Print Story Let's see if I can get some updates in
By StackyMcRacky (Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 03:49:05 PM EST) (all tags)
Lots going on, all of it pretty lame.

Let's start with sewing.

I'm in love with my new machine.  I don't even spend my time gear-whoring on the sewing machine boards because I'm so happy with it.  As promised, here is the first project I made on it.  It was for a "refashion" contest where I converted one of clock's shirts to something more festive for myself.  There are lots of details about it that non-sewers would be bored with, so I won't mention them.

Just this week I completed a pair of denim pants for clock (they don't have "jeans" detailing, so I made a distinction).  I'm very excited about these pants - they fit him perfectly!!  Also, the pattern is for pants and shorts and sizes range from 2T to a couple of sizes bigger than clock.  I'm going to get a TON of use out of this pattern.  On this particular pair, I threw on some cargo pockets from a hiking pant pattern.  He should be good to go!

I found a $12 solution to my lack of good cutting table problem, so my sewing space is now awesome in a functional (and lack of back pain) kind of way.

I think I'm going to take a short break from projects and work on some details I've never tried before (like welt pockets).

~~PHONE BREAK ~ my sister is on the phone ~~

Boy

After months of total stress from dealing with the boy, a ton of internet people recommended the book Raising Your Spirited Child.  Holy shit, what a difference it has made!  The meltdowns and tantrums have decreased significantly.  Most days I'm functional when clock gets home from work.  Most of all, I'm not a bad mother (at least, in this arena) and it's not just that he's 2.  He has a set of temperament traits that require different strategies.  I would like to point out that I'm not saying my son is better, or smarter, or more broken, more/less anything compared to yours:  he just processes the world differently and needs to be communicated with in a way that works with his mind.

We've been working on potty training.  What an annoying road.  I totally regret not doing an elimination communication when he was new.  Oh well.  Diapers don't fit him any more, so it's far more complicated than it needs to be.

Health

I read Eat to Live and it was the final thing to push us over the edge.  We're now 90% vegan.  I've lost 15 lbs and 3 1/2 inches in my hips since Thanksgiving.  I feel healthier than I have in a long time.  I'm not going to preach, but I really want to.  You really should read this book (or "The China Study", or even "In Defense of Food").

Damn, I think the boy is awake.

Quickly:  I need to start strength training in some fashion again.  I'm not "fit" at all.

More crap at a later date......

< PRO TIP: Don't lock the knees. | ORLY? >
Let's see if I can get some updates in | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Let clock know by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 04:06:32 PM EST
There's an update for the nook at BN. Makes it purty.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

he's already on it. by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 05:43:59 PM EST
woo!

Spirited child by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 04:16:28 PM EST
yeap, reminds me of thirteen year old, she's darn stubborn.

"Stubborn" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 04:57:48 PM EST
What do you get when a really stubborn man marries a really stubborn woman?

My son.

At least he doesn't have troubles being "assertive".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

amen to that by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 05:44:55 PM EST
if my son were just stubborn it would be easy.  i can totally out-stubborn him.

plus, i'm bigger than he is and can still pick him up.

We can't blame you for the book title by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 08:03:35 PM EST
If it works awesome!

The title is just there for everyone to feel like their child is "better, or smarter, or more broken, more/less anything compared to yours"... with some advice that applies to lots of children.... and a book that hopes to sell if possible to every parent.... but tell the reader their child is different.

____
the title of the book by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 08:42:08 PM EST
actually has a very significant meaning, when you get into the book.

and the book isn't about kids being different-different, or weird, or anything else.  it's about how to effectively deal with children that have stronger reactions on some specific temperamental traits.

See, when I whined here some months ago about my son everybody said "oh yeah, that's just being two."  But every. single. parent. who has seen The Dude in action has exactly the same reaction - "Wow!"  Again, I'm not being "oh my child is more better/dumber/etc!" in that annoyingly weird honor student bumper sticker kind of way.  The techniques in this book would not work with my nephew, the kid across the street, or my friend's kids.  They just aren't the target child of the book.

I know you're just going to pat me on the head and send me on my way thinking I'm having some parent pissing contest, but I'm not being that way!  For every thing The Dude is ahead in, he's behind in others.  All children develop in their own way in their own time.  Understanding how his mind works has been extremely difficult on me.  Now I get it, I've trained the other relevant adults, and life has been MUCH easier for everybody.

Well by duxup (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 08:47:27 PM EST
Actually I was just trying to say we can't hold you responsible for the title of the book even if you use it.   If it works, use it, #### what someone else is going to read into it.

At this point if I could get my little dude to sleep for more than 2 or 3 (at most, rare) hours at a time I'd tell everyone about this awesome mein kampf book that got it to happen.

I'm also putting together a kill list of people who tell me "oh my baby slept thru the night almost right away" so watch it....

____
yeah. by clock (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 11:13:02 PM EST
every time you get psyched about one thing your kid does that's awesome (sleeps well) you get screwed by something else.  the only thing that works for me is gobs of patience...when i have it.  when i don't i just hate myself.

good luck with the sleep, though.  it'll come.  getting any good reading done in the meanwhile?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Ha! by duxup (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 07:39:53 AM EST
You note that first line and less than 4 hours later Mrs. duxup and I are swapping shits for all night sick baby monitoring duty.

____
ugh by clock (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 08:29:49 AM EST
sick baby duty is the worst I've seen so far. the stomach flu he had broke my heart.

good luck, sir!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah it is hard by duxup (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 03:48:01 PM EST

He moans and groans in his sleep, poor little guy.

____
we were lucky with sleeping through the night by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 09:18:16 AM EST
but not lucky with reflux.  he had bad reflux.

and now we have a problem with his joining us in bed during the night.  i don't sleep well that way.  it's a serious problem we're trying to break.

Doh by duxup (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 03:50:55 PM EST
Some neighbors have a little boy escape artist. As soon as he could move he seemed to be finding ways to escape everywhere and at night somehow would make his way into their room. I'd like not to have that problem.
____
today by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Feb 07, 2010 at 07:22:40 PM EST
we got the doorknob thingy so he can't open the door.  maybe we'll just shut the door to his room.  :(

Cool by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 08:00:05 AM EST
I think I may get that book for my girlfriend, she's having trouble now with all her boys (aged 4, 6, 8, 10) with a divorce really affecting them. I will definitely check it out.

The shirt looks very cool, I wish I could sew for real like that. Like, actual clothes that people can actually wear. Neat-o mosquito.

Vegan eh? Hmmm... gonna check out the book. I just wonder about feeding the mass, they don't all eat everything, particularly the boys, they are the pickiest. But, I would like to weigh a lot less and have less issue with my gut, so you know, thinking. I was a vegetarian for ten years I've and have been thinking seriously of heading back that way, but there certainly wouldn't be that sort of change for my family, I mean, I don't think they would tolerate it, but you know, I'm open to ideas.

*twinkle*twinkle*

clock is on board by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 09:16:45 AM EST
partially because that's what i serve, and partially because i read parts of the various books to him.

what i didn't get to in this diary is about the food - everybody who says going veg means "eating a lot of side dishes" is a quitter.  i've slogged through enough cookbooks that we make wonderful meals (hearty ones!) that truly celebrate the vegetable.

we're super lucky in that The Dude is not a picky eater.  he goes through phases, but he'll eat just about anything.  i also let him "help" me cook anytime he wants (which usually consists of him snacking on all the ingredients while i chop), and i think it's helped him expand his palate.

oh, and making clothes that people wear is not as hard as it looks (in general - depends on the clothes)!

being the chef gives one a lot of power by garlic (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 10:04:30 AM EST
in what the family eats.

Wait wait wait. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 10:37:33 AM EST
Clock is always yelling at me "HEY! EYES UP HERE!" So, what am I supposed to do when you post a picture like that?

Also, please join fb like the rest of HuSi...

heh by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 08:38:28 PM EST
that wasn't even a boobie pic!

Eh, I don't have the time or energy for FB.  Twitter is as far as I'll go.

This is why you're going to be a good mom by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 11:48:34 AM EST
``he just processes the world differently and needs to be communicated with in a way that works with his mind.''

Parents (and parenting books) that insist that there is only one way to do it frighten me. While every child does share in a common humanity, every child is also an individual. What works for one may not work for another.

So if you're trying to figure out what works for your specific kid, you're two steps ahead of most parents.

And if you've found something that seems to work, you're three steps ahead.

Cicero, The Republic
awesome shirt! by misslake (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 02:23:40 PM EST
i really like it!

i love the little birdy and the gathers around the neckline. great work!

birdie was bonus! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Feb 06, 2010 at 08:43:06 PM EST
it was a $5 shirt I got from Gander Mountain for clock.  He hasn't ever worn it and I love the color so I stole it!  The pattern was really wonky, and it was hard to get it lined up on the existing shirt....the bird's location was just bonus!

That shirt is awesome! by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 02:06:04 PM EST
I love the color and you look great in it!

I bought Eat to Live because of your recommend, but found that it takes more time than I have to implement. I don't know how you have the time, to work, care for the boy and prepare meals in the Eat to Live style -  it seems like it would be too much to keep up with.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Thank you! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 03:10:21 PM EST
I found out yesterday it won second place in the contest!  Woo!

I'm not crazy strict with Eat to Live, but I do limit my oils and keep my animal product intake under 10% or so.  I'm perfectly happy eating the same stuff for breakfast and lunch every day, so that's easy:  oatmeal with almond milk and an orange for breakfast, big honkin' salad for lunch.  Dinner isn't all that difficult either - I've found a TON of super-easy one pot meals in Veganomicon, and I've learned to adapt other meals to being vegan.  I eat my raw veggies at lunch and cooked ones for dinner.  It takes a while to get the habits started, but I think it's pretty worth it in the end.