Print Story Life's little surprises are not always pleasant
By purr (Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 12:01:52 AM EST) no tags to this one (all tags)
Employment
Book obsession

So I use to be a stay at home mom who does a few volunteer jobs at school and in my community. Not any more. My husband got laid off November 2008.  Now I am part owner of a small franchise business and still an avid volunteer in my community. Not my preferred choice. Husband refused to seriously look for a job in his previous profession.  He said he looked and there were no jobs to be had. Yet he still gets calls from head hunters. Well now we are the owners of a business that is completely different from his corporate job, meaning there is menial labor involved.  He comes home complaining about being wiped out from his work day. I am like "That's nice". He is so out of his mind if he thinks I am going to attend his pity party. ha ha ha

So now I work part time at my own menial labor intensive retail job with its funky hours. I do the administrative work for our business, including all contact with our clients. Not to mention I was unable to drop all my volunteer stuff because I would be letting down too many kids if I quit.  So my work load tripled, but hey, I rarely go to bed not feeling
exhausted and stressed.

Ok. Bitch session is over. It is time to discuss my Book Obsession. Maybe that is should be reading addict. Not sure what you want to classify it. Let me start from the beginning. I joined a MJD yahoo book group. Great group btw. So they have a reading contest and/or book list.  Everyone's goal is to read 50 books in a year. Now let me put things into prospective for you, it is March and I just admitted to my work load tripling and book list for 2010 is at 37 books. Yes, it doesn't seem possible to read that many fiction novels with my limited free time and that is true. But I read every second I have. Bathroom, cooking, cleaning, waiting in carpool line and every spare minute in between is when I read. And my new reading obsession is the fantasy fiction, Anita Blake series. Of course being limited to the library I am reading them all out of order. I am impatiently waiting on the Jim Butcher, Changes, another Dresden Files book to come out in April. I read the Twilight Saga end of last year. It was only ok. It had the crappiest ending to the saga.

Well that is all the boring stuff I am posting for the night. Later Dude.

P. S. Maybe I will post another entry about my weird
ex's or ex-admirers that seem to be circling around lately. Hmm. . . Do you think they know something I don't know?<o:p></o:p>

< It's holy week, cadets. | After Almost 20 Years... >
Life's little surprises are not always pleasant | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Long time no post by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 03:10:49 AM EST
It was only looking in the archives that convinced me this wasn't a spam user.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
really? by purr (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 08:34:59 AM EST
I didn't know archives kept entries that old.  Can image what you think I would be spamming about? Accusing me of trolling maybe but not spamming. Weird.
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Your last story was 3 years ago by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 09:17:15 AM EST
...unless you wrote a lot of hole diaries, which disappear.
I was half expecting the red words to be some form of styled link...

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Like I said by purr (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 09:27:58 AM EST
I am as surprised as you that I still have anything in archives. I have expected my old entries would have been recycled by now. I have just been very busy. I did stopped from time to time to read a few stories and post a comment or two.

I am keeping the secret of the red words to myself. No spamming though. I hate spamming.
yah by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 09:47:09 AM EST
I was about to click the alert mods button..

come on by purr (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 10:49:39 AM EST
a few red words aren't that scary.
They're different by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 10:54:35 AM EST
We don't like different. It makes us nervous.

We're very conservative around here. Especially the Guardian readers.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

for me it wasn't the red words by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 11:09:09 AM EST
it was the fact that the entire post was in an unnaturally large font.
Unnaturally large font? by purr (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 11:27:46 AM EST
Then maybe you already know my secret behind the red words. hmmmmm
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 01:16:25 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

you should know better by purr (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 11:09:51 AM EST
than admit to some thing making you nervous. It could be seen as a weakness and used against you. Not saying I would do such a thing.

Guardian readers? That is a new one on me. Can you explain?

this is a place by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 11:29:29 AM EST
where it's ok to admit to something making you nervous.

red words, by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 11:10:42 AM EST
fonts, "start my own business", join a yahoo group, there were enough key words/catch-phrases that stood out on the skim-read that my spam/crapflood sensor was dinging like mad..

All it needed by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 01:51:52 PM EST
was a blink tag...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

But I was good. by purr (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 05:54:42 PM EST
I didn't put ANY tags on my post.
I feel alcoholism has prepared me for this day. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 04:32:20 AM EST
It's as if the Hellmouth has opened directly beneath my bed.

Interesting by purr (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 08:39:08 AM EST
Would you like to talk about it?

And why would think Hellmouth is under you bed?
Only 50 a year? by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 10:26:57 AM EST
I'm up to 42 just for this quarter, and I was slacking off in February.

Woo Hoo! Share the love and the Knowledge. by purr (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Mar 30, 2010 at 10:48:47 AM EST
That makes me feel better. I was worried since I will probably hit 50 in April that maybe I was a freakazoid.

Pass along some of your best reads for this year to add to my TBR list, please.
Love it.
Mean it.
;D
2009 was horrid. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Apr 04, 2010 at 08:09:26 PM EST
I also got calls from head-hunters, but nothing came out of that. I have no idea what would they call if they did not have anything concrete in an employers' market.

I was also seriously considering to abandon my current field of expertise, I think I may still do it, one can't compete against the low salaries paid in India, Singarpore or, er, Mexico :-)

Good for them, people living in rich countries have to become inventive about ways to make a living, saving money, reduce conspicuous consumerism.

I think once all is said and done, people in rich countries will be better in many ways they didn't suspect they could be.

I hate being colorblind. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Apr 05, 2010 at 08:08:42 PM EST