Print Story Georgeha had ninety nine bottles of beer
Books
By georgeha (Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 09:17:27 AM EST) Giaman, beer, meme, troll (all tags)
on the wall.

He took one down, passed it around, and had ninety eight bottles of beer on the wall.

What VAT and alcohol license fees does Georgeha owe?

Plus, Strategy for Defeat, Gaiman week (Anansi Boys and Good Omens), Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars, flat cap, Brew Hauler review, wiped out, yes they're real and they're spectacular, and less.

Poll closed until I can afford poll tax

I survived the massive snow we got, a foot and a few inches, though the shoveling on Saturday wiped me out, I'm getting too old for heart attack snow. As a result, I didn't do a heck of a lot last weekend. Well, there was sleding, and hat making, and the usual errands, and some reading, but not much beyond that.

Like I said, I made a flat cap Sunday, it was very easy, and looked pretty good, good enough that my wife was suggesting she get some cool feminine tweed and have me make her one, okay. Still, thirteen year old did not want me wearing it to her swim class.

Being exhausted, I got caught up on my reading. First up was Sharp's Strategy for Defeat who argued that the US should have bombed North Vietnam back to the stone age to win the Vietnam War. Military I'm convinced we could have bombed them back to the Stone Age, but aside from the risk of Russia and China escalating, you need a strong effective South Vietnamese government, or you're just postponing the inevitable. Off to the donate pile.

Speaking of donate pile, I filled two kitchen garbage bags with unstylish clothing from my closest, and threw out an armful or torn and raggedy looking clothing, I now have space in my closet, hooray.

I was on a Gaiman kick, so I got two out of the local library. First was  Anansi Boys, which shares the world of American Gods (Mr. Nancy is in both). In it, a passive antihero Fat Charlie aka Charles Nancy discovers he's the son of the spider god, Anansi, and has a magical half brother. Fat Charlie didn't engage me nearly as much as Shadow, though I eventually warmed up to him and his brother, Spider. I should reread American Gods.

Next up with the Gaiman and Pratchett collobaration, Good Omens, more or less a parody of The Omen, where an angel (Aziraphale) and demon (Crowley) decide to avert Armegeddon, since they've grown to like each other over a few millenium. The trobule is, no one knows where the anti-Christ is, a slight mixup at birth.. I liked Discworld better, I suppose to properly appreciate Gaiman I should check out his comic books.

Finally, Napoleonic history is not my strong point, for too long for me European history was centered around us Yanks saving those Europeans from Hunnish aggression, so at the local library I picked up Marrin's
Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars. It was a young adult read, but didn't pull too many punches and was a good introduction to Napoleon. Gosh he was a cruel jerk.

I had racked off my Czech Pilsner, so I could keg it and have a fresh keg ready for our trip. To help move the carboys, I used the nylon strapped Brew Hauler for the first time, it does make it much easier to move full five gallon carboys. The taste is a little less aggressive than the honey lager, but still hoppy, and I stayed up finishing Napoleon while drinking the dregs.

The latest corporate silliness is having to prove my wife and kids are legal dependents, I guess it's an anti-fraud thing, but I had to prove to HR that my wife and kids existed, and were legal dependents. so I faxed them copies of our marriage license, first page of our 1040, and children's birth certificates. After looking at them, they all seemed pretty easy to forge, even without relying on some exotic foreign location like Hawaii. They're real, and they're spectacular.

What's up for the weekend? A friend's band is playing tonight a few blocks from my house, I might attend. There's art class and possibly gaming on Saturday, Ren Faire sewing, swim class on Sunday, a trip to the used book store, lots on my plate.

< Breaker and the Seventy One Horses | Back to Canary Wharf >
Georgeha had ninety nine bottles of beer | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
bomb to the stone age by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 09:31:09 AM EST
didn't the US do that to pretty much every industrial city during WWII ?

Yes, pretty much by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 09:40:31 AM EST
but beyond that, I can't think of any parallels between WWII and Vietnam.

Sure, you bomb the heck out of Hanoi and Haiphong. You still have a crappy government in South Vietnam, China adjacent to North Vietnam, and Laos and Cambodia adjacent to South Vietnam. You can cut down the supplies, but you're still stuck with an active insurgency, and an unpopular South Vietnamese government.

Unless you were going to bomb China and the USSR by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 12:01:54 PM EST
Border areas then it was pretty pointless. AK47s and mortars can be carried by mule or porters.

Anyway the irony is that you have capitalist, pro-Western (or anti-Chinese), fairly effective govt there now anyway.

I bought some nice dress shirts last month by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 03:53:58 PM EST
Earlier this week, I noticed that one was made in Vietnam and thought briefly about how much the world has changed since I was a kid and my elementary school was raising money to put up a local refugee family that had just gotten off of the boat from Vietnam.

Cicero, The Republic
Good Omens by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 09:57:17 AM EST
..is an excellent book, with some great concepts, some perhaps showing their age. There's a lot of UK centric jokes though.

I think the best running joke is about Crowley changing the shape of the M25 through various means, as well as the fact that all cassette tapes turn into Queen sooner or later...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
We have cassette tapes and Queen in the US by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 10:01:26 AM EST
My car still has a cassette player.

I don't by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 11:32:28 AM EST
About 4 years ago I tossed all my tapes because I had no tape players. Anywhere.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I still have two paper boxes of tapes by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 11:39:07 AM EST
some are bootlegs that might be rare, but I never listen to them anyway.

I did admire by barooo (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 12:12:49 PM EST
the M25 bit, especially as I actually drove on that road about a month after I read that book.

or is that not the correct idiom?  Motored on that carriageway?

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Drove on the M25? by Slightly Foxed (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 12:53:02 PM EST
Parked on that car park

I think it was on a Sunday by barooo (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 01:24:32 PM EST
I didn't think it was all that bad, except that was only a couple km from where I picked up the rental car, and I was still struggling with that whole drive on the wrong side of the road thing and trying to figure out how to navigate a backwards cloverleaf roundabout thingy.

Looking back, I can't believe I didn't kill anyone.  But it was the high point of the trip, driving to Tintagel and back.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt