That didn’t take long, her bio-family has already taken her to sign up for SSI. For you foreigners (people not from the U.S., not members of the long-past-their-prime band), SSI is basically a federal disability program. Glad to see they’re teaching her the white trash tradition of sucking off the teat of those who actually work for a living. Next I’m sure is popping out babies to keep those checks rolling in. TFT sent Mrs. FT a message that her bio-family had “apologized for everything” and that she has forgiven them. So that chapter in our lives appears to be shut for good.
The blind spots some people get are interesting. One customer, which seems to have a lot of hyper-intelligent people working there, wants a margin of safety of at least 0.5 (i.e. 50%) with a safety factor of 2.0. Why they don’t just specify a safety factor of 3.0, I don’t understand. I can only guess that it’s a perception problem, they don’t like seeing “low” margins of safety, regardless of the safety factor involved. We typically use safety factors of 1.6 or 2.0, and any margin of safety zero or higher is good to go. In our market, weight is a very important driver, so a margin of zero (with appropriate safety factor) would be a perfectly designed component, it is as strong as it needs to be, and no heavier.
My drill press has been out of commission for quite a while. When I turned it on, it just hummed loudly. I finally got around to fixing it, I suspected the starting capacitor, but hadn’t had time to tear it apart and check it. So I got to the capacitor and removed it. I tested it according to the instructions on this page but it tested good according to that test. After much head-scratching I took the capacitor to work and asked our electrical guy to test it with a real capacitor tester, and his tester said it was open. So off to the local real electronics store, and $12 and a bit of soldering later I have a working drill press again.
I’m a bit mystified as to why the capacitor would pass the test in the article but not actually work. It seemed to be “charging” with the ohmmeter as described, and I could even measure residual voltage in it after I “charged” it. I confess to only a passing understanding of how capacitors work though.
We drove out to visit my ex-wife last Saturday (27 February). We had an enjoyable lunch with her. Her dad possibly had a stroke, which has apparently made him quick to anger over little things. I find that sad, he used to be such an easygoing guy. Of course his functional alcoholic wife doesn’t help matter much.
We had a spare propeller, so we sent that out along with the prop off the right engine for the infamous Hartzell blade clamp AD. As we suspected, it took both of them to make one good prop. At some point we’ll have to pull the left prop and send it in, that one will be expensive if the clamps don’t pass, which I don’t expect them to. Hartzell offers two new props free of the AD inspections for $20K, which needless to say I don’t have, and I doubt I’d spend it on new props for a 50+ year old airplane even if I did. I’ve purposely avoided even asking the shop what all this is going to cost. I just don’t want to know.
Wii night tonight with our trainer and one of his girlfriends. I’ll get skunked in everything as usual, I’m sure. Mrs. FT beats me handily in virtually all Wii games. That’s cool though, it will be nice to have some company for a little pizza and beer.
|< Notes and pictures on today's demo | Home Stretch >|