Print Story watching the Hitler^W History Channel
By clover kicker (Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 06:43:39 AM EST) (all tags)
They're running a documentary series about the "greatest tank battles".

Some of the old WW2 tank guys they interviewed were describing the way you can see incoming shells skimming over the ground, getting bigger and bigger...

One guy said he was SURE he was dead, but the incoming 88 shell hit a telephone wire just before it got to his tank, and deflected enough to miss.
< The broccoli had gone. But the hurt remained. | Happy Birthday, Mom. >
watching the Hitler^W History Channel | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 07:30:40 AM EST
M26 Super Pershing.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Or (just) by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 07:43:40 AM EST
British Centurion - still operational in the 1973 Arab-Israeli conflict.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Mark V Panther by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 09:47:12 PM EST
Tigers were great if they ran, and had fuel, but the Panther was more balanced.

Why the T-34 vote? by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 05:01:51 AM EST
If in one on one combat, I'd rather be sitting in the Tiger. In fact even at given 3 T-34s or Shermans as opponents. I'd rather be sitting in the Tiger. It's only at odds of 5-1 I'd start feeling uncomfortable with my decision and would be backing up.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
sure by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 06:24:57 AM EST
But the hoards of inferior tanks won :)

It's a meaningless question anyway, are we talking about best firepower, manouverability, manufacturability, blah blah.

BTW ever play any of the Combat Mission WW2 games? Fantastic tank games.

I used by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 06:36:30 AM EST
to play M1 Tank Platoon (ok I know its not WW2) a lot, but over the last few years I've gone Medieval.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I think by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 07:02:53 AM EST
...that the Germans were a great offensive team, but less good on the defensive. However, even on the defensive their tanks still scored kill ratios of 10:1 and up; it was their resources shortages that were the main issue. Whilst a Tiger was slower than medium tanks, it still did 25mph, which wasn't bad for the time, and could go faster if you did like the US forces do to the Abrams and take the engine governor off when no one is looking.

I don't think its a meaningless question; some tanks got the tradeoffs right and some got them badly wrong. The T-34 is an excellent mass produced tank; but the question did not mention numbers produced. So, if I was in a tank battle, my ass would feel safest in the following:
a) British Centurion
b) US M-26
c) German Tiger. I would have been tempted by the Tiger II, but they were too underpowered, and suffered from poor manufacturing standards.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL