Print Story O Joyous Day
Space
By gzt (Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:02:48 PM EST) gzt, calvin and hobbes, philosophy, fringe, squats (all tags)
I am still a little tired from the weekend.

I went to a powerlifting meet. I did 182.5 - 92.5 - 200 for a total of 475kg. The bench was pathetic. I'm reasonably happy with the squat and deadlift, though some rather skinny young bastards pulled a lot more than me. I did a little better than expected, which is still crap. Nevertheless, I got 1st place by default in my weight class and now have an absurdly-muscled trophy. Anyway. I'm participating in a non-sanctioned weightlifting (not powerlifting) competition in a couple months and hope to be squatting 200kg and deadlifting 230kg by then (note: those are not contested lifts). It's non-sanctioned, but it should still give me a decent baseline for comparison.

I helped a friend from high school move on Friday. That was all right. She just got her PhD and got a job at the college I went to. She's working with some famous lab or something.

We watched Fringe the other day. It is still delightfully over-the-top. We have also been catching up on Arrested Development, since Teh Wife has not seen it all.

Today marks an historic event: the release of KFC's Double Down. Unfortunately, there are no KFCs anywhere near any place I will ever be and every single KFC in this city is utterly disgusting.

I had a dream last night that I was interviewing Bill Watterson, author of the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. I had somehow wrangled my way into convincing the reclusive author into granting me an interview, but I wasn't taking many notes and wasn't planning on writing an article. I was just shooting the shit. It was awesome. It rained heavily as I was about to leave, so I stuck around a little longer. We talked philosophy.

< If there was a better way to go it would find me. | Bunny ha ha >
O Joyous Day | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
non-sanctioned by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:09:21 PM EST
meaning you don't have to pee in the bottle first ?

And is your weight class fat bastards or something ? Or was the field that small ?

(bench 92.5 kg ? I could probably get that back in 2 weeks, if my shoulder would still take doing bench..)

yeah, quite pathetic. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:31:00 PM EST
In my defense, it's because I failed higher attempts and my elbows were killing me from the squats. But, yeah, pathetic. A man shouldn't fail 100kg. There is no excuse.

The field was mostly junior lifters and masters lifters and only like 30 people total, most of them under 5'7", none over 5'10" (I'm 6'3"). There was one person in my weight class, but he was in the masters section rather than the open section. I could have cut down to 110kg and lifted there if I really wanted to (I weighed in at 112kg), but I still would've been the only open competitor.

Non-sanctioned meaning a gym is running one to get people introduced to weightlifting competition without the hassle that comes from doing official competition (USAW memberships, singlets, etc). I suppose that includes no peeing in bottles, too.

also, no need for competition plates. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:45:50 PM EST
Competition plates: $1500, at least.
Competition bar: $1000ish.
"Good enough" plates: $600
"Good enough" bar: $600.

If it's not a sanctioned meet, you don't need the precision a real competition requires, so you don't need the good eleiko bar and eleiko plates.

Based on by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Apr 24, 2010 at 08:59:57 AM EST
pictures from the last "meet" they borrowed one from somewhere.  Or maybe not, but they are at last using real collars I think.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Congrats on the win! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:55:10 PM EST
Don't leave your spear at the office, in case you're attacked by a pack of dire wolves on your trip home.

Did you see my lifts? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:56:44 PM EST
I could tear them apart by hand.

is that how the hunter gatherer's did it? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:39:09 PM EST

maybe by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:45:24 PM EST
Why would I care? I don't really care about ancient people. I have a computer and a progressively loaded barbell.

I think by garlic (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:48:29 PM EST
beating the wolves with the barbell may be a better choice then ripping them in half. Probably get less wolf juices on you that way too.

yeah, but you'll get blood on the barbell. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:48:58 PM EST
That's unsanitary.

Not if you also use it to spit the carcas by lm (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 05:30:33 PM EST
And slow roast the wolf afterwards.

Well, that is if you're patient enough to let the wolf roast completely through.

Cicero, The Republic