Print Story I failed
Cycling
By hulver (Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:22:17 PM EST) (all tags)
I went on a ride yesterday, I couldn't finish it.

95km into a 110km ride. I was knackered, wasn't going to make it back to the finish in time, and I couldn't face the final big hill before the end. With a 335m climb, after having done over 2000m of climbing already I quit.

I got a taxi back to the finish and told them that I was quitting.

If I'd had an extra 1/2 an hour I might have been tempted to push on, but to get to the end and still to fail, I just couldn't be bothered.

Oh well. Everybody said I was mad for doing it on fixed anyway. Average speed (while I was moving) of 8.7mph. There were some really quite steep hills on it. After 60km I was walking up anything steeper than a slight incline.

The first 7km included bits as steep as 17%, and I got up them ok. It's once I got about half way around I just ran out of energy in my legs.

Must do more training.

< THERE / now I'm not naked anymore | Teabaggers are an odd lot. >
I failed | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's sad by lm (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:26:51 PM EST
I bet you'll be able to finish next time.

And tackling a course like that on a fixie? That takes balls the size of Ireland.

Cicero, The Republic
Heh by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:43:08 PM EST
I must have got my seat position right this time, even if they were the size of Ireland at least I could still feel them :)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Just as long as you don't need a wheelbarrow ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:29:32 PM EST
... to carry them home.

Cicero, The Republic
Incorrect by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 11:16:51 AM EST
Thats what they swelled up to as a result of the ride

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Le Bonk...? by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:29:22 PM EST
well... maybe... sure more training will help, but I reckon on a fixie you'll need to change your refueling...

I don't know why everyone makes a big by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:40:13 PM EST
deal about him doing it on a fixie. It's easier than it would be on a singlespeed freewheel.

Vive le Montréal libre.
You'd be mad to do that as well /nt by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 06:21:31 PM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

well, yeah, I guess by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 06:59:16 PM EST
I'd be making a big deal out of it if he did that as well.

That distance and that much climbing is hard enough with proper gears.

Cicero, The Republic
More unfit than anything else by hulver (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:42:25 PM EST
I was guzzling gels and energy drinks. I didn't have time to stop and get something proper to eat, but even a mars bar and a bag of crisps made me feel bloated like all the blood had gone to my stomach.

I still need to work on the fueling, but lack of fitness (and lugging 19 stone around on a 61" gear) was most of the problem.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Interval training... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 04:30:19 AM EST
Once you've got no gears, hills involve a lot more "peak effort" than you normally put in.

Survival is in part about training to go "All out" and then keep moving afterwards... and recover enough for the next "all out..."

But that's where I think refuelling comes in as well... you need to pulse it, you want to be on a sugar high as you hit the big hill, you want to get up that hill mostly off the stuff you've just ingested...

Also - pacing... if you're worried about finishing in time, it's also worth working out where least effort = best time increase...

Please note.. by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 04:30:56 AM EST
I'm way too much of a coward about my knees to even attempt what you're doing!

Respect.

That's too bad.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:34:05 PM EST
I wouldn't have been able to do it either at this point in the season.

Last week I did 60km on my fixie and spent the next day complaining to anyone who would listen about how much pain I was in. (Of course, that was also my first time on a bike this year, and one of my pedals broke so I couldn't clip in on the way back.)

95km is pretty damn good. Did you have fun?

Vive le Montréal libre.

Sort of fun by hulver (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:40:08 PM EST
It was a fantastic ride with great views and things like that, but I wasn't having fun at the end I just wanted it to be over. The first half was great.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
But.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 05:42:09 PM EST
It being over is the fun part!

Vive le Montréal libre.
You've done well by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 06:22:33 PM EST
To go that far through hilly country without any gears. There's always next time.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Thanks by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 02:02:18 AM EST
I need to get thinner and fitter.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Don't we all mate by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 06:23:38 AM EST
I'm going to try going on my first proper ride of the year after work later in the week - will be more like 10 miles than 100 thuogh.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 06:38:04 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Failure by hulver (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 02:01:35 AM EST
Is defined as not cycling 110km.

Many other people did it, a few even did it on fixed.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Sorry by hulver (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 02:06:42 AM EST
That sounded pretty whiney.

Yes I still did a big ride, but I thought I'd be able to finish this.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

That is a lot of climbing by marvin (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 06:38:08 PM EST
2000m. That is a lot of climbing. When I was in better shape and worked closer to home, riding home from work (just over 300m of climbing in 19km) left me wrecked. Doing 6x that elevation change over 5x the distance would be a lot of hills.

Good work. I'm not crazy enough to ever want to attempt such a feat, but making it that far is enough to impress me.

Well... by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:04:03 PM EST
You did about 60 kilometers more than I could have!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
LIke everyone else said by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 19, 2010 at 08:37:53 PM EST
you totally kicked my ass for doing 95km of that ride. On a bike.

And besides, without a little do not finish in life, what would motivate you to go kick some ass next time?

True by hulver (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 02:03:34 AM EST
I've got another hilly one in a few months, I will finish that one.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
You'll whip it next time. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 06:10:14 AM EST
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Energy levels by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 01:40:38 PM EST
You're already a better rider than I am but... one thing I've noticed is that when I get to that point of collapse, I've also stopped sweating much. It makes me think that I've gotten completely dehydrated - is it possible you need to drink more water/gatorade?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I'm fairly sure by hulver (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 02:02:17 PM EST
It wasn't water related. I was still sweating and I had water left in my bottles. It might have been food related, as I hadn't eaten much other than energy drinks and bars / gels all day. I just can't stomach food when I'm working hard.

My legs were just really tired and needed a rest.

I've heard that the back marker who I spoke to as I was giving up and was just setting off when I gave up, made it back with 5 minutes to spare.

Which makes me happy, as I already know there was no way I could keep up with her.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Not to worry. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 03:03:23 PM EST
You didn't sleep much either (twitter says), so that's going to take a fair bit out of you.

If you don't fail at some of your goals, perhaps you're not setting them high enough. It certainly can't be said that this wasn't a decently high goal to aim for.

True enough by hulver (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 04:19:47 PM EST
Thanks. I need to stop being afraid to fail. It's always fun trying.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
This is the by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 05:40:22 PM EST
TRUEST THING EVAR! I also require this reminder. I am of course, hugely impressed with your bike riding abilities as I know I would not be able to ride for a fraction as long as you do. 95 km... I mean, that's insane. It's crumby you didn't finish, but learning from failures makes them no longer a failure but a learning experience. That's what I tell myself anyway. Hahahaha...
*twinkle*twinkle*

I failed today. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 07:52:21 PM EST
I was part of a timed race on a treadmill, for 15 minutes. My goal was 2 miles, and I only got 1.95 miles.

Further than I can go by As The Palaces Burn (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Apr 20, 2010 at 09:58:22 PM EST
I've gone about 57 miles (91.2 km) .  I'm not on a fixie either.  I'm getting decent weight loss, though.  I find the hard part is putting aside all that time.

Some people say a fixed gear bike is dangerous.  What do you think?  What about a fixie with hand breaks?

Rejoice! The age of the fall has begun! We'll dance as the palaces burn!
Some people say bikes are dangerous. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Apr 21, 2010 at 02:05:36 AM EST
I wouldn't ride a fixed without brakes. There's no way I could slow the bike down when going down hill just using leg braking.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock