Print Story A Whiteboard Story
Technology
By Captain Tenille (Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 12:46:58 PM EST) whiteboards, seriously 2.5 years (all tags)

Around the time my son was born, I took a cue from my boss and picked up a whiteboard to write stuff on. It wasn't the biggest whiteboard ever because of the unusual shape of my office walls (joys of a early 1900s craftsman), but I figured it would work for what I needed. Bizarrely, though, I wrote on it once and was never able to erase it.

I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong; I had used the right markers, not a sharpie, but nothing would get the marker off the whiteboard. I never took the whiteboard down, but never wrote on it again, not wanting to make it worse. For about 2 and a half years, it stayed up there.

Last week, I picked up a new computer after my Linux desktop had driven me over the edge with freezing and rebooting randomly (for several months even). As part of that, when I was pulling cables and computer stuff out to put the new one in and strip the old one down, I started cleaning my office out. After I had hauled a box of random computer parts back upstairs after sorting through them to throw the broken bits out, I turned out the light in my office and happened to look closer at my whiteboard, thinking that maybe a Magic Eraser might get the marker off. I noticed while looking at it that it looked a little strange, not like a whiteboard should.

The plastic film that was covering the whiteboard came right off.

< I watched a lot of 5 Second Films | Oh so many places we'll go! >
A Whiteboard Story | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Heh. by technician (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 02:15:55 PM EST
That's fantastic.

I was removing a computer once from an office...the user was getting a shiny new laptop to replace an old-and-grody one. The new one was booting and the user remarked how clear and bright the display was. Her chief complaint with the old laptop was the screen: it was hard to read, exhibited jaggy lines, and her daughters couldn't see movies on it when travelling, something about the display being poor when not directly in front of it.

Their old system had a 3M privacy filter on it. I asked the user, hey, do you need another privacy filtery thingy? I'd have to order one if so, ya see. The user looked at me, blank, confused. Privacy filter? Like, software?

No, like this screen cover, I said, pulling the privacy screen from the old laptop. The user just stared at me.

"What's that?" she asked. I am often faced with situations where I have to demonstrate, in some non-insulting way, how the user missed a basic solution to a long standing problem. It's a bizarre side effect of the job.

Oh my. by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:40:20 PM EST
This, at least, wasn't quite so obvious (I hope). The film really was difficult to see - it's not like whiteboards aren't already shiny, after all.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

+1, FP, etc. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 02:28:26 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

NDS - New Dad Syndrome by clock (4.00 / 3) #3 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:29:27 PM EST
Don't let this happen to you.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

So true by duxup (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:32:04 PM EST
God I'm an idiot now.

____
I'd say it passes... by clock (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:45:00 PM EST
...but CT and I are both examples of severe cases.  Get a ton of notebooks and some Ginko!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Sad thing is by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:37:47 PM EST
I was already a dad. My daughter was nearly four at the time.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Longest case of NDS on record! by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 06:44:20 PM EST
Get to a doc stat!  Ginko all around!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

That reminds me of a story. by komet (4.00 / 3) #9 Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 10:31:03 AM EST
Once, I was helping a friend move out of a hovel where he was staying. It was a mess and had no bed, for mental health reasons that I won't go into. Anyway, this operation involved carrying a heavy couch down some stairs. At one point, a part popped out and interfered with the bannisters, preventing movement.

"Wait a moment", I said, "the fold-out-bed mechanism is stuck somehow."

"The WHAT mechanism?" he asked.

Turns out he had spent four years of his life uncomfortably folded onto the couch at nights, blissfully unaware that it could be folded out into a bed.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

A Whiteboard Story | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback