Print Story It's holy week, cadets.
Boredom
By gzt (Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 02:06:20 PM EST) gzt, ffmi, work, nonsense (all tags)
I'd be silent from diarizing or something, but I'm at work, so, yeah.

Had a test last Thursday. I think I did decently on it.

Fat-Free Mass Index. Essentially, a BMI calculation using only lean body weight. By coincidence, it seems that 25 is about as high as people get without drugs. I'd like to read more of the documentation behind this, because I think they may have been looking solely at lean athletes. A Paul Anderson type (to refer to somebody in the pre-drug era), I would think, would have a much higher FFMI at the expense of also having a lot more fat on him. Still, most of us aren't in that boat. Anyway, I think that figure, the FFMI, and another figure I'm inventing right now, BMI-FFMI=Fat Mass Index (FMI), are probably a lot more useful than BMI. I mean, if you have somebody with a 30 BMI but its principle components are 25 and 5, that person is probably pretty healthy, but it the components are 18 and 12, that is not as good. But this is all just "interesting" rather than scientific information.

In other fitness news, there's a 4-year-old 18,000 post thread making fun of "Crossfit" somewhere. I've been catching up on it slowly in spare moments at work and such. More than half of the posts have been in the past year. It is enlightening to watch the hate grow. It is like a finely-aged wine.

Taxes! We need to find time to discuss them. I just have a couple little things to do, but I want to talk about them with Teh Wife at some point. It seems we're getting money back this year, which is nice.

I had two beers on Saturday. Drinking was great. Some hoppy IPA. Had sushi yesterday. That also was mighty fine.

Work is always nonsense.

< Domestic news | Life's little surprises are not always pleasant >
It's holy week, cadets. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Taxes! We need to find time to discuss them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 03:45:11 PM EST
It seems we're getting money back this year, which is nice.

You either have no problem giving the government a free loan, or you can't understand math.

Discuss.

Or I got married... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 04:31:08 PM EST
...and got an unexpected Making Work Pay credit as a result.

I also didn't state the magnitude of the refund.

He didn't state the magnitude of the loan by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 05:18:42 PM EST
I'm not certain what magnitude has to do with anything.

The change in marital status, though, makes it hard to guess just how much should be withheld. This difficulty was heightened with changes to the tax code.

Cicero, The Republic
If it's like $20... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 05:52:13 PM EST
...that's a rounding error on somebody's part. Whatevs. If it's $2000, then I can't do math. I'd rather get $20 back than owe $500, all things considered (presuming same actual level of tax).

Personally, I'd rather owe $500 by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 06:06:12 PM EST
It would mean that I've received a $500 interest free loan from the feds.

But as hard as I tried, it didn't work out to that.

Cicero, The Republic
see, if I owe 500... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 06:10:02 PM EST
...it means I miscalculated and have to find that money somewhere. So I don't have it lying around. Now, if I were planning on owing 500, that's a different matter.

Interest on $500 by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 06:22:17 PM EST
nowadays is measured in fractions of cents.
There is that by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 06:26:41 PM EST
But the big thing to me is opportunity cost. My budget is tight. I'd far rather have $500 to spend over the course of a year even if it means having to pay it back two months after the last day of the year.

Cicero, The Republic
I think this ignores an important point by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 04:51:16 PM EST
body fat % is a much better measurement of body health than bmi to begin with. If you have the former, there's no need to combine it into some new form of the latter.

true... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 05:06:35 PM EST
....but 20% bodyfat at 180# is different from 20% bodyfat at 240#. The guy at 180# needs more muscle and the guy at 240# needs less fat.

In all seriousness by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 09:33:04 PM EST
Why all the hate on crossfit?

I understand in the general sense, I try and avoid HQ and Glassman is an idiot.  But a good affiliate is a great place to work out, where else in Chicago that isn't a college weightroom has 8-10 platforms, jerk blocks, several tons of bumpers, etc.?  Be nice if it was half the price, and it'd be nice if you could specialize slightly (like say you want to focus on strength for 6 months or something instead of everyone does the same workout), but a well-run affiliate will do a lot of legit barbell work and will usually have good coaches.  There's several dudes deadlifting in the mid to high 400's, which isn't elite by any means, but it's closing in on pretty damn strong, especially for a lean 200-ish pound dude.

The bad affilliates, the cult mentality, etc...  Yeah.  But to pick a particular exercise that the starting strength guys bag on, what's wrong with the barbell thruster, assuming that it's composed of a deep front squat with a high-elbow rack and a press including lower back and upper body cues?  They always kick my ass, and don't seem like a recipe for destroying my joints or whatnot if you stop rather than slop.

I'm being serious.  I'm trying to decide if I want to do my own thing next month or re-up my membership.  It's a lot of money, but considering the amount of coaching you get it's not unreasonable.  The real question is do my goals require that level of coaching...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
*I* don't hate it. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 10:07:42 PM EST
I'm just terribly amused by people who do hate it (and people who drink the flavor-aid). Good affiliates can do very good things, especially if they aren't self-important absolutists about Crossfit (and especially if they realize that beginners need strength more than conditioning). What little I've heard about the folks you're with seems to indicate it's a good bunch (ie, they actually like strength and barbells/lifts are tools for stuff besides getting you tired).

Though the barbell thruster really is pretty horrible. Either front squat or push press, or do both with a pause between them. If you're thinking of doing it as a strength move, well, it's just stupid, because you'll be stronger at push presses and that's the weak link in the chain, plus you really can't press out of the same position that you're front squatting with. If you're doing it for conditioning, you're encouraging doing them for time, which does lead to slop. Dumbbell thrusters are less crappy. Anyway, it's just that there are better ways to get the stimulus you're after. There are better ways to tire yourself out.

It's holy week, cadets. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback