Print Story I'd rather not pay $2,600 for drugs
Drugs
By georgeha (Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 10:43:43 AM EST) HCR, deductibles, slip sticks (all tags)
but the alternatives are worse.

Plus slipsticks, busy weekend with alone time, Five Days, taxes, summer vacation and less.

Poll: Closed due to extremist threats!

The weekend was busy. I drove out to the game store Saturday morning, mostly to chat, also to browse the clearance section, then back into the city to take thirteen year old and newspaper_girl to the ice rink for the class reunion, then back into the city. Preschool_mom agreed to take the eight year olds to the party, so Mrs. Ha and I had alone time to check out the thrifts (two in the same area where the game store and ice rink was, no, the thirteen year olds did not need a ride to the pizza place) and the to Y near where I work, stopping at the thrift store up the hill from the Y. Three thrifts, nothing I wanted to buy.

Miracuously, we had time together on Sunday, thirteen year old was too indisposed to go swimming. This time we hung out at a bookstore, and returned $10 of empties, to help buy groceries.

In other thirteen year old news, one night while studying math homework, we got to talking about slide rules, so I had to pull some out and try to explain how they worked, why adding the log of two numbers then finding the reverse is the same as multiplying the two numbers, and why it was important, and why there was a need for huge books just full of logs. I don't think she gets it, another skill lost to technology.

I have heard that Lucas is buying Heinlein's rights, so there will now be Andrew "Calculator" Libby.

We even fit DVD entertainment in there, the HBO series Five Days, about a missing blonde white women with two missing kids, set in England somewhere. It's five episodes, each one dealing with the events of that particular day in the investigation of the missing mom. It took a while to suck you in, it took us a few weeks to watch all five episodes, but it was worth it in the end. The production values were high too, the sets and auto's looked like just like England.

I did our taxes, for the first time ever I owe money to the Feds. When Mrs. Ha's office combined, they didn't correctly transfer her deductions, she got paid $4,000, and had nothing taken out. That said, it's only a modest amount we owe, and we're getting some back from New York. We're not getting enough for a week on the shore, so instead we're patronizing the New York parks system, and spending a week in a cabin near Ithaca in August, maybe Lake Seneca will be warm enough to swim in, or the creeks at Robert Treman.

Monday night's excitement was our mail order prescription company calling, saying there was a problem in my wife's latest order. I chose to press 1 and hold for a person, and was serenaded with something like bad heavy metal interpreted on bagpipe. Really, I had no idea what I was listening to, but it was painful.

It was more painful when I talked to real live person. Their policy prohibits shipping meds when the total is over $2,000. Uh-huh, over $2,000, I was expecting around $270, I guess the "street" value is ten times what the prescription company charges us, as if "street" dealers deal in SSRIs. This is for a three month supply.

This year, unlike last year, prescriptions count towards our high deductible. The $85 for a three month brand name presciption only happens after we meet our deductible. This order should do it.

I can't run a deficit on my HSA (unlike last year, where I could on my FSA), so somehow I have to front a few grand, and figure out how to pay myself back when I get money in my HSA. I think I just use my CC to get cash out of an ATM, and associate the ATM receipts with the appropriate medical receipts.

It's hard to believe this convoluted mess is the best health care system in the world.

On tap this weekend, an art exhibit and class at Nazareth, and not much else. I really should brew one last lager batch before it warms up. Maybe I can get to my bike too, and see if cleaning out the jets makes things better.

< For God so loved Saturn | Update >
I'd rather not pay $2,600 for drugs | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Five Days by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 10:51:11 AM EST
BBC Production with a few scenes reshot for US release so it should be reasonably authentic...

I have heard that Lucas is buying Heinlein's right by barooo (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 11:04:18 AM EST
Lucas?  George Lucas?

Fuck.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Yeap, Have Space Suit WIll Travel by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 11:12:00 AM EST
will now include a funny, awkward, amphibious alien sidekick.

"Meesa scareda wormfaces!"

OMG by barooo (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 12:49:44 PM EST
When I read that I was thinking of that story.  Specifically, what he could do to somehow make the Mother Thing be not awesome.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Although by barooo (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 12:55:08 PM EST
on the positive, I always picture something like the cantina during the "trial" scene.  Hell, one of the aliens is even described as doing backflips and shit while talking, so that could easily be a representative from planet jar-jar or wherever in the fuck he was from.  I've been targeting the brain cells that watched episode I and II with my alcohol consumption.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
after Starship Troopers by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 02:32:10 PM EST
I'm kind of numb to it.

note: I like the ST movie, but not as ST if that makes sense.

Books and Movies by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 05:36:07 PM EST
I liked ST as well, mindless entertainment.

What works for me, is to view any movie based on a book as a movie that just so happens to share the same name as a book, and other than that, having nothing what-so-ever to do with said book.  In that context, your comment makes perfect sense.

I do that with remakes as well, I didn't go into Planet of the Apes expecting to see a modern version of the "classic" - I went in expecting to see a movie I had never seen before.   Works for me, YMMV.

say it ain't so. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 12:42:59 PM EST
Lucas is buying Heinlein's rights

Oh, God, No.

I'm thinking I've f*cked up by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 12:52:36 PM EST
this would be a great story for Slashdot in six days.

It could be awesome by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 02:43:32 PM EST
Lucas does the Lazarus Long saga could be really fucking funny.

Cicero, The Republic
Love to see Stranger in Strange Land by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 03:56:33 PM EST
Made by him...

Health Care troll by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 05:39:38 PM EST
It might be pointed out that the FSA and HSA are the result of government intervention in health care.  Why would anyone expect it to get "better" by increasing the amount of government intervention?

Not that I care to debate health care, and I'm pretty happy with my FSA.  I can see how an HSA would be more of a pain though.  Sounds like the new legislation will limit what you can buy with FSA next year though.  How bad of an impact this will be, I'm not sure.

i'm annoyed by the FSA limits... by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 05:46:03 PM EST
this year I'm using it to cover my deductible, which I will meet because of the hospital stay. the limit they're proposing would not cover my deductible.
---------
Ideally, you can vote the government out by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 06:15:23 PM EST
I haven't found any "vote the bastards out" options on my proxy statements.

I can get used to my HSA, but it's darn regressive, unless you have a decent steady salary, you're locked out.

There's a 2003 Heritage Foundation article about Health Care Reform that's close to what Obama is doing, maybe he's really a closer conservative.

Sort of a Heritage Foundation article by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Mar 27, 2010 at 08:08:02 AM EST
It starts with, ``The views I express in this testimony are my own, and should not be construed as representing any official position of The Heritage Foundation.''

On the other hand, I was reading an article on Frum being let go from the American Enterprise Institute and found this snippet near the end of the article.

Bruce Bartlett, another conservative scholar who has been at odds with the right, wrote that Frum told him AEI staffers "had been ordered not to speak to the media" about health care "because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do. . . . The donor community is only interested in financing organizations that parrot the party line."

My emphasis.

Cicero, The Republic
Online rumors are saying the 1993 Republican plan by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Mar 27, 2010 at 09:37:24 AM EST
is an awful lot like ObamaCare, I have yet to verify that.

On a different forum, some super conservative was expressing dismay at how one part of ObamaCare was cutting goverment subsidies to corporations for retiree prescription benefits, making retirees pay more (specifically his parents).

I'm like, hmm, less money from the government, health care consumers being less shielded from their costs, sounds like a Conservative position to me, why the outrage?

I was thinking about this on my morning run by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Mar 27, 2010 at 10:19:05 AM EST
Some Democratic pundits cast the 2008 election cycle as a proxy battle between the Clinton and Kennedy factions of the Democratic party. Obama, the horse that the Kennedy faction was backing, won the cycle.

But now we see in the health are bill the same sort of pragmatism and move to the center that defined the Clinton administration.

That said, Kaiser has a summary of the Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993 and a side by side comparison of it to the recently passed bill. Co-sponsors of Chaffee's 1993 bill included Orrin Hatch, Bob Bennett, Kit Bond, Chuck Grassley and  Bob Dole.

Cicero, The Republic
Aha thanks! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Mar 27, 2010 at 11:57:12 AM EST

Heh. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Mar 27, 2010 at 05:44:40 PM EST
My mother-in-law, who is 85 and very, very conservative (she has a Heritage Foundation certificate hanging in her office), was complaining to me about health care reform. I try very hard not to engage her in political discussions at all but thanks to unfortunately timing, I got to hear all about the evilness of HCR. In this case, she first said that they were going to take away her Medicare drug benefits because she was over 80 and the government wants her to die (I reassured her that no one wants her to die because she pays taxes), and then she didn't get any traction with that argument, she went on an extended rant about how people used to pay their own bills and didn't need the government to step in. Health care is too expensive because of all the paperwork that the government requires was the next step for her, and then back to everyone should pay their own way.

Sigh. I felt like quoting Walt Whitman to her ("Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes"), but I don't think she would've seen the connection because I honestly don't think she realized that she was contradicting herself.

Ana's mom? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Mar 28, 2010 at 12:47:41 AM EST
I feel very surprized by this revelation. Really.

Found it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 26, 2010 at 06:19:49 PM EST
Laying the Groundwork for Universal Health Care Coverage.

Fpr those unfamiliar with the Heritage Foundation, it's a conservative think tank sponsored by billionaires, very economically conservative.