Print Story I don't even know who won the Super Bowl.
Logic & Maths
By gzt (Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 01:51:30 PM EST) gzt, lunch, transit system, strength, star wars, elbow, olympics, star trek (all tags)
I'm fine with that.

I didn't even know who was playing until somebody make a joke about it yesterday. I couldn't name a single player on either team.

We made apple crisp and watched an episode of Star Trek. And talked about budget. Huzzah!

I am quite glad my city did not get the Olympics. I am also glad for the case in point about Athens. Well, I'm not glad for Athens or Greece, it's terrible, but somebody who'd visited there recently said that the Olympics had been good for them because it greatly improved the transportation infrastructure or something like that. It's good to have that rebutted (21 out of 22 stadiums built for it are unused, the spending for the Olympics is blamed by some for current fiscal instability). China is able to shrug off these sorts of consequences (is it really?), but my city probably couldn't.

The elbow is acting up again. I'll try not to make it an excuse for not working hard, but also not to turn it into a reason I can't work hard for the rest of the year.

I think I'll get a flower for the wife, but she won't be back until late in the evening. However, she'd see it in the morning. I'd do it tomorrow, but I'm going to the gym after work. Life gets complicated.

Dear Wife: We won't raise our children like this. There will be plenty of hardship and negative feedback.

Speaking of hardship and negative feedback, The People vs George Lucas sounds like an interesting project, but I don't know how watchable it will be.

In conclusion: I am hungry.

Teh Wife went to her first yoga class yesterday. I did not investigate whether she improved her strength.

Speaking of strength, the other day at the gym I was fiddling around with farmer's walks, and this huge guy chides me with something I knew: he told me I should go heavier, because I've been walking around for a minute with these things, so they're not heavy enough to get me stronger. Anything you can do for a minute just won't get you stronger. And then gave a short lecture on grip strength. I feel bad because I was making fun of yoga here for that exact same reason.

The turnstile thingy for the train wasn't working today, so they just opened up the door for us to go in free. Monthly pass, so it doesn't matter. Today is the first day of service reductions. The problem is that the transit system is horribly underfunded. People may try to blame the union or something. Sure, the city and the union are trying to dick each other. But there are a lot of dicks flying around. The simple fact is that it takes money to make the trains run on time and there just isn't any.

I guess it's time for lunch. There's probably something I can eat somewhere.

< Ah yes, drama. | a visit to the madhouse >
I don't even know who won the Super Bowl. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The Bowl is Super? by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 02:08:17 PM EST
Also: what's an Olympic?

(At the end of the day, I love being 110% apathetic about sports.)

Science-fiction wallah, storytelling gorilla, man wearing a hat: Cheeseburger Brown.
N'Awlins by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 02:11:31 PM EST
And the week of Mardi Gras, too. The collective hangover is going to be epic.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

China by duxup (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 02:47:41 PM EST
I think they make some valid context points about China.  Maybe some government dudes said "hey we're going to use this later too" and so forth but really I don't think anyone cares.  For China it the Olympics was going to be a big show and if they made a buck or lost a truck load I really don't think many folk in China care and China at least as it stands can afford a big show.

I wouldn't want my city to do it either.  I kind of wanted Chicago to get it because they were going to do some soccer event here in the Twin Cities (not enough big soccer fields with enough people in the stands in IL I guess)  but I didn't want anything more than.  Our state and local gov just don't have the ability / experience to handle that stuff.

____
Wow by frog (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 04:40:39 PM EST
I am impressed with how you spent Superbowl Sunday.

I sat saddened my favorite team didn't get in again. I ate way too much and drank too much as well.

You sound like a lovely hubby.

oh, I am. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 05:01:04 PM EST
I'm pretty damn awesome.

All my life by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 05:56:39 PM EST
I have known Louisiana's NFL team as the "Aints", so I am still in shock today.

Also, all 3 of Germany's Olympiad sites are well-used to this very day. Go Figure.

german efficiency by gzt (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 05:58:38 PM EST
their trains run on time, too.

So does their bus system. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 06:20:22 PM EST
Looking at YOU, Seattle Metro.

We were supposed to have 'aints bags by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 11:04:02 AM EST
for the super bowl.  We were going to cut out holes so you could see our faces tho.  P failed to bring our bags.  =/  We managed to have a good time despite this.

The Saints won by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 06:20:37 PM EST
Now you are less special.

____