Print Story wet shaving
Latin
By gzt (Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 03:55:33 PM EST) gzt, pharmacy, friday, salad (all tags)
I've been lazy about shaving. Teh Wife said she could use a good ol' fashioned safety razor. I figured that I should get one, too, since the electric one I have is crappy, painful, and unwieldy.

We also have magic extra Amazon gift certificates for like $200 coming. Anyway. So I'm probably getting a razor for her, a razor for me, a badger bristle shaving brush, a stand, a mug, and some good soap. Good for me. I'll probably shave much more with the proper tools.

Magic extra Amazon gift certificates: when I first got my Amazon rewards card, they had troubles getting the gift certificates out to me. So they recently gave me like $200 worth. Huzzah.

I started Jacques the Fatalist. It's very apparent that Milan Kundera likes this book a lot.

Seriously, guys, The Dead Poets Society sucks. Like Avatar, it feels profound and all, but it's all tripe and pablum. What are some other crappy movies like that? If you disagree about Dead Poets, you can shove it.

Speaking of tripe, Easter is far away. I might convince my wife to make me some afterwards.

There was free lunch today at work. I had a big ol' salad and some fruit, eschewing the angel food cake and the whipped cream that was supposed to go with the fruit. The lunch was a celebration of meeting our division's goals and getting giant sacks of cash.

Anyway. It's Friday. You know what that means! Training!

Okay, I'm running around and grabbing some stuff at the pharmacy, brb.

< Consigned Conscience | The broccoli had gone. But the hurt remained. >
wet shaving | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What you'll find... by barooo (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 04:08:13 PM EST
the double edge safety razor is less irritating once you figure it out, but takes more time.  And doesn't shave quite as close typically.  But the brush and good shaving cream or soap is 100% pure win.  For a DE razor either ebay an old gillette from the 40's and sterilize by boiling the shit out of it, or get a merkur HD, which isn't quite as good but isn't bad, and can be had from amazon.  Much like fountain pens, right around the time the technology was perfected for real world use (a parker 51 pen, or a gillette fatboy adjustable razor) it became obsolete.

But I find that most days I am arsed to shave I use the brush & soap with a mach3.  The DE just takes too much time and focus to do before work and if you try and rush it you'll probably get a few cuts.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Pump Up the Volume? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 04:09:43 PM EST
The problem with a movie like Dead Poet's Society is that, if you saw it as a teen/early twenties something person, it struck a nerve because it played up all those old high school drama OMG THAT'S ME type fears. If you didn't see it until yesterday, yeah, it'd probably seem pretty stupid.

Pump Up the Volume is much the same. There is a point to these movies, but if you have no ability to tap into your inner teenage nerd, well, the point's gonna be somewhere in the stratosphere. Though if it makes you feel better, you can say it's in the bedrock.

The catch with seeing it now (Dead Poets) by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Mar 13, 2010 at 05:18:26 AM EST
is that you see the teacher as a peer. You see him as a guy who manipulates his charges for his own interests and isn't interested in what happens to them. You see a very different movie.

Wumpus

Interesting. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 15, 2010 at 08:01:33 AM EST
I always saw it as the rest of the faculty trying to manipulate them for their own interests, while he was trying to show them how to self-motivate.

I'm discovering more and more that I really suck at this movie analysis thing.

Hmm. by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 04:12:32 PM EST
The words ``proper tools'' and ``safety razor'' do not belong in the same sentence without a negation.

That said, I do not use proper tools to shave. Someday, I hope to live an indulgent lifestyle where I can pay others to use proper tools to shave my beard.

As for Dead Poet Society, even my teenage daughter thinks it's stupid. Of course, she judges all movies on whether or not she can personally sympathize with one of the main characters and there aren't any teenage girls as main characters in Dead Poets.

But, Yeah! Training! You should train more. I fear that you may get weak and die.

Cicero, The Republic
That is the ideal tool, I suppose. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 04:26:19 PM EST
The true proper tool isn't even that expensive, but it's a bit more of an effort to keep it in shape.

But, yes, especially during Lent, I am in grave danger of death due to weakness.

It ain't the razor as much as the technique by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 05:26:00 PM EST
Me, I use the Wilkinson Protector. Two blades with thin wires across them every 5mm or so which prevent them being able to catch and nick your skin. Very good for my tender, pointy Adam's apple. Smooooooth shave every time.

Anyway, what's important is how you shave. Don't just wet your face, soak a washcloth with the hottest water your face can bear and hold it on there. Wring and repeat every 30 seconds or so for at least 3 rounds, making the water hotter if you can.

Now you can lather up. Gel, foam, soap... it doesn't matter. It just needs to be a little bit slippery. That stupid bottle of liquid hand soap or hotel all-in-one shower gel is fine. Keep the lubricant on the assisting hand.

First time around, go with the grain. Don't let any part of your face get dry. This is a two-hand job the whole way through. Rinse the razor every after each full stroke.

Rewet/smear the lube and now it's time to go against the grain, holding the razor at a sharp angle so that lots of blade only cuts a few hairs. Pull your facial skin taut, use short strokes this time, constant rinsing, and never let the skin dry. If you pull the skin hard and press the razor harder you'll get better results, but this is also likely to earn you a cut or 12 (which is why I use the above-named brand).

Rinse your face to get any remaining scum off with warm water, then wash thoroughly with cold.

You now have a face as smooth as a baby's butt. How long it remains that way depends on your genes and how hard you pulled.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

physics by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 06:30:04 PM EST
You're certainly correct insofar as proper preparation leads to a closer shave.

But in the end, you can't just beat the physics. There is no present safety razor on the market that can compete with a properly cared for straight razor.

Cicero, The Republic
Fizzicks? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 06:49:20 PM EST
I'm now going to be schooled on shaving by a guy living in my hometown who roots for a team from the EAST SIDE of VINE STREET?

I really can't wait to see these equations.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Is that right? by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 10:35:54 PM EST
Seems to me that only one team from Cincy is making the NCAA tournament this year and it isn't the one from the west side of Vine street.

It's also the school from which basketball players actually have to attend courses and take tests and at which basketball players will be flunked if they can't do the work.

Cicero, The Republic
s/how hard/who/ by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Mar 13, 2010 at 07:23:19 AM EST

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Easter is far away. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 06:10:45 PM EST
I miss dairy.

My girlfriend and I are a pair -- I'm trying fast orthodox style for lent, and she took up using a rosary for lent. Both of us are standard protestants.

As a protestant by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 10:45:02 PM EST
...I shall give up dancing.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
agree with baroo...mostly. by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 12, 2010 at 07:43:49 PM EST
i find that my merkur DE gives me a much better shave than anything i've ever had.  classicshaving.com is a good place to look around.  good shit.  i can use a blade for a month.  i'll never go back to any other kind of shaving.

good hunting.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah by barooo (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 10:58:32 AM EST
Every once in a while -- and more often if I'm doing it more often, so it's technique, somehow -- I get a shave with the DE that is just amazingly close and doesn't irritate me at all.  But typically I get something that's very comfy but not quite as close as using a mach 3, or I push it and get razor burn or cuts.  But the mach 3 destroys my face, if I shave every day or so for a couple of days my skin is a wreck.  I can go a few days in a row with the DE if I don't push it, but it's not going to be baby's butt smooth.  The main problem is that it's 10-15 minutes of shaving to do it right.  It's relaxing and feels pretty good, but 10-15 minutes is more time than I have during the week, and I'm morally opposed to shaving on weekends.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt