Print Story I love riding this time of year.
Cycling
By ObviousTroll (Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 09:49:10 AM EST) (all tags)
Just rode 12.30 miles. I love riding this time of year. People say it's too cold, it's too wet - but when else is a grown man allowed to play in the mud on the way to work?

When is your favorite time to go riding?
< A Day in the Life | It's birthday time. >
I love riding this time of year. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm bummed... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 09:51:04 AM EST
because I haven't been on the bike in a couple of weeks. First, vacation to CO, then we've been in flood season here. I don't mind riding in rain/snow/sleet/mud/whatever, but when the roads are actually flooding and I can't see the great sucking potholes of doom, I just don't feel safe on the bike. It sucks.
Yeah - going head over handlebars by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 12:45:05 PM EST
and breaking spokes is never a good idea.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Didn't you just get a foto of rain in PA? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 09:58:39 AM EST
Or do you have an amphibious bike?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

foot of rain. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 11:47:53 AM EST
Though you probably got photos, too.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Glad you clarified. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 12:38:06 PM EST
But, yes - we did. Rained for two days. Which is pretty much why I was covered with mud this morning when I got to work.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
WIPO - chasing moose in the fall by marvin (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 12:18:03 PM EST
Given the size of a cow moose and potential for maternal protectiveness, following her and her calf down a trail and spooking them probably wasn't one of the smartest things I've ever done.

I had a rifle with me, but no license to shoot anything other than deer at the time (very few moose cow/calf licenses are given out, not something I want anyways). Luckily, they just kept running.

Upvoted. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 12:39:57 PM EST
Just for the image of someone riding a bike with a rifle over one shoulder.

Some of the trails I ride through are posted with signs that say "if you're not a deer, you should probably wear some orange."  There was also a time when some duck hunters and I surprised the crap out of each other. Not having a shotgun or dogs of my own, I agreed to beat a hasty retreat. ;-)

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
One day by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 01:06:43 PM EST
I'd like to ride from my house to the trail on a hunting trip with a rifle on my back. Pretty sure it would be legal to do so, but too many people here in Canuckistan would freak out and call the cops. Not worth it.

I bought a sling designed to hold the rifle on my back when riding around 8-10 years ago. I haven't hunted in 5 years now though, and have yet to shoot anything. I married into a family of hunters, so my kids will probably do more hunting with their grandfather than I ever will.

Ever seen WW I Bicycle Infantry pics? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 31, 2010 at 06:09:51 PM EST
Pretty awesome.

Any time by hulver (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 01, 2010 at 06:34:45 AM EST
The only time I'm not that keen is if it's windy.

I actually really enjoy riding in the rain.

Night riding is also good fun, if you've got good lights. There is usually very little traffic, so it's good for getting some time to think about stuff.

I don't have an off road bike, so I stay on the roads.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock