Print Story I am sick.
By dev trash (Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 04:39:45 PM EST) (all tags)
I took the day off.  Throat is still icky.  Nose is starting to sniffle.  Meh, all winter I'm good to go, spring comes up on me and I get sick.  Oh well.

I was just listening to the 911 tape of the guy in San Diego who was driving an out of control Prius.  The operator asks if he had tried neutral.  He said he had not.  Interviewed later he said he didn't want to put it into neutral because he had never dealt that car's transmission before and he didn't want the car to flip.

I'm no car expert but. . .  can a car flip when put into neutral while moving at high speed?  Back when I was a wannabe hyper miler I used to slip into neutral on some large hills.  I never felt that the car was going to flip.  Thoughts?

So Liz Cheney wants to out terror suspect defense attorneys?  Man, the constitution really was an elective for these people to read in law school.

I did not go to the gym last night and I doubt I'll go tonight.  I felt of last night, and slept.  This morning the sore throat was still there a bit, so I called off.  Slept some more.  Now I'm sniffly and sorta light headed.  I was home amongst the nephews and niece, so there is that I suppose.

I started my taxes.  So far I'm owing money.  This is no surprise as I set my W-4 up for this.  I had some ING interest so that amount will go up a bit.  I also still have student loan interest and I think I can take advantage of the savers credit because I opened up a Roth via ING last summer.  It'd be nice to just break even.

So for lunch I've been mixing it up a bit and taking a tortilla with peanut butter and pumpkin as the filling.  It's better than you would think.  The pumpkin is bland, but the peanut butter adds some sweetness.  My only worry is that a 1/2 cup of pumpkin is 300% of one's RDA of Vitamin A.

Had a bunch of nibbles on OkCupid and even got a few more replies.  And then nothing.  Frustrating.

Took some photos of the catalpa tree the electric company is going to cut down.  It is already pretty much hacked up.  It's been in the wires since I can remember, so I am not sure why they're taking it now.  They're also taking a locust up the road a bit but is not near the lines.  The refused years ago to trim the willow that was leaning towards the lines.  They've marked none of the pine trees in the neighbors yard for trimming even though 10 of them are in the lines.

A graph of my weight:

Anyway I should get back to doing my taxes, and wiping my nose.

< Attention *FC participant infidels | It's virtual Friday >
I am sick. | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Prius transmission by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 06:23:40 PM EST
At least some of the transmissions seem to be some sort of CVT (Toyota calls it a eCVT, and seems to have bits of gears inside). I have no idea what happens when you shift in/out of neutral.

Shifting a manual into neutral (and back again) is roughly the same as changing gears normally, and can be added to normal driving. Since the engine will fall to idle, I'd give it a little blip before re-engaging the gears.

Nearly as many people recommend killing the engine. No idea what happens on a Prius, but I'm pretty sure that my car loses both power steering and brakes, and the car is "geared" to need both.

Wumpus

I don't think neutral itself was the concern by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:55:14 PM EST
I think the point was that, being both unfamiliar with the transmission and being distracted by swerving in and out of traffic at high speeds, there was concern that the car might be shifted into park or even reverse by mistake.

Cicero, The Republic
I dunno by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 08:36:53 PM EST
My 2001 Tracker requires I push a button to go from N to R, while it just requires I nudge it to go to D to N.  I would assume that this is a safety mechanism all modern cars have.  Perhaps they've become safer by not even allowing the nudge to N from D.

Click
Different manufacturers use different tech by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 05:26:53 AM EST
My eurovan requires pushing a button to shift from any gear to any gear. Additionally, you can't shift to neutral or park without stepping on the brakes.

When I had a Yaris, it had a pseudo-stick shift that didn't require any buttons but had an oddly shaped track that meant moving the shifter around in bizarre patterns.

Cicero, The Republic
my experience with D->N in automatics. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:08:14 AM EST
87 honda accord, nudge from D to N, button push to get past N to R or P.
03 honda accord, nudge from D to N, button push to get past N to R or P.
06 ford mustang, nudge from D to N, button push to get past N to R or P.
My only concern would be with a shifter on the steering column, but my truck was the only vehicle I had with one of those.

ye olde waggone by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21:23 AM EST
can push/upshift directly (1,2,no-over-drive,drive,neutral).

To get into reverse or downshift you need to pull the arm forward then shift up/down.

(pull is equivalent to button press)

Was probably the same with my chevy truck by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:53:19 AM EST
I never bothered shifting into neutral and popping the e-brake when waiting around in a drive-thru and such with the truck.  With my cars, it's easy to nudge in neutral and pull the e-brake so I don't have to sit there laying on the brake pedal.

Prius by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:21:51 PM EST
The Prius gear lever is very different.  (See here.  It always rests to the side.  You flip it over and down for drive, over and up for reverse and just over for neutral.  Regardless, it snaps back to its rest location.  It is very obviously electronic, not physical, and given how easy it would be to accidentally hit reverse, I can't imagine it allowing it at highway speed.  Getting it into neutral is a little tricky in that you have to hold it in the neutral position for half a second.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Weird (n/t) by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:52:03 PM EST
Not Traditional

I have a CVT by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:07:12 AM EST
My wife's Nissan Murano has a CVT transmission, and those are more or less belt driven.  I have shifted it into neutral at highway speeds (by accident). It behaves just like a standard transmission, you just coast then. A CVT will re-balance itself to match engine RPMs without any input from the driver if you put it back in gear.

As far as killing the engine, in cars like the Prius that's a fly-by-wire ignition, if the computer is screwed up, it may not be possible to shut it off.  Older cars literally cut the electricity to the distribution system.

As far as brakes and steering go, every car is designed so that the brakes and steering work (both stiff, but work) in a no-power situation.  Otherwise people would die in wrecks when they ran out of gas.

I really don't understand these morons who don't put it in neutral when these Toyotas get that stuck acceleration problem.  Its just stupid not to.  Even if it wrecks the engine or transmission, it kicks the fuck out of dying.

Gedvondur

"I have a high threshold for taking it in the bum..." - MissTrish
Neutral by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #28 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:46:02 PM EST
I mostly worry about the software getting fucked up to the point that it ignores the "neutral" command.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I have his same car by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:18:44 PM EST
His fears seem idiotic.  First, the shift is obviously completely electronic.  I would be utterly stunned if the thing did anything other then give you an error beep if you tried to shift into reverse when moving.

Given the way the hybrid works, you don't really access the transmission the same way you do in a normal car.  I am 99% sure that "shifting into neutral" just tells the electronics to disconnect power from the wheels.  Any transmission that the gas engine has is likely completely under computer control and completely disconnected from direct driver command.

In a normal car, you hit the gas, and the automatic transmission decides what gear the thing should be in.  Going into disengages the whole mechanism.  In a Prius, hitting the gas causes the computer to first decide whether it can fulfill the request with battery only.  If so, it decides if it thinks the battery is low.  If it's low, it runs the engine to charge the battery.  If it thinks you need a boost, it connects the gas engine to the wheels.  I have no idea what sort of transmission is involved there.  (Quick googling says CVT.)

But more to the point, the Prius is often operating with the engine turned entirely off, even at highway speeds.  It seems a stretch that anything mechanical could go wrong.

As far as losing power steering goes...when I was in high school, I had a shitty Ford Maverick that lost power steering, and I was to cheap to get it fixed.  It was perfectly drivable, and about 10-20 mph, it wasn't even noticeable.  (Slower, it was a pain, but a livable one.)

The brakes on the Prius are very different as it uses regenerative braking.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

yeah I've lost power steering on an 73 impala by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:07:01 PM EST
Hell to get out of the parking lot, okay when driving.'

Click
I absolutely support Cheney on this move. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:07:14 PM EST
Attorneys brag about their body of work constantly, so they need to take credit for all their casework, popular or not.

What they did on the job is a matter of public record, so hiding their identities only prevents potential clients from making an informed choice about where their money goes.

except of course by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:30:19 PM EST
All of the names were in the public filings and Cheney was just stirring the pot to make it seem like there was a conspiracy here.

Click
RDA's are horseshit by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:35:39 PM EST
their the minimum amount of that vitamin you need to not get some disease.  Since most vitamins are water soluble, the worst that'll happen is some glow-in-the-dark piss.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
their/they're MY BAD by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:36:20 PM EST

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Prole. -nt by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 02:53:17 AM EST

Not all vitamins are water soluble by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:52:41 PM EST
And even the ones that are can be overdosed on. I for one don't have any desire to have the neon green diarrhea that can be the result of overdosing on vitamin c.

In the case of vitamin a specifically, the UL isn't much more than 3x the RDA.

Cicero, The Republic
Hence the *most* by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 09:03:20 PM EST
some are, some aren't.  What's the OD level for C?  When I was ironman training I was getting at least 10,000mg/day of it and never had any issues.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
LD50 (Oral) for rats is by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:59:43 AM EST
11.9 grams per kilogram. That's a lot of ascorbic acid.

It varies pretty broadly by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 06:01:41 AM EST
Take calculation of RDA. It's the value estimated to be an adequate dose for 97% of the population. Generally, it's about 30% higher than the EAR which is the value estimated to be adequate for 50% of the population. Body size, body composition, food and liquid intake, and other factors all vary how the body deals with vitamins.

That said,

The amount of vitamin C that is just short of the dose which produces diarrhea has been called the "bowel tolerance" dose. It is said to range from 4 to 15 grams per day in healthy individuals

So the dose you were taking might very well cause problems in some people but not in others.

It's also worth noting that vitamin c is one of the safest vitamins to consume and is virtually impossible to overdose on without taking supplements.

Cicero, The Republic
I knew someone who said by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:14:41 AM EST
that high dose vitamin C gave them kidney stones.

this I know by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 08:35:47 PM EST
However Vit. A is Fat Soluble, and I'm thinking if I eat 300%+ of Vitamin A 5 days in a row, I might be heading towards too much.  I dunno though.

Click
Don't worry about it by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 09:06:38 PM EST
I used to drink a liter of carrot juice every day with dinner.  700% RDA of vitamin A per 8oz means ~2800% for the whole liter with absolutely no issue besides having to take a monster piss before bed from the volume of liquid.

Anything can be OD'd on, with things like vitamins it'd take a concerted effort with supplements to get that done, not just eating food.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Vitamin A in by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 12:52:52 AM EST
marine mammals' organs is concentrated enough to kill you. Avoid seal liver in your diet.

ahhhh shit by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #30 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 10:04:03 PM EST
I was gonna join my Canadians in solidarity this weekend, though.

Click
Among the symptoms of too much vitamin A by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 08:27:06 AM EST
(AKA Hypervitaminosis A) are swelling of breast tissue in men, impotence and ejaculation failure,liver failure, and death.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

based on dev trashes diaries by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 09:24:53 AM EST
I don't think he'd be worried about those..

my moobs! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:08:27 PM EST
That explians it all!

Click
none of those. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 11:09:00 PM EST
TMI.

Click
gyms and feeling like crap by lm (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 07:56:53 PM EST
Going to the gym when your sick makes you feel worse but at worst you'll get better at the same rate than if you didn't go and might help you get better quicker.

On the other hand, all the people you don't infect by staying home will thank you.

Cicero, The Republic
one of the reasons by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 10, 2010 at 08:36:45 PM EST
I mean they have this spray stuff in a bottle but that doesn't really make me feel like the machines are being cleaned.

Click