Print Story It's virtual Friday
Travel
By georgeha (Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:56:34 AM EST) jock, flying, beer, hexity goodness (all tags)
so I must be diarizing.

Plus actual f2f wargaming, trip prep, MVP, beer, and less.

Poll: Favorite Napoleon?

I got some wargaming in Saturday, one day in Jena 20, a small game on the Napoleonic battle of Jena. The other dude and I both had youngin's in art classes at a local college. Nothing conclusive, other than committing the Guard is a serious undertaking. A-and, take care transferring counters off the dinner tray of conflict into the Ziplock, I left four on my study floor, and Jack found one walking in.

Wednesday night was the Winter Sports Banquet for thirteen year old, minus the banquet because she forgot to hand in the check. The highlight was her getting MVP for her swim team. She thinks she's now better than last years winner, who also missed practices and meets for some honor society thing. This may cause trouble, as last years winner is a bit of a Diva.

Her team went undefeated, again, but then, swimming isn't a sport where city schools are known for being contenders. Next year she'll be on the varsity team, combined with another, rougher school, competing against seniors and presumably the Catholic schools, a whole 'nother level of competition.

I don't know if she'd ever get a Title IX scholarship, though she has great backstroke form and a decent swimmer's body (thin with long arms and big hands), but that would allow another option for college, in addition to academic scholarships, free tuition or tuition assistance at local colleges for city public school grads, and our own savings.

Afterwards, we went to Wendy's, and that food hit my stomach like a brick. That was part of the reason I stayed up late, finishing my keg of honey lager and swapping in to force carbonate the keg of Pilsner, while reading the rules for Invasion of Malta (part of Air Assault on Crete) and perusing the musty components. Malta would fit on my tray, it may be up next. Thanks again OT.

I set up my HSA credit card, so now I can pay horrendous medical expenses directly. I'm hoping that they don't ask for the records like my FSA did (copies of the bill faxed to them when I accumulated enough to get reimbursed for), I suppose a payment to a Dr's office affiliated with a hospital system could be interpreted as a mani-pedi, otherwise it's just more paperwork.

Lots of packing last night, and last minute sewing and thonging.

So, I still have to get what boarding passes I can, I've never flown SouthWest, so I'm figuring out our best way to board. I'm thinking I'll lead the way into the scrum, with thirteen year old right behind elbowing, eight year old behind her, and Mrs. Ha bringing up the back.

Tonight we're off to the inlaws in Tonawanda, for pizza, as we're flying out of Buffalo and this saves time in the morning.

< I am sick. | My horse is amazing >
It's virtual Friday | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
big hands eh ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:02:53 PM EST
I lack the right search-fu to find the dilbert about the girlfriend having big hands.

Anyway, swimming like many sports is very injury prone.. Shoulders almost always.. May vary with the stroke, but every college swimmer I knew had surgery and wore lots of ice packs.

The Mrs is being harassed to provide documentation for using her FSA card.. Making it pretty worthless, IMO..

I'm certainly skeptical of her making a living by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:07:46 PM EST
as a swimmer, but as a way to pay for college, okay.

Her shoulder's are odd, they make a funny noise when the moves them. That's probably not good.

Last time... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:05:30 PM EST
that we flew SW, the deal was to check in online as soon as it's possible to do so (24 hrs prior to flight time, IIRC). They issue boarding numbers in order of check-in (except if you pay extra for a number under 16 or something), and you sit anyplace once you're on the airplane.

Lemme know if that's still the system; we're doing the SW thing again soon.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Looks like it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:13:06 PM EST
I'm printing the passes for the trip out.

I'll have to see if I can print them out at the hotel.

Paying for college by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 01:15:02 PM EST
I'm glad I went 20 years ago, when state schools were cheap. Pell Grants covered tuition and books, GI Bill covered spending money.

GI Bill is a really great deal these days, although it does have the downside of the off chance of dying for your country.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

If she is interested in the Armed Forces by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 01:35:21 PM EST
I'd support her. I don't know how she'd do, she gets annoyed by arbitrary rules, she also likes to be real active, and she likes structure.

The Naval Academy by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 05:37:21 PM EST
was the only way my brother was actually going to finish college. If she still has the self motivation issues, it could be helpful.

WIPO: Neapolitan Ice Cream mis-heard as Napoleon by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:07:37 PM EST
Or, alternately, the second definition at the Urban Dictionary

Since I'm no longer a father, I guess I can be a dirty old man.

urbandictionary is filtered by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:11:30 PM EST
so I won't even try.

I already voted WIPO by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:12:47 PM EST
So I can't vote for your just-added option.

You can make a dupe account by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:16:32 PM EST
and vote using that.

Bonaparte? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:43:10 PM EST
Oh, please!

The motherfucker couldn't even put down a revolt by uppity slaves on an island, for God's sake.

Duh, he was the Devil by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:48:35 PM EST
and the Devil helped the Haitiaaians.

Yes. well the Devil by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:54:28 PM EST
and Aedes Aegypti.