Print Story Whatever happened to the Troll Community
Trolling
By squigs (Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 01:30:25 PM EST) (all tags)
I remember having great fun telling Slashbots that the pyramids were built by aliens, or the Linux was a mature operating system ready for the desktop.  There was a whole hidden sid for us to compare notes.

Granted, Slashdot isn't such a great playground anymore.  Posting something ludicrous gets voted as funny.  The more ernest fanatics don't need to be trolled.  The truth will wind them up. Kuro5hin seems dead.  Still, reddit can be fun.  There's an atheism subreddit and a Libertarian subreddit, each absolutely full of people who believe their view is the only view (I have no doubt there are others, any pointers would be nice).  Also a whole bunch of sheep who will vote up any quotation by any well known atheist, or Libertarian.

But there are very few trolls.  The ones that there are are extremely obvious.  Where are the heavy hitters?

Did we all just grow up?
< No skiferien for me | My head feels like a SWORD! >
Whatever happened to the Troll Community | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 01:40:21 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

The Atlantic. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 01:40:50 PM EST
Megan McArdle's blog is fun to troll. Although it's possible that everyone there is trolling. TNC's somewhat less so, as he's fast with the banhammer and the other posters there are more troll-aware.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Good trolls are amusing by duxup (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 01:47:28 PM EST
There really never were any, or are any.  Not for more than a few min.

reddit - yeah the group think there is strong.

As for Autism and the Internet, it is like politics and religion.

____
Reddit by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 03:04:23 PM EST
I had to implement a greasemonkey script for Reddit to even make it readable.  All that circlejerk, and other self-referential reddits were driving me nuts.  I average 15-25 submissions hidden per page with this script.

I don't read the comments, its a waste of time.

Gedvondur

"I have a high threshold for taking it in the bum..." - MissTrish
reddot wut? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 03:30:53 PM EST

Trolling by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 07:19:33 PM EST
Now that almost every newspaper and magazine takes comments online, there are all sorts of new fields for those who want to troll.

I think it was a Washington Post article I read where folks were even going for FIRST POST!

Cicero, The Republic
People even go for by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 07:22:49 PM EST
First Post on tmz.com now. What the hell?
They're trolling facebook with a pickle now. /nt by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 07:22:03 PM EST

As a leading consultant by Breaker (2.67 / 3) #9 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 05:56:53 AM EST
For a Fortune 500 company...

I think as the Intermong became commonplace the signal to noise ratio got to the point where you no longer read anything written by anyone you don't know without thinking they're talking bollocks, as a default position.

Back in the day, it was all earnest techies talking tech, all hard, verifiable science.  Then after the September That Never Ended, the intermong was awash with credulous fools for the trolling.  As the trolled clued up, the trolling opportunities disappeared.

I didn't have time to read the article by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 4) #10 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 06:21:04 AM EST
But if the article says that Loonix isn't ready for prime time it's just silly. I can play music, watch videos, write emails and create backgrounds that look like giant 3d spaceships with Loonix 9.5, just try doing that with your one button mouse.

Plus Loonix has multitasking built directly into the kernel unlike Windows - Windows does it in a pseudo multi-threaded layer that sits in middleware on top of the actual kernel. Anyone with a tcp/ip sniffer can readily see that - I don't know why more people don't comment on it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

/Nostalgia by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:57:00 AM EST
Sheer vintage, Bob, sheer vintage.

the Troll Community by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 08:45:31 AM EST
Apparently it was ruined by trolls.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
(Comment Deleted) by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:55:08 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by Breaker

Spannered formatting, by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:56:34 AM EST
Reposted in a legible format.

In fact it has been made illegal by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #13 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:55:38 AM EST
Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003

(1)   A person is guilty of an offence if he—

Sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character;
(2)           A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a)           sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b)           causes such a message to be sent; or

(c)           persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

(3)           A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both.

So, there you go.  NuLabia banned trolling.

There's an interesting legal discussion of the 2003 act here.

I love to say "I told you so" by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 03, 2010 at 10:26:55 AM EST
My famous, summer of 2002, comment on the significance of scoop was clear

Trolling is a transitional phenomenon. Grownups are coming to the internet as newbies, and getting trolled. In ten years time, there will not be any more newbies to troll. Sure there will be a fresh crop of teenagers every year, but fresh from the cruelties of the play ground they will not be easy touches.

I have a new hobby by Phage (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Apr 06, 2010 at 04:39:59 PM EST
It's engaging posters who hold themselves out as mature, educated professionals, and then keep pointing out that all of their points are crass, banal and in fact have been discussed to death nearly a century before they were born.

I then season the bait with a sprinkling of archaic words and literary references that they'll have to look up. I nearly got banned from a certain hardware site when the admin/target looked up what 'dissembling' meant.