Print Story If there was a better way to go it would find me.
By technician (Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 02:29:59 PM EST) (all tags)
There there.

My back is back to being backward. My back is awkward. My back has several exploded disks, but we know this. Right now, though, there's a new herniation from one of the old disks and it's doing a number on me, but only to my back and my right hip. It ain't bad enough yet to worry about, according to my spine doc.

My poor spine doc. "It says here on your chart I've seen you before," he says, searching my face for clues as to who I am. His patients are back patients, so they fall into two categories: they're fixed, or they're broken. The fixed ones like my friend Erika (who had two vertebra fused two years ago by this doc) are fixed. They never see him again. Erika has twinges of back pain but this past weekend she competed in a weightlifting competition, deadlifting more weight than you and I combined. She's fixed. Then there's the broken ones, folks who after surgery are injured still, and they see him once a month or twice a month for years and years. Me, I fall somewhere in between: the disk he fixed is OK, and the problems I have with it are related to scar tissue and nerve damage. I have four bad disks, though, and each is a different source of a different pain. A year and a half ago I saw my spine doc with a bad muscle pull and the beginnings of a herniation, and he passed me off to his pain management doc who insisted that the burning cramping stomach pains I got from celebrex were normal. I insisted that the holes in my stomach were abnormal, so I didn't see that guy again.

Between that visit and this, I had a pulled lumbar muscle shove up against some scar tissue. This would have been about eight months ago, and I saw my GP about it. This was right before a thing that I can't talk about happened at work, and I needed to be OK enough to fit in a small space for a very long time (as an aside, I sort of like the fact that I can't explain what that means, because it sounds way better when I make it all mysterious). She gave me ibuprofen (600mg), flexiril for sleep, and a 5mg 5 day supply of Norco. It took me wtwo weeks to recover.

I still had two days left when this last thing happened. I was getting off the couch on Easter Sunday, pondering my run that evening...I run ~3 miles a day, four to five days a week...and my back went pop and I dropped to the ground. Normally when my back goes, it takes a few minutes or hours to build up to OH SHIT, but this one was on me right away, hot iron needle in the nerve, my whole back whacked into an S-curve instantly. Monday I went to work for half a day. Tuesday I dug out my TENS unit and stayed at home. Wednesday I went to work, then to my spine doc.

When my back is really bad, my left hip juts out at an odd angle due to "reactive scoliosis", and my right foot splays out to the outside, and I limp, badly, since each step creates a spasm that may or may not become an earthquake of sympathetic spasms that may or may not make me pee myself as I fall down and pass out. So. There's that.

My new car is better than my old car for getting into and out of, except for the high seat bolsters...getting over them was gigantically painful. I limped to the doc's office, and limped around his waiting room...the waiting rooms of doctors who specialize in the spine have the very worst chairs ever made, and I could never understand that. Eventually they called me back, and the doctor opened with "it says here you've seen me before?"

"Yeah, you opened me up about three and a half or four years ago," I said, sort of chuckling. I'd had an X-ray between the waiting room and his office, and he looked through it and my MRI from 18 months ago. "Things look OK, how did it happen?" I explain the POP and the pain. "Well, that pop worries me. And your reactive scoliosis is really, very bad. Worst I've seen. But the X-ray looks fine, other than a little material around L5-S1..." and he trails off looking at the old MRI and the new X-Ray, overlaying them on an IBM display that was so goddamn pretty that the geek in me went all nuts despite my pain.

"Here's the deal, man," he says. He's always been very colloquial, which I love. "You're going to need to lose 50 pounds. You have four disks that are degenerating, three of which are fragile as hell, and one of which is probably herniated but isn't affecting the nerves in your legs or feet yet. The only way to fix it permanently is to replace all of it with titanium or lose 50 pounds."

There was other diagnostic stuff in there, making sure my nerves weren't impinged, making sure that it was just pain and not damage. Then he opened a web site and outlined how many calories I should be getting per day in order to safely lose 50 pounds in less than a year. He was happy I was jogging, he was happy about the 20 pounds I've lost since the start of the year, and he was happy that my diet is good food and not crap, but he wants me to treat my body like the machine it is.

"I like money," he says. "I could operate on you every year for the next five years, eventually you'd be OK for another ten or so years, but really if you want to change at all, you have to change your entire body."

Yeah, doc, no sweat.

I left there, limped to my car, drove to the pharmacy, paid my $50 for drugs, took a 10mg Norco, and pondered my weight. At 250 pounds, I am very heavy for my height (6 feet with my boots on), but I carry a lot of muscle. To my skeletal system, though, weight is weight. All of it is stress. So, how do I lose 1/5th my mass in less than a year? Diet, 60 minutes of exercise a day (at least 80 percent of it in aerobic stress at the very edge of what I can take), and the motivator that right his second is making my right side creep with tingling vines of white hot motherfucking pain.

You and me, we're going to try this.

< Elevators | O Joyous Day >
If there was a better way to go it would find me. | 75 comments (75 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You can do it. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 03:09:41 PM EST
The key for me losing weight was dieting that included mistakes. Every now and then I have to have something that's not so good for me and my diet. If I can compensate, the diet will work.

60 mins everyday seems a bit much. I found that doing 45 mins every other day showed more improvement then 45 everyday. If you don't see improvement at 60 everyday, consider taking every other day off.

But then my metabolism is really wacky with the Graves disease & meds. Maybe you'll need everyday?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

We'll see. by technician (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 03:23:27 PM EST
My running stamina greatly improved when I went to not taking breaks. Back when I was weightlifting, I found that 24 hours between workouts was enough, as long as there was a 48 hour break between areas I worked out.

This time around, the thing I'm working out is my heart and lungs. I have a pilates studio lined up that specializes in spine injuries, and I have a recovery yoga class spec'd out that a guy here from work swears by. So, running jumping climbing trees x 3 days a week, pilates x 2 days a week, yoga x 1 day a week, then maybe one day of active rest (walking or hiking).

That'll stick for the first four months, but I'll get bored after that...so maybe 3 months of that, then examine what I can do and rotate to something new, like a boxing gym or the like.

So far as diet goes, I eat about 1800 calories a day most days. My metabolism doesn't exist; my ancestors were built for fighting and survival in cold weather, so I store every goddamn thing I eat. Like a chipmunk but without the cute cheeks.

1800 calories - that's not very much? by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 03:49:44 PM EST
I see stuff about increasing your metabolism, have you ever tried that stuff? I've never paid much attention to those ads, because the last thing I want to do is increase my metabolism.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Crock o' crap by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 04:00:17 PM EST
There's one sure fire way to increase metabolism -> exercise.

But rapid weight loss requires a low calorie diet, regardless.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I exercise with the hope that I won't by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:22:56 PM EST
increase my metabolism.

Seems to me that you had finished your weight-loss plan. Am I right?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Never "finished" by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:42:08 PM EST
I went through 262->190 in 2000.  In the intervening 10 years, I've gained 30.
Bullshit. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #26 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:55:35 PM EST
You never heard of meth? That's real weight loss and it stays off.

And you lose teeth, by technician (4.00 / 2) #27 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:01:27 PM EST
so no more pesky dental visits.

Well yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #35 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 08:13:17 PM EST
It is an appetite suppressant.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
don't leave out weight training. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:22:41 PM EST
though you will eventually have to lose some muscular mass, most likely, and prior injuries make a lot of stuff impractical for you to do, muscle mass is a Good Thing and weight loss is primarily a function of diet, not "aerobic exercise" and all that. i know a guy who went from the 242 weight class to the 198 weight class quite rapidly and gained strength in the process. both nutrition and training had to be very dialed in for that, though.

I'm going to start with bodyweight stuff. by technician (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:42:25 PM EST
At some point I'll need free weights again, but I need a strong foundation first.

We can do it. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #3 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 03:28:26 PM EST
I need to lose another 10-20lbs. It's going okay so far -- I've lost about 10lbs since the beginning of the year. I've done via stress, happiness, and smaller portions. If I added in more exercise and stopped drinking so much beer, I'd be there by now. Some things I'm just not willing to give up, though.

Good luck to you. Chronic back pain is a bitch. I'm doing everything I can to avoid pain bad enough that I need a doctor or -- God forbid -- surgery.

Beer! by technician (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:40:31 PM EST
I've been told I need to stop drinking as much as I do...even whiskey causes weight gain. Not because it has any calories, but because you get a little tipsy and you stop caring about eating half a pizza.

I say, I can stop drinking (I mean, I did for January and most of February) but I would rather have a drink after work than kill someone.

The pain is there. Hopefully it won't get crazy. If I work on it hard enough, I'll still have spells but my recovery won't be months, it'll be a week or a few days. And hopefully without the opiates. Goddamn I hate these things.

It's all about the quality of life. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #32 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 07:21:12 PM EST
And the not-killing-people is a definite bonus.

I have my spells that scare the fuck out of me, especially if I've been on my feet, not walking, for more than about 20 or 30 minutes. Much longer than that, and my back has spasmed to the point I can't bend, and doing such things as sitting is excruciating. Still, with yoga, and plenty of walking and building up my core strength, it's gotten better, and I've learned to just cope with it when it happens. I don't know what I'll do if it gets bad to the point of needing medical intervention. Deal with that, I suppose.

We shouldn't have this fucking pain. It's bullshit, and the treatment is damn near as bad as the disease.

whiskey does have calories by gzt (4.00 / 1) #37 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 08:43:16 PM EST
all alcohol does.

Not that many, really by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #40 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 10:17:32 PM EST
It's more dangerous in terms of metabolism and behavior, particularly if you over indulge.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Almost 100kcal/shot by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #44 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:59:45 AM EST
82kcal for a single shot of distilled spirits, of which exactly 0 are "useful". There's a reason it's called a "beer belly".

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

right, and if you're having a double... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #45 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 07:22:17 AM EST
...since nobody really ever has just one shot unless they're appreciating the taste of a very fine whiskey, you have 150-200 extra calories, which is enough to start putting a dent in your dietary plans.

and 1 double by garlic (4.00 / 1) #53 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:19:25 AM EST
leads to another, and than you've had a meals worth of calories in 12 fl oz.

We all will do it together by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #71 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 05:59:28 PM EST
This site seems like it should rebrand itself as some kind of weight loss support community.  At the very least maybe we need a weight loss diary topic?

Advice by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 03:57:36 PM EST
I've done it.  In 2000, I went from 262 to 190.  (I'm back up to 220, but that's life for ya.)

What worked for me was a combination of diet, exercise and routine.  I found that for me at least, routine is what keeps me on track.  Eat the same stuff.  Do the same stuff.  Basically, you make your diet so dull that you don't even think of it.

The other thing that helped both my wife and I was to hike.  Long blocks of moderate cardio beats shorter blocks of intense cardio for weight lost.  It was not uncommon for us to go on 3-4 hour hikes every weekend.  It's also better on the back than jogging.

I also did the daily weighings + rolling average thing that the hacker's diet guy recommends.  It worked really well for me in that it kept me focused on the progress without getting distracted by the various waterweight plateaus.  I was able to say things like "I am losing .4 pounds per day and so in one month I'll be down 11 pounds" and see it actually happen.

When the kid was born, the hiking mostly stopped, and that's what I blame for the weight gain since.

This is, of course, what worked for me.  Everyone's different and has to find what works for them.  It is doable, though.  Remember theantix?  He just lost something like 80 pounds.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Totally different by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #15 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:35:04 PM EST
When I need to do drop 10-kg (like, erm, now) I cook the most amazing stuff I possibly can using the most calorie-poor shit I can find. Cabbage, canned tomatoes, okra, mushrooms, onions, less than 1t oil (Pam!), etc. Ratatouille becomes a standard. Bread is out, low-cal/carb grains like buckwheat and bulgur are in, soup is your friend, as is cabbage. Blah blah blah blah blah.

Making eating tasty and filling (Thai fish sauce is loaded with umami) is what makes cutting calories work for me, and dropping 20kg is a necessary loss of more than 20% of my body weight. Atkins works (and you can make that taste good, too), but it's too harsh on my already-dodgy liver and my-not-completely-abused kidneys.

I'll share some recipes (includes counts of kCal, carb, protein) if you want.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Wish I enjoyed cooking as much as you. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #20 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:42:29 PM EST
Your plan sounds good, except for the cooking part.

But please post some of the recipes. If they're easy enough, I'd like to try them.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

No-fat Rat by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 3) #28 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:03:51 PM EST
Fat Free Ratatouille

1 large eggplant/aubergine (about 1.5 lb.)
 2 medium zucchini/yellow squash (about 1 lb.)
 1 medium green pepper
 1 medium red pepper
 8 oz. (300ml) vegetable juice
 6 oz. tomato paste
 2 14oz (400g) cans tomatoes (break, deseed, remove remaining skin)
 1 14oz (400g) can chopped tomatoes
 chopped or super thin sliced garlic
 1c water
 2T each  fresh chopped oregano, basil, & thyme. Also savory and chervil if you have.

Dice eggplant to about 1" cubes, dump in colander, salt heavily, let sweat for an hour or two, mixing up and adding a bit more salt every 15 min. or so. Rinse thoroughly.

Split and quarter zucchini/squash, dice into ½" pieces. Dice peppers the same.

Add all veg, water, tomato paste and V8 Juice into a pot and mix well.

For extra flavour sensationalism and only 10-20 kcal/serving, start with 1T of rapeseed/canola oil and cook all the herbs in it first before adding all the other ingredients.

Heat the pot on medium/high for a few minutes until just ready to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, stir every 15 minutes but let cook about 1 hour

TOTALS:

grams    kCal    carb    fat    protein
aubergine    750    180    44    -    7.5
courgette    1000    44    -    1.7    6.8
onion        150    66    15    -    .5
pepper        500    131    25    -    5
tomatoes    800    192    24    .8    8.8
chopped toms    400    96    12    .4    4.4
veg juice    200    30    5    0.1    1.6
herbs        ~    -    -    -    -

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Whoops: Don't add zucchini right away by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #30 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:40:30 PM EST
Best way: chop the zucchini/courgette to a max size of ½" cubed and add only about 15 minutes before you turn off the heat so it doesn't get mushy.

You can also fry the peppers in a tiny bit of oil to bring out the flavour but not get mushy, then add them to the pot literally at the last minute. Rat doesn't have to be mush. It goes well with couscous or bulgur as a side (for only a couple hundred additional calories with lots of fiber & protein)

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

copied and printed by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #31 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:54:40 PM EST
I'll pick the veggies up next shopping trip.

Thanks.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Sounds awesome by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #36 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 08:15:19 PM EST
I should bookmark it for next month, when the farmers market starts.
What?! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #38 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 09:20:08 PM EST
You're aware there is a farmer's market like a two minute walk from the BART station you get off of on Wednesdays? Open year round!

Yes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #39 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 10:16:17 PM EST
But a) having it there doesn't make the vegetables in season and b) it's a pain in the ass dealing with produce on BART.

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
err, uh yeah they are "in season" by R343L (2.00 / 0) #41 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 10:22:07 PM EST
Heart of the City Farmers Market stalls are all companies within like 100 miles of SF which would kind of make them obligatory "in season". I think there are a couple farms that get away with the "move operations to Arizona" trick but not many.

Granted, the veggies you want for this recipe might not be in season yet, but that's different. They all will be soon anyway if they aren't yet. :)

Farmers Market by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #42 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 11:08:15 PM EST
There's actually one in downtown Walnut Creek I'd go to instead.
All very well by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #73 Tue Apr 13, 2010 at 05:33:59 AM EST
Is there a suitable vegetable substitute for those of us who loathe zucchini?

Also, cabbage FTW. Once of the big bonii of residing in Germany.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Yellow squash? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #75 Tue Apr 13, 2010 at 08:39:58 AM EST
Similar texture. Or just leave it out. Most people I know who say they don't like zucchini don't like it because it's mushy, so the cooking separate and briefly option I mentioned works well.

You can change this recipe all sorts of ways, like roasting each veg with a tiny brushing of olive oil plus ground salt & pepper, then adding  all together briefly with some sun dried tomatoes. Or leave out the tomato (I do that sometimes, and then make a tomato-paprika concassé to go on the side).

Julia Child was fucking adamant that you had to cook each veg separately, then layer them just so, then bake for a while. And her recipe makes a really tasty dish, but she was wrong. It's fucking peasant food: simple, cheap, easy-to-make, uses up scraps, leaves no waste. But Julia's version is still pretty fucking tasty (and loaded with calories). So is Heston Blumenthal's even more complicated version. Graham Kerr's version is a bit healthier and lot easier to make.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

No Atkins for us by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #21 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:45:49 PM EST
We did the low-fat thing.  I definitely did high-fiber, filling foods.  But for me, keeping it simple works best.  (For instance, having just beans, rice + fresh salsa.)

We are good at cooking healthy.  The danger comes when we get too lazy to cook.

Lazy foods. by technician (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:47:43 PM EST
We have a raft of vegetarian and vegan frozen foods that are quick and healthy for just those times when we don't want to cook.

My diet by technician (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:46:13 PM EST
is pretty much there, myself. And I agree: I need the food to be fantastic and different to keep interest. The wife is a vegan; I have a primarily plant-based diet. Made an excellent cabbage-based stew last week. Ratatouille sounds like a fantastic idea.

We're HuSi: recipes are always welcome!

Vegan, huh? by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #33 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 07:52:43 PM EST
Now you want me to dredge shit up from my yoot.

Medium chop 2 yellow and one red onion. Add to pan on medium heat with 2t butter and 1t oil (rapeseed/canola is best). Stir and fry until translucent. Add herbs (garlic, parsley, etc.). Add a load of "Cajun seasoning", at least 3T, also 1t of powdered Chipotle (or 2 in adobo, choppod) and 1t of gumbo filé if you have it (don't worry if you don't). Turn up the heat and add about half a pound fresh or canned okra (400-550g), then two 14oz/400g cans of tomatoes and one can of chopped tomatoes (or 2# of peeled, seeded, chopped ripe & fresh). Let simmer 15-30 minutes, season to taste.

Ingredient list:

Butter
Oil (rapeseed/Canola is best)
2 medium yellow onions
1 large red onion
2 tins / 1.5# fresh (cleaned) okra
2 14oz/400g cans of tomatoes
1 14oz/400g can chopped tomatoes
Cajun seasoning
chipotle peppers (ground dried or chopped in adobo)
garlic
parsley
gumbo filé

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Looking for vegan butter now . . . by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #43 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:15:47 AM EST
BUFFERING . . . BUFFERING . . .

In the vegan world, it's shorthand for 'full fat' by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #50 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:00:04 AM EST
You can cook with something like Willow Run because it's almost 100% oil; all the spreads as well as a lot of the butterstick-like margarines are emulsions full of water, lecithin and other binders which you can't cook with.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

What do you think of coconut oil? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #54 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:25:01 AM EST
For cooking and such?

Not much by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #60 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:12:49 PM EST
Although it has a decent smoke point, so does cheap-ass cottonseed oil, and without something like >90% saturated fat. You might as well use shortening. Hell, lard is less than half saturated fat.

I don't care much for tropical oils (coconut, palm) because of both the saturation and their "heaviness". They separate out, float, stick, and often have a really nasty mouthfeel. And lard doesn't.

If you're interested, I have a permanent stock of the following fats, most in arm's reach of the stove: high-acid olive (cooking), low-acid EVO (dressing/finishing), rapeseed/Canola , peanut (for Chinese cooking), lard, fatback, goose fat, duck fat (self-rendered), beef fat & suet, and bacon + lardons (chopped smoked bacon). And lots and lots of butter.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Tofu, huh? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #34 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 08:08:58 PM EST
You need a griddle. Medium heat, just enough to get sprinkles of water to ball up.

Dry mix: equal parts ground black pepper, chili pepper, coarse salt and a half measure of 5-spice powser.

First, make a marinade of 4T rice wine/aji mirin, 2T soy sauce, 4 swlices of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic (smashed), a scallion thinly sliced and a few shakes of 5-spice powder. Also, about a T of black beans if you have them (smashed).

Slice the tofu to about ¼" and put in the marinade for at least two hours.

Shpritz of oil if necessary on the griddle, drained tofu slices down, sprinkle a small amount of the dry mix on them, turn after about 2 minutes (tofu is just starting to get a brown coating). Sprinkle a little more dry mix, pull and put in a bowl with some marinade and a few drops of sesame oil.

Best served with dried nori strips and rice.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Long walks vs. more intense aerobics by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #72 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 06:11:35 PM EST
Long walks/hikes are probably better for weight loss in your case simply because the total calorie burn is higher, especially if you're doing 3-4 hours.  And it is easier on joints, so you're less likely to have to stop doing it for a week because of an overuse injury.  However, there is research that shows that only really intense (80%+ of your max heart rate) cardio is effective for some people.  Everybody's experience is different.  Consistent, daily, five mile walks were very effective for me losing weight back in 2007, but I did plateau eventually (far short of my goals), and then it became just grinding.  These days I try to mix it up.

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 04:48:57 PM EST
I started out at 307, and I'm 6 1.  I'm at 262 this morning, so I guess I need to lose about 62 pounds.  All the charts I see say I should be in the 190s, but to me that seems too thin.  I'd be happy at 210.

What depressed me once I decided to lose 100 pounds was when my back went out and I was unable to exercise.  Even now I refuse to do any sort of weight training because I don't want to risk the back going out.

Also what helped me get over the occasional gains was this site http://physicsdiet.com/  As long as the chart stays in the green, I'm happy.

I'm not much of an encourager, but you can do this.

Click

You are the American me by hulver (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:12:40 PM EST
Apart from I'm slightly heavier, my back's not so bad, I can't play the guitar or sing for shit, and I don't write like my brain's on fire.

So, we're the almost same height and almost the same weight.

Keep a food diary, log everything. I've let that slip lately and my weight has stopped going down.

I can't run though, kills my legs something awful. So I ride my bike. I haul it up hills that shouldn't be too hard, although they are. I fight it and I curse it all the way up, but I love it at the same time. I love the buzz I get afterwards. I hate the pain and I never want to do it again, but 5 minutes after stopping I wish I was back out there again.

Intervals will lose weight from you faster than steady exercise. Work as hard as you can, then a bit harder. Then have a break to catch your breath and do it all again. Do that for an hour a day and you will lose weight like somebody is slicing it off you in the night.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

When I started running, by technician (4.00 / 1) #13 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:28:49 PM EST
I was using an iPod app that put me through a "couch to 30 minutes" interval routine. Started with short runs, then walk, then run...when I started, I could not run more than a block. I struggled with five or ten minute stretches of running. Now I run for 40 minutes. My legs don't bother me much anymore. My lungs have caught up. My feet don't hurt.

I did switch to Nike Free 5 shoes...barely-there highly flexible shoes that hardly add padding. I removed the insoles from them on the start of week four. If I could fit my badly curled toes into Vibram Five Fingers, I would. The minimal shows made all the difference with my legs, feet, and back. I no longer had runner's knee, no longer had achy legs. It was amazing.

I need to go back to intervals, and I need to get back on my bike. Just had it tuned up...I'd forgotten how much fun it was. I do need a new seat, though...hate the numbness.

you can do it by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:17:49 PM EST
by the way, that's a powerlifting competition, not a weightlifting competition. and though you're muscular, you're not that muscular: you could probably easily be 220 with that much muscle and still have a little jiggle unless you've used performance enhancing drugs.

anyway. best of luck. be careful about ramping up intensity and volume at the same time as decreasing caloric intake.

^ This by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #25 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:53:27 PM EST
I left the Army at 6' and around 220# and I was tubby by Army standards.

Hear now by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:25:20 PM EST
When you say "you and me" is that like the royal we?  Or are you actually saying I should be losing one-fifth my body weight over the next year too?

---------------
I'm saying by technician (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:30:30 PM EST
together, you and I (you being all of you and I being me) can do this (where "this" is me losing weight).

All kidding aside by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:39:14 PM EST
Actually I have decided indepedently that it's time to lose weight (again).  This would be the third trip down this particular path for me.  One-fifth actually sounds about right for what I need to lose too.  So I'm in.

---------------
Weight by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 05:47:30 PM EST
Most of us could probably stand to lose some eight.  I know I could.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I can't lose another eight. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 3) #29 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:23:36 PM EST
Fives are shitballs and everyone knows you can never trust a three, but an eight? Man, losing an eight, that'd be like losing your father's pocketwatch that Christopher Walken hid up in his ass despite the dysentery during his time as a Viet Nam POW because it's your birthright, man.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Start smoking by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #46 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 08:35:43 AM EST
Really boosts the metabolism.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You fucker by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #68 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 03:55:55 PM EST
Almost 1½ years clean and now I'm jonesing.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

3 years for me. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #74 Tue Apr 13, 2010 at 08:09:08 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #47 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 08:58:54 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Tai Chi? by gzt (4.00 / 1) #48 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 09:32:21 AM EST
It's not just for old farts. Of course, he probably doesn't want to get into combative tai chi (Josh Waitzkin, the kid from Searching for Bobby Fischer, got into that and won the world championship, by the way).

What's this about rubbing one's genitals on leather for hours? Suddenly I think I may have a new solution for everything.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #49 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 09:44:40 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

"push hands" by gzt (4.00 / 1) #51 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:02:57 AM EST
...is what wikipedia calls it. It's not an MMA thing, it seemed very traditional from the book he wrote about his experiences with it.

IIRC, technician does have some aikido experience.

anyway, I don't really think weight training is the solution to everything, but it is important and most people don't include it or include it very well, which is why it pops up in my recommendations 99% of the time.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #55 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:31:11 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I have a gold medal for pushing hands by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #56 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 11:06:28 AM EST
just sayin'

HUSBAND-LIKE TYPING DETECTED by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #61 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:49:36 PM EST

He steals my IP by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #62 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 01:03:08 PM EST
and passes it off as his own.

Push hands by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #58 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:03:54 PM EST
When I took Tai Chi, I used to like to watch the master practice with the top student.  It was a bit surreal as the master was a willowy granola woman and the top student was a grizzled ex-marine.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #59 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:09:22 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Tai Chi by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #57 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 12:01:13 PM EST
...won't help you lose anything.

Good for the sole, though.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #63 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 01:20:25 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

How many? by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #66 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:32:06 PM EST
> 0 certainly.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #67 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 03:48:15 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

None by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #69 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 04:24:37 PM EST
But I've only ever met two people who did do the martial style.  I was told that it was something you didn't even think about until you'd been at it for years.
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #70 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 04:31:08 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I took up Tae Kwan Do this year by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #64 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:20:04 PM EST
I love it! Also good for stress relief, because we do a lot of boxing. I'm surprised at how much I like to hit things.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #65 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 02:21:47 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I had back spasms by garlic (4.00 / 1) #52 Mon Apr 12, 2010 at 10:16:04 AM EST
a few months ago, and you're description is vivid enough to make me wince in memories of it.

Somehow the way I'm sleeping is giving me problems now, but it's a constant ache that goes away when I sit up for an hour. It's bad getting only 4 hours of sleep until the pain wakes me, but it's still better than those back spasms were, where the pain made me tense up, which made the pain worse, which made me tense up even more.