Print Story I'm on a boat.
Educashun
By gzt (Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 01:36:58 PM EST) gzt, curves (all tags)
This is nonsense.

I have a slight cold. Mildly annoying.

Work is all BS. It's a good sort of BS, though. Kind of.

I've switched over the mixed grip on my deadlifts. I've resigned myself to the fact that my grip just isn't strong enough at the moment to do double-overhand and I need to work my deadlift more than I need to work my grip. I have a faint inkling that I could hit 200kg in time for the meet. It doesn't seem likely, but it's a small probability. 190, less remote, still unlikely. Squatting, sigh, not spectacular since it's high bar. Hitting around 140kg for a few reps each day. Not eating much and my other lifts are going up, so that's fine for now. As long as I hit 450kg at the meet, which looks feasible, I'll be happy. Went home, seemingly never-ending cardio. Hovering around 250#, a few pounds less than I came into Lent with.

Not reading much. I have a slight cold, so I'm too distracted on trains to concentrate. I've been half-asleep on the trains, which works well. Jacques le Fatalist is engaging, but requires one to be in a certain mood.

Going to have to figure out how to build a boat. A quick, adaptable boat.

Woo St Patrick's Day! I don't really care and will not be consuming alcohol today.

Part of Wife's birthday present is arriving today. I also should be receiving those amazon gift certificates or something.

Seriously, guys, you don't need 21 graphs to describe 160 people.

Sha na na na na na na. Sha na na na na na. Gettin' jiggy with it.

I severely need a haircut. I'd just take out the clippers and take it down to .25" or something, but I don't think the wife would like it. So I'll buy a haircut somewhere. I have to shave first to do that. I don't "have to" shave first, but it's easier that way.

The wikipedia article for "Crossfit", a fitness cult mentioned in earlier diaries, has gone back to ad copy thanks to the tireless work of a handful of apologists. A short time ago, an outsider tried to clean it up, but lost the war of edit attrition. I really don't care, I just find it interesting. It's one of the flaws of wikipedia: at the end of the day, despite policies about "NPOV", it's whoever shouts the loudest when it comes to pages with low traffic. Not that there's anything nefarious about the program. The article is an ad, that's all. It should be written more like the article for Curves International, which is a roughly comparable corporation.

< ye olden times | Lost somewhere, near the coast. >
I'm on a boat. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
didn't your guy by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 02:16:49 PM EST
say cross fit is a cult.. At least I thought he broke with them in a diplomatic "we aim to achieve different things" or somesuch polite way of saying they're fullashit.

Mark Rippetoe... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 02:35:25 PM EST
...broke with them, apparently, because they were after different things and their treatment of him was personally insulting. Dan John broke from them because they insulted him and his integrity after he refused to write a rebuttal to some article in an online magazine that made light fun of them. And they broke from Greg Everett because he tore their methods for teaching and using the Olympic lifts to shreds, and then they insulted him. And they have a history of insulting anybody outside of the movement, though I generally find those people more useful (for instance, they called Jack Reape a morbidly-obese underperformer, but his articles on periodization are probably the most useful 10-page summary of how to program stuff out there and he's not, by any stretch of the imagination morbidly-obese or poorly performing). I use Mark Rippetoe's and Rippetoe-inspired stuff the most out of all that (70's Big, etc), but, yeah, anyway.

bored at work by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 04:33:51 PM EST
I read this article which summarizes research: http://elitefts.com/documents/md_training_bytes.htm

Of interest based on previous conversations: A study from the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston of endurance and power athletes found that the heart responds differently to pressure and volume loads. Systolic blood pressure (higher blood pressure number) can exceed 400 millimeters of mercury (mmHg) during heavy squats (120 mmHg is normal resting systolic blood pressure), which overload and hypertrophy the walls of the left ventricle that pumps blood into the general circulation. A discussion of the cardiac adaptations caused by resistance training.

Squatting 450 kg on free weights? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 12:15:06 AM EST
Colour me impressed.

no, a 450kg total. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 08:03:29 AM EST
that's the sum of squat, bench, and deadlift. i'm expecting a 170kg squat, maybe 180.

I'm on a boat. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback