Print Story ye olden times
By Merekat (Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 11:55:05 AM EST) (all tags)
Why I am glad I wasn't around then.

Watched Clarissa Dickson Wright cook some things from a medieval cookbook and it occurred to me yet again that the very best you could hope for in this era was not to die to horribly or early, and to be served fish with too-sweet dried fruit sauces. Of course, were I around in medieval times, I would also be deaf, mostly blind, approaching middle age and restricted from most kinds of power on the basis of several accidents of birth that I would have no opportunity to overcome.

My mission this week - to take a full lunch break and leave the office on time each day is currently at 2/2. I think this is working as for the first time in several weeks I am actually hungry at mealtimes and have sufficient energy in the evenings to take some form of exercise. Still only slept about 4 hours last night though. Margaret Thatcher was clearly some kind of biological freak to thrive on lack-of-sleep.

I have not had a beer since last Thursday. Not in the mood, even though I have one Dogfish left. Not not in the mood in a bad way though.

I think dinner shall involve mashed potato. With something.

< "Forward" he cried, from the rear | I'm on a boat. >
ye olden times | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
with corned beef by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 12:06:38 PM EST
and cabbage, and green beer.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 04:22:28 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I read it by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 05:32:45 PM EST
In a West Country accent, and it made more sense that way.

Cookbooks by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 17, 2010 at 07:19:37 PM EST
I have a 19th century cookbook.  I am really glad I didn't live back then.  Most of the recipes include "boil one hour" as a step.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 18, 2010 at 11:20:34 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I only sleep 4 hours a day. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 29, 2010 at 09:29:00 AM EST
That seems to be enough most of the time.

I also run regularly, and occasionally run 10K or half marathon races, so no lack of energy.

I have read that eventually my health my take a hit, still waiting and hoping it does not happen ...

ye olden times | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback