Print Story She says somewhere deep in the middle of the night
By FlightTest (Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 07:26:48 PM EST) (all tags)
Baby, I think about you

Updates on the week

TFT

That didn’t take long, her bio-family has already taken her to sign up for SSI.  For you foreigners (people not from the U.S., not members of the long-past-their-prime band), SSI is basically a federal disability program.  Glad to see they’re teaching her the white trash tradition of sucking off the teat of those who actually work for a living.  Next I’m sure is popping out babies to keep those checks rolling in.  TFT sent Mrs. FT a message that her bio-family had “apologized for everything” and that she has forgiven them.  So that chapter in our lives appears to be shut for good.

Work

The blind spots some people get are interesting.  One customer, which seems to have a lot of hyper-intelligent people working there, wants a margin of safety of at least 0.5 (i.e. 50%) with a safety factor of 2.0.  Why they don’t just specify a safety factor of 3.0, I don’t understand.  I can only guess that it’s a perception problem, they don’t like seeing “low” margins of safety, regardless of the safety factor involved.  We typically use safety factors of 1.6 or 2.0, and any margin of safety zero or higher is good to go.  In our market, weight is a very important driver, so a margin of zero (with appropriate safety factor) would be a perfectly designed component, it is as strong as it needs to be, and no heavier.

Drill Press

My drill press has been out of commission for quite a while.  When I turned it on, it just hummed loudly.  I finally got around to fixing it, I suspected the starting capacitor, but hadn’t had time to tear it apart and check it.  So I got to the capacitor and removed it.  I tested it according to the instructions on this page but it tested good according to that test.  After much head-scratching I took the capacitor to work and asked our electrical guy to test it with a real capacitor tester, and his tester said it was open.  So off to the local real electronics store, and $12 and a bit of soldering later I have a working drill press again.

I’m a bit mystified as to why the capacitor would pass the test in the article but not actually work.  It seemed to be “charging” with the ohmmeter as described, and I could even measure residual voltage in it after I “charged” it.  I confess to only a passing understanding of how capacitors work though.

Ex-Wife

We drove out to visit my ex-wife last Saturday (27 February).  We had an enjoyable lunch with her.  Her dad possibly had a stroke, which has apparently made him quick to anger over little things.  I find that sad, he used to be such an easygoing guy.  Of course his functional alcoholic wife doesn’t help matter much.

Apache

We had a spare propeller, so we sent that out along with the prop off the right engine for the infamous Hartzell blade clamp AD.  As we suspected, it took both of them to make one good prop.  At some point we’ll have to pull the left prop and send it in, that one will be expensive if the clamps don’t pass, which I don’t expect them to.  Hartzell offers two new props free of the AD inspections for $20K, which needless to say I don’t have, and I doubt I’d spend it on new props for a 50+ year old airplane even if I did.  I’ve purposely avoided even asking the shop what all this is going to cost.  I just don’t want to know.

Wii

Wii night tonight with our trainer and one of his girlfriends.  I’ll get skunked in everything as usual, I’m sure.  Mrs. FT beats me handily in virtually all Wii games.  That’s cool though, it will be nice to have some company for a little pizza and beer.

Life is Short, Fly FAST!
< Notes and pictures on today's demo | Home Stretch >
She says somewhere deep in the middle of the night | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm sorry about TFT. by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 07:50:08 PM EST
I hope she'll see the error of her ways.

I'm glad to hear the ex-visit went well.

Hurray for Wii night!

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Probably not by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 02:05:03 AM EST
She seems to believe that she should stick by her bio-family no matter what.   I think she'll make excuses for them, or buy their lame excuses.   But thanks.

Yeah, the ex is one of the people we're going to try to do more with.  She's a horse trainer so maybe a couple trail rides this summer.  She had started to learn to fly when we were together, so we'll take her flying in the Apache as well.

Wii night was fun.  Time to turn in though, trainer's coming back tomorrow morning to thrash us.

I get the feeling by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 08:50:29 PM EST
we'll have a Wii this time next year.  Wii seems to have more family and Dude friendly games than other consoles.

I'm so sorry about TFT.  That just sucks.

From the sound of it by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 01:56:17 AM EST
the hard part for you is going to be convincing the Dude to wear the wrist strap so he doesn't throw the remote across the room.  I don't have any experience with any other consoles, but we bought the Wii because we heard it was the most family-friendly.

The TFT situation sucks, but it does get a little better with each passing day.  Making an effort to do things in real life with other people is helping quite a bit.

Gotta love AD's by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 08:55:24 PM EST
Anything left from the spare prop that could be used for the left prop?

The joy of twins; twice the maintenance, twice the fuel burn, twice the insurance and twice the ADs.  Not that I won't want one when I have twice the income.  :P

The spare was the good one by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 01:51:53 AM EST
It's the blade clamps on the one we took off that are no good.  I don't have the full report from the prop shop, but I suspect only the clamps were no good.  Almost always the hub is good, and the blades looked good.  Those parts aren't much good without blade clamps though.

And it's more like 4x the maintenance - the systems are just a bit more complicated.  Insurance on the Apache isn't twice what I was paying for the Mooney, in fact it's not that much more.  But the Apache is a very forgiving twin.  Insurance in a 310 right now would be at least 2x what I'm paying for the Apache, certainly a lot more for a newer 310.

I don't have a problem admitting I couldn't afford even a single engine airplane without my mechanic.  He saves me thousands upon thousands in labor.

The trainer by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 09:21:24 PM EST
and ONE of his girlfriends?!?
Yeah, one of them by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 01:46:59 AM EST
He says he's very upfront and clear from the start that it isn't exclusive.  I don't doubt it.  He's got a 15 year old boy he hardly seems because his ex-wife does crap things like pull the boy off his baseball team when our trainer started showing up to the games to watch his son.

Actually, the woman he brought tonight is more of a friend who happens to be female than a girlfriend.  When they were dating, she started pressuring him for a "commitment" which pretty much ended the dating. Then she decided she liked having him as a friend, and he's cool with that, so they hang out do things together, but not dating.  I don't think this is a friends with benefits arrangement either.

He's a dog, he's a player. But I do believe him that he's clear from the start that he does not date exclusively and he's not about to settle down.

Don't fall over or anything by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 11:38:46 AM EST
but I am turning into that. I've met and laddered more guys since January than I have in the previous 6 years.
Turning into which? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 02:54:51 PM EST
A player or a "just friends" person?  I'm going to guess by the laddering comment you mean just friends.

These two happen to be very good for each other.  If he was at point where he was thinking about settling down, I think she'd be very right for him, and he for her.  As it is I don't think he'll ever get to that point.  I don't think she has a lot of friends like him that she can just hang out with.  I know he doesn't.

Well, turning guys into by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Mar 06, 2010 at 07:08:50 PM EST
"just friends" and not settling for what is out there.

I haven't gone out enough recently to be a player.