Print Story Dunno if I've diarized this story before.
Family
By ana (Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 08:56:42 PM EST) tales ancient and amusing (all tags)
Also dunno if I've ever verbed "diary" before.

So once at holiday time, all of my siblings and I were coming home the same year. It rarely happens anymore, though this year everybody who has a spring break miraculously has them the same week, so we're doing the get-together at the folks' house in March.

So every day or two another kid came home from wherever, slept through the night, and turned up in the kitchen in the morning, wanting coffee. Or tea. Or something that involved microwaving a cup or two of water to near-boiling temperatures.

During the year, Mom had bought a new microwave to replace the one most of us remembered. It was a time, in the dark ages, before user interfaces were standardized, and when there were still glaciers abroad in the world.

So every day or two, the latest arrival would be in the kitchen, sleepily scattering commands off the microwave, until the secret revealed itself. "Ah," we all said. "Reverse Polish." Bippity beep beep whirrrrrrrr. Voila!

"What's that about?" Mom asked, on kid number 3 or 4. So we told her.

I'm not sure this was the same winterval, but it's a similarly amusing story involving serially arriving siblings all reacting in the same words to a kitchen stimulus. Some time the previous summer, Mom had made deviled eggs or an egg salad or something to take to a picnic, which involved hard boiling a bunch of eggs. Accordingly, she affixed a piece of tape to one of the egg holders in her refrigerator, and marked it "boiled". It being mid-winter, the boiled eggs had long since made the ultimate sacrifice, and just at that moment, the egg holder was occupied by batteries, which, we're told, hold their charge longer when they're unused if you refrigerate them. I, myself, keep standby batteries in the freezer in a bag.

"Mmmm," said one sibling after another, staring into the fridge. "Boiled batteries."

My freezer bag full of batteries is not marked "boiled."

Is it me, or are the ads this year disturbing?
< Super Bowl Sunday is neither Super nor a Bowl. | Ah yes, drama. >
Dunno if I've diarized this story before. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Which ads by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 09:49:14 AM EST
HuSi or Superbowl?

I thought the Google ad was the best of the latter. Tells a very cute story while demoing the product.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Superbowl. by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 10:08:48 AM EST
A lot of the snack food ads were bizarre. The google ad, which I didn't see live but did see this morning, is cute.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Also... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 10:10:54 AM EST
There's nothing to compare to this best Superbowl commercial evar.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Ummm,no by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 11:30:28 AM EST
Herding Cats.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heh. by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 11:33:18 AM EST
Not bad, and I do remember that one (which is kind of the point), though I couldn't have told you who it was selling (which defeats the point).

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

wot by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 11:27:36 AM EST
No kettle?

The ads. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 12:01:15 PM EST
No more people in their underwear or dudes dressed only in Dorito's. The casket one was mildly amusing, but I'm shocked it got by the PC police.

Didja like the astronomers orgy ad? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 01:00:48 PM EST
Was that doritos or go daddy?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Was okay. by ana (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 01:05:54 PM EST
I don't personally know any astronomers who'd touch bud lite.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

That's basically what I thought too by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 01:13:19 PM EST
I honestly can't figure out why Bud and Coke continue to make these ads; all their competitors have given up at this point, and I can't imagine anybody who's ever switched brands based on the ads anyway.

I would love to see some mid-major brewery like Shiner or New Belgium do an ad, just because "oh, finally, a Super Bowl beer ad for something I'll actually drink".

I will drink Miller Lite in the blue cans if only because it reminds of of playing freshman flag football at Rice.