Print Story This world keeps spinning faster into a new disaster
By FlightTest (Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 10:24:32 PM EST) (all tags)
So I run to you

Apache

Final bill: $8 large.  Most of that was the prop work, the "spare" prop was due for overhaul in addition to the AD compliance, so that was a pretty penny.  The overhaul period is non-mandatory for part 91, but the prop shop was reluctant to stick a yellow tag on it without doing the overhaul.  Apparently there was some corrosion in the hub, so not such a bad thing I guess.  The good news is they didn't charge for the teardown and evaluation of the prop off the airplane, only for the overhaul of our "spare" prop.  What was the spare is now overhauled and installed on the Apache, and I have the prop that had been on that engine in pieces. Good blades and good hub, just missing blade clamps that comply with the A.D.

Mechanic and I worked on the Apache all afternoon Saturday (3 April).  Mechanic only had time for one trip around the pattern to check it out, plus it was getting dark.  I appreciate that he doesn't leave test flying to me alone.  Today (9 April) I did multiple landings to (a) shake loose the cobwebs and (b) make sure the air conditioning was going to continue to work.  Those two big fans out there are air conditioners, you know.  Just see how you sweat if one of them stops turning!

Small World

So I'm removing some part from the Apache last Saturday and I hear my mechanic exclaim "It can't be!"  I ask what's up and it turns out the spare prop we bought came off of the very Apache he got married in many years ago.  Wow.  For those of you bored enough to pay attention, no the woman he was married to is not the woman who is the mother of his new daughter (as of 3 weeks ago).  The marriage in the Apache was a long time ago and didn't last long.  As far as I know, he isn't planning on marrying the mother of his daughter.  She teaches English in Russia and her parents are his age.  Supposedly her parents are happy about the whole thing, she is their only child and they wanted a grandchild.

Politics

I think Henry Jordan pretty much sums up why I've given up on politics completely.  When we're sending people like this to congress, what's the point, really?  If you don't know what I'm on about, this guy fears "...that [Guam] will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."  Viewed in the overall context of his remarks, I don't buy his explanations at all.  He wasn't joking and he wasn't making any analogies.  He moved his hands making a tipping motion, and with his questions before about the size of the island, I really think the clown thought the island could literally tip.  Yeah, I know, that's so last week.

Laugh

Who thought this sign was a good idea?

Vacation

Mrs. FT and I are headed to a B&B in [redacted] for a couple days.  She wants to be surprised as to where it's at, so that's why the secrecy.

New Computer

I decided not to get a shiny toy.  Too much else going on right now.  Taxes.  Airplane maintenance. Gas in airplane now that it's flying again.  Vacation.  Shiny toys can wait.

< The punk spirit lives on... | Invisible Armada >
This world keeps spinning faster into a new disaster | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What does the Apache take, 100 octane? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 10:41:19 PM EST
That's got to be pricey.

It must have felt good to get in the air again.

100LL (Low Lead) by necessity by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 11:39:54 PM EST
Some wags say the two L's represent "double lead" though.  Minimum grade is 80/87, though that's not easily available anymore.  I think for all practical purposes, 100LL is about the only commonly available avgas.  I just paid $5.13/gal at the freaking self-serve pump today, it's $0.60/gal more expensive to have the truck come to you.   Regular auto gas goes for around $3/gal around here these days.  Now I have two engines burning around 9 gal/hr each.  So it costs $100/hr just to keep fuel in it.  Too bad I don't use Jet A, it's barely above premium gas these days.

It felt really, really, good to get it in the air again.  The engines sang nicely and the landings were passable.  I can't wait to actually go somewhere in it.  My FIL hasn't even seen it yet, and we've had it 3 years!

round here by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 11:16:24 AM EST
The price I saw at the pump was 5.46/gallon

Click
I did a bit of a search last night by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 02:59:11 PM EST
I found $3.99/gal at Inyokern, though that's about an hour away .... it is pretty much on the way to and from my FIL though .   Basically it seems inverse to what you'd expect, the busier the airport, the higher the pump price.   And add another $0.50/gal if you get it from "Signature" - those guys are the masters at gouging.

Of course by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 10:55:56 PM EST
You have to hope the pumps are working at IYK, I've had problems there on more than one occasion.

When were you aviating in CA? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 12:00:30 AM EST
I know you've had the misfortune to spend some time at China Lake, or was this the commuter guys having trouble getting gas?

Besides, it's not much more expensive at Cal City, and that's not far.

Few times by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 12:18:46 AM EST
Friend has a C-175 at IYK, always try to take advantage of trips out there to punch some holes in the sky.  We've usually ended up flying down to Cal City for gas.

Small World, Pt. II by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 11:28:30 PM EST
So 6 months ago, I tried to buy into a share of an RV-6, but couldn't make the insurance minimums.  The  owner was selling so he could buy a bigger plane.

This month, I get a note from him saying he ended up buying a plane for a very small flying club and they're looking for members, would I be interested in joining (16 members, a nicely equipped 172 and an Archer).  I politely told him I'd actually just bought a share of a Cardinal with a great group of owners and that I'm building time with the DPE co-owner.

Reply back is "Oh, that sounds like Bob's Cardinal, if it is, say hi for me, we used to own a glider together 30 years ago."  Yup, it's Bob's alright.

Aviation is an incredibly small community by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 09, 2010 at 11:53:31 PM EST
Lets see if I can tell this so it makes sense.  Mrs FT briefly dated a guy we'll call G, who's father we'll call Y.  My mechanic's father was Y's pilot.

Proof that Mrs. FT is not a gold digger, you would recognize the names of some of G's relatives, and Y was extremely rich.

Proof Mrs. FT isn't a golddigger by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #5 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 10:02:31 AM EST
She married you ;)

AMEN by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 03:00:12 PM EST
Another bout of stupidity on her part, that.

B&B - nice. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 01:15:01 PM EST
Have a good time. You 2 deserve it.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly