Print Story Atreides & the $100 Dollars
By atreides (Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:14:39 PM EST) (all tags)
A riddle...

Atreides makes $100 selling some old stuff on Craigslist. Since it all predates his marriage to Welsh Girl, he gets to keep it, paying no "spousal tax".

He decides to buy this from his local game store, willing to fork out an extra $8.25 in taxes to circulate money to a local business and have the item now. Local game store informs Atreides that producing company located in UKia no longer sells them through stores and it can only be gotten direct from the manufacturer.

Not wishing to give those English pigfuckers money (the rest of you Brits are OK, but those Brits are pigfuckers), Atreides goes to EBay and bids on one that he wins (from a good USian seller). With shipping, the grand total comes to $88.

Having paid no taxes and gotten the item for more than 10% off, what kind of beer should Atreides buy with the $12 remaining? Or should he do something else that does not involve taxes?

Discuss.

< gzt and the hundred dollars | The line is so thin I can't even see it >
Atreides & the $100 Dollars | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
IPA by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:28:42 PM EST
Dogfish

thunderbee thinks Flowers, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:45:05 PM EST
but I think Flowers isn't one of the best IPAs you can get.

well by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:49:50 PM EST
Harpoon tastes a bit like flowers. And perfume. And beer.

Why did I let lm pick the place. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:19:04 PM EST
Dogfish has a restaurant/brewpub a bit (don't try to walk from metro) NW of DC, and barely SE of me.

Wumpus

The main (and only other one I'm aware of) is a couple hundred miles east on the Atlantic shore.

Flowers for Welsh Girl by thunderbee (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:35:03 PM EST
can you get nice flowers for $12 over there?

Waitaminute by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:42:32 PM EST
When did you go through a divorce with Welsh Girl forcing you to pay spousal support payments?

Also, I only know local microbreweries, so I can't help you out there. Maybe Moosehead.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Spousal tax by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 02:55:50 PM EST
You've never been married, have you?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Nope by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 03:09:53 PM EST
Giving up sex in exchange for the possibility of divorce seems like a lose-lose situation.

Vive le Montréal libre.
unpopular answer by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 03:21:14 PM EST
From what I last remember, you guys have basically no money coming in.  Things may have changed, and I could be totally wrong.  If that is the case, just say, "Holy Fuckballs, Stacky!  Can you at least TRY to keep up!"

Anyway, you fine folks are more or less broke.  If you're not broke any more, you need to get yourself into a position where if shit happens again, you won't have to move in with suicidal drug addicts and put your little girl in harm's way.  Put the $12 in savings and start building up an emergency fund that has 1 full year's worth of expenses in it.  You bought your toy, now take care of your family.  $12 might not seem like much, but it's a start.  Rome wasn't built in a day, they pyramids went up stone by stone, blah blah blah blah.

Yes, I've been on a personal finance craze lately.  I've been working hard to get our family set up to succeed.  For the first time since we got married, we are finally getting ahead

Well, when you put it that way... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 03:54:38 PM EST
you are not even remotely irresponsible by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 05:02:42 PM EST
You have had a crap time of things as of late.  It's OK to buy yourself something fun.  In fact, it's important to keep your sanity in times like these.

It's all about balance: needs, wants, and savings.  You hit the wants and have some leftover.  Throw it into savings so you can work up to making your life easier the next time it all hits the fan.

ladies and gentlemen... by clock (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 06:52:09 PM EST
I give you my wife!  She's not too good with contextual reading and doesn't like to wander too far off of her Hotlist.

If you aren't trolling, man, we've got a problem!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

i rest secure in the knowledge by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 06:58:02 PM EST
that i will be dry heaving in your face later this evening.

I wandered off my hotlist once. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:08:58 PM EST
It was cold and dark.

Click
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 04, 2010 at 07:31:33 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Don't you call me a pigfucker! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 07:00:05 PM EST
My sheep will get jealous.

Atreides & the $100 Dollars | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback