Literary Theory.  Because my podcasts were all used up I put one on for the sake of being able to say I tried it and so far I'm on the 4th lecture.  It's really interesting stuff.  I'm a little surprised, I guess.  I mean, everyone knows it's fun to say "hermeneutics" but who knew talking about it would be interesting?  I would venture to say that no one did.

"Let The Great World Spin" is a wonderful book but is so fucking depressing.  It should be required reading but do not serve this book with alcohol.  Really.

Easter dinner with the in-laws and my dad and stepmom.  At our place.  Go team.

Really tired this week.  One more week until vacation.

< A Day in the Life | Lady Grey >
on fools | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
We're still expecting the RIF fairy by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 09:37:12 AM EST
We did have some people take the voluntary RIF, and we've closed down groups, so we'll see how many the RIF fairy picks.

It doesn't help my mood.

rif fairy by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 11:49:45 PM EST
The rif fairy is scheduled to come to my workplace in june. I need to get my june work schedule filled before then.

Literature by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:19:37 AM EST
yeah, you need to read more Heinlein.

this is what I said to myself (kind of) by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 11:49:08 AM EST
I was feeling tired but not yet sleepy last night, so I glanced over at our bookshelves and noticed Stranger in a Strange Land - and I was like "whoa, I haven't read that in over a decade".

It's a fun read!

Eat your vitamins by gpig (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:19:48 AM EST
Nutritional yeast is a good source of B-complex, it has a mild flavour and you can use it in lots of different ways.
(,   ,') -- eep
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:39:02 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

forgot about the iron by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:43:43 AM EST
since clock can't eat high-iron veggies, he probably has iron problems, too.  maybe he shouldn't go veg at all (then again, he does eat bacon on the weekends).

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:45:43 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

eggs are not vegan by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 05:20:47 PM EST

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 05:51:32 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Except for vitamin D. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 12:08:50 PM EST
Important caveat.

actually, the article is crap. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 12:26:07 PM EST
Looking at calcium and D supplementation from the standpoint of cardiovascular benefit and then dismissing it? People recommend it to prevent osteoporosis. It's a very good idea, especially for women and vegetarians. From a risk standpoint, it has a very good payoff: low cost, high potential benefit, low risk of adverse consequences. They're right about stuff like vitamin A, C, and E, etc, though.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:31:36 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

just stand outside for 15 mintues by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 05:21:50 PM EST
get off the computer!

That doesn't work in Seattle this time of year. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 08:30:53 PM EST
Too far north for therapeutic UV.

I believe that Clock is TX rather than WA by lm (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:03:51 PM EST
Oh, right. I'm sorry. It's all about you.

Cicero, The Republic
MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Apr 03, 2010 at 03:57:42 AM EST
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

C'mon, man! You've got a teen in the house, so you know the drill.
You can have some of my salve for that butthurt.

sure it does. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Apr 06, 2010 at 08:36:58 PM EST
You just gotta spend 45 minutes outside.  I know, I know.  But it'll also improve your mood.

Click
The -mites are strongly flavoured by gpig (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 12:11:53 PM EST
Nutritional yeast is not.

The good thing about nutritional yeast is that you can sprinkle it on salad or stir some into soup, it seems to me act as a mild flavour enhancer.
(,   ,') -- eep

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 02:57:20 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

It's not necessarily bad by gpig (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 03:49:16 PM EST
I'm just assuming that some folks might want B-complex without a strong yeasty taste ....
(,   ,') -- eep
yeast in our house by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 10:44:10 AM EST
always turns into tasty bread!

This kind of yeast is not for bread making by gpig (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 12:14:16 PM EST
Or any other kind of baking or brewing, you just eat it. Sounds weird but it works.

(I commend your home baked bread efforts, too!)
(,   ,') -- eep

yes yes by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Apr 02, 2010 at 05:22:48 PM EST
i must be losing my snark touch.

Baldur's Gate II by duxup (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 10:45:25 AM EST
I think I started that game 1000 times.  I just couldn't deal with the allied AI.  STOP CHARGING HIM!  YOU HAVE A BOW!  AND YOU OVER THERE STUCK BEHIND A TREE, WALK AROUND!?!?!?!

____