Print Story The Trials of a New Dad
By duxup (Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 06:07:34 PM EST) foppery (all tags)
Some computer talk, mostly baby talk

Baby Talk: It is European

All baby clothing is the same it seems from store to store. My baby is dressed like your baby. Not a big deal I just notice it. The exception is the clothing that the sister in law sends us from Chicago. She shops at these baby boutiques an sends us these European outfits. Simpler patterns, not a lot of text or graphics. I like them for the most part.

Once in a while they get creative on how to snap the baby in the outfit. Note to designers: If I cant easily get his lower body out of the outfit at 1 am I'm not going to dress him in the outfit and avoid your stuff in the future. Several of them had some sort of weird Star Trek movie uniform designs with inexplicable overlapping parts and snaps that essentially mean you had to roll the baby around and hang him upside down in a particular order to get him out just to change his diaper. It was like one of those coffee table puzzles with a couple metal hoops, a string, and some wood thing all tied up, except your baby is in it.

duxup: What the hell is this thing?

Mrs. duxup: It is European!

duxup: Well don't their babies poop over there?!?!?! What the hell am I supposed to do with him in this thing?

Windows Home Server

I bought the windows home server I was thinking about. I bought one of the HP WHS products, an EX 490. I haven't spent as much time with it as I'd like but I've got mixed feelings at this point. The windows home server aspects of the system work great. Backups are automatic, the user friendly (not RAID) disk management and so forth works well. Shared folders, remote access to data, and so forth work well.

HP's little box of hardware is quiet, small and easy to handle.

HP's software though... is a mixed bag. I've only tried using some media collector stuff an ran into some issues I've not been able to resolve. It doesn't help that HP's software when it doesn't work just.... doesn't work. No error, almost no documentation, the logs you can find by snooping around the web for advise but they are of no use most of the time. Fortunately, the HP software doesn't take over the WHS, it just sort of rides along with it so it doesn't get in the way that I've found.

Lycos

Did you know Lycos http://www.lycos.com/ is still around? They were part of a Jeopardy question. I remembered enough to answer the question but dang. I guess they're big in Korea.

Snow

It has been a snowy winter here in MN. For the first time in a while I've wanted to have a snow blower. Usually I'm a shovel man. $12 shovel, a bit of time, some exercise.... or $500 to $1000 for a fancy snow blower. The math was easy for me.

With the baby being sick after the last snow I skipped shoveling hoping to do it later. More snow came while I was at work the next day and I got stuck getting into my driveway, heck I only got the front two wheels in. My neighbor took pity on me and helped me out and loaned me his snow blower. Nice guy, never met this one before.

Now, maybe I want a snow blower. I just don't know.

Electric Start

I was looking at snow blowers and saw that some had electric starting systems. A nice idea. Most required you plug them in to the wall to start them. With battery performance in the cold that makes sense.

My lawn mower has a battery electric starting system. I've never used it. Mrs. duxup spotted the mower at a Home Depot that was closing and we got the model we wanted with the added electric start for 100 smackers cheaper than the non electric start (same model without battery and such) sold elsewhere so we got that one. It starts fine with just a pull on the cord so I don't bother with the key and battery. I'm fairly sure the battery being charged just once in a few years means the thing is dead. In fact I think I'd like to just take the thing off the mower as the cover for the battery vibrates off (plastic) now and then.

It is odd that they don't offer a plug in option though. I guess you're likely to stop it and want the electric start option in the middle of the yard, but mostly I prep the whole yard front and back and do one big mowing.

Baby Talk: Parenting is Hard

I have been a parent for nearly three months. It seems like much longer.

Every time I think I might have a handle on things, or that things are bad, something reminds me otherwise, or a new challenge presents itself.

I had some time off work and spent time with the baby and thought things were getting easier (hey he sleeps for 2 maybe 3 hours at a time, victory!).

Then the whole orthopedic thing came up and the MDs tell us to put him in a pavlik harness (I complained about this on Husi already).

Then I got really sick (in my sinuses, oh I hate that) and mommy handled baby for several days straight on her own while I felt like trash. I don't know how she did it, amazing.

Then I got better.

Now Baby is sick.

The little dude is hard to handle when sick. Hard physically since he can't lay down without getting too congested.  Emotionally for us parents just to hear him struggle. The poor guy has a cold. 3 months old. Sniffling, coughing, and having trouble breathing. Poor guy does it all in that tiny 3 month old baby voice. He's a fairly quiet baby so his moaning and crying in his sleep while he has spent the last few days on Mrs. duxup and my shoulder as we stayed up with him each night is very sad and hard on everyone. I just want my healthy baby back.  (yeah we had him checked by an MD, just a cold)

Oh and today... mommy is getting sick.

I never much worried about living close to family and such in my life. They're good people, I just didn't care either way. I do now, but most are far away.

I love the little dude, I just wish I could spend time appreciating him / it all more than I am overtired and generally fried.  I feel bad about that, both guilty and like I'm missing something.

There should be a Husi Parenting topic.

< I can't quite remember when I last had a drink | New bike progress >
The Trials of a New Dad | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Go Big or Go Home by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 06:18:15 PM EST
All I can say is that if your driveway is of any real size, a snow blower is a necessity, especially with the troubles of handling family.

That being said only you can decide if it's worth it.

If you DO decide to get a snowblower, don't be a chump about it.  There is only one brand to get.  Ariens.

My father's Ariens was 40 years old when he sold it and bought a new one last year.  He got the first one the year before I was born. And he still got $400.00 for it.  Mine, I got used and is 15 years old and running strong.  You can still get parts, manuals and service books (for free) on machines that they first made in the 60s.  Buy Ariens once, take care of it, keep it forever, maybe pausing to throw on a new engine every 20 years or so.

Gedvondur

"I have a high threshold for taking it in the bum..." - MissTrish
Holy by duxup (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:48:29 AM EST
Sounds like a tank.

____
baby clothes by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 07:04:09 PM EST
When The Dude was pretty new, my cousin gave me this big lecture about where to get baby clothes.  She said I needed to avoid Target, because *everybody* has a "Target baby" and I certainly didn't want one.  Ummm....ok.

Just when you get everything figured out with the kid, he reaches a new developmental milestone and it all changes.  You always miss the part you finally figured out.

Something I've noticed by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 07:36:03 PM EST
They're prone to doing something super cute and/or neat precisely once, and while you'll hope they'll do it again, they never do.

For instance, one day the boy was making faces. It was super adorable, and reached its pinnacle when he was looking at me and made a Popeye face all of the sudden. Sadly, however, he stopped making faces after that, so I was never able to get a picture or even bask in it again.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Yar by duxup (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 09:07:30 PM EST
I've learned the time to grab the camera or video camera is ALWAYS NAOW!
____
The flip side by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 11:23:51 AM EST
Is if you make everyone who isn't immediate family look at those million pictures or videos per day, the camera soon won't be able to take any pictures at all and you won't have any friends.

Remember: It's a child, not a puppy.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Oh yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:49:16 AM EST
I only show photos to those who ask or say in a blog like this.

____
Yeah, that can be frustrating by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 11:51:47 PM EST
But not nearly as frustrating as when they get old enough to understand that something is `cute' and perform on a dime to get their way.

Cicero, The Republic
Target Baby by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 09:06:37 PM EST
The thing about Target Baby's is ... well they're the same as the Babies R Us clothing and several other places.

I don't mind the Target stuff too much, I just stay away from text and such.  For some reason I don't like text on my baby (I don't wear shirts with logos or obvious text), he can look cute on his own.   The good news is Target and most places have the cutest baby outfits of all.  A plain white onesie.  They need to be warmer but if I want a cute photo a onesie is always best IMO.

Well I'm looking for the milestone where he sleeps more, a great deal.  I won't mind that change.
____
i HATE text! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 10:04:40 PM EST
Text on boys' shirts is usually some kind of smart-ass crap.  I don't want my sweet, sweet baby boy walking around looking like some kind of asshat.  He can do that on his own when he's a teenager.

I did write a comment on the Target website/contact page about their boys' holiday shirts.  While they had a wide variety of cute girls' holiday clothes, they only had smart-ass comment t-shirts for boys.  It really pissed me off.

My son has a text onesie by theboz (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 08:03:52 AM EST
It came from thinkgeek though, so I think that is excluded from the bad list.
- - - - -
Yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:47:52 AM EST
Those are fairly rare.

____
Why? by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 04:04:05 AM EST
In case people might get confused and pick up the wrong one?

heh by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 03:03:37 PM EST
that's pretty funny.

said cousin went nuts with odd snobberies once her daughter was born.  clothes came from very expensive boutiques, shampoo is $25/bottle (FOR A BABY!) from Whole Foods, etc.  i won't even go into their current financial troubles, but you can imagine.

Babies need by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 04:10:17 AM EST
these. We got ours in a supermarket for £3/pack and I don't have time to find cheaper ones, but these things are genius.

Our small one giggled like a loon for weeks .. but only for me. Everyone else had to wait about six weeks before she premiered her actual giggle, I got to hear the practice runs.

I really did feel special.

Memo to duxup by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 3) #10 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 04:13:28 AM EST
Parenting doesn't really get any easier from here.

When we had our first one we were told things like: "the first 4 weeks are the hardest", then it was "it gets easier when they start nursery", or "when there old enough to play with each other they entertain themselves".

IT ALL LIES.

The truth is, and parents of grown up kids will confess this to be true, it doesn't get any easier till they leave home, and even then you worry and get calls in the middle of the night, and have to bail them out of whatever nonsense they got into...

But you love 'em anyway.  Bless.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

it gets easier in some ways, harder in others by lm (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 08:16:17 AM EST
Quite a bit depends on the constitution of the parents. Some people deal with sleep deprivation better than being sassed by a spunky four year old. For others, the reverse is true. Each age presents its own unique challenges and most people deal well with some but not so well with others.

Cicero, The Republic
Sleep and me by duxup (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:51:59 AM EST
I can stay up for days at a time and be fine, but then I need to hibernate for 12 hours.  I just don't do well without good chunks of long sleep.  That seems to be my biggest challenge along with not a moment of free time to decompress.  I think I'll do much better when / if he picks up the ability to sleep for humane amounts of time.

____
I remember by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 07:27:28 AM EST
freaking out when the kids couldn't sleep comfortably, and sneaking in to see if they were still breathing.

It was always such a relief when they told me to get the fuck out of their room.

snowblower by misslake (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 10:07:58 AM EST
clearly, you need to bake your neighbour a thanks for the snowblow pie, and then figure out some sort of arrangement wherein he blows the snow and you rake the leaves or whatever.

I wish by duxup (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:52:54 AM EST
I wish I had time to bake for me... but I am going to send them a card with a gift card to someplace people might like.

____
I hav a decrepit two stroke in the garage by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 10:15:51 AM EST
I used it a few winters, but it's a rare snowfall I can't clear with shovels, and now the fuel lines are all clogged up. Maybe I'll fix it some nice summer day.

Plus, Mrs. Ha and my daughters shoveled out once this winter, they might do it again.

baby clothes by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 11:04:26 AM EST

My favorite piece was one that a friend had customized. She used that iron-on stuff you can print from your computer, and made baby old-skool punk onesies. Bad Brains or the Dead Kennedys, anyone? Bauhaus? Also, the ones my brother sent from Sweden were great, but Swedes have a very practical culture.

And yes, a snow thrower is worth it.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Ah yes by duxup (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 11:11:55 AM EST
Mrs. duxup made some of those.  In fact that was how we told the parents.  We made some of those onesies and rolled them up like napkins and tied them with ribbon and let the grandparents figure it out ad they untied them.

____
You live in MN and lack a snowblower? by houser2112 (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 11:45:22 AM EST
Amazing.  I find them to be indispensable here in western NY.  The winters are usually mild enough to get by without one, but my back starts hurting before I can finish.

If you get one, be sure to get an electric start.  You do not want to be in the situation where your driveway is covered in 2' of snow and the damn pull cord just won't work.  I have a 40 year old Jacobsen that still runs like a champ.  Just plug her in and away you go.  A battery start might be nice, but I've only had the thing stall in the middle of a job once in the 10 years I've had it.

Snow and MN by duxup (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 11:51:32 AM EST
The problems of snow in MN are greatly exaggerated.   At least in the Twin Cities.  States that get both snow and regular wind, now there are problems.

If I do get a blower I'm thinking of something with a plug in start.

____