Print Story A Perfect Week
Kuro5hin
By gzt (Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 12:47:45 PM EST) gzt, math (all tags)
Seriously, though, you would think Ted would have noticed when the toothbrush got replaced. Which leads to the assumption that Ted was the only one replacing the toothbrush, which is improbable, but feasible.

I ran into a friend, really more my wife's friend, but I consider him a friend by inheritance, on the train. He's leaving tomorrow to spend a week or so with his family and then moving to a Carribbean island where they speak French for several months. Way cool. He had a going-away party earlier, but Teh Wife was ill. So that was good.

Bloody hell. I had pasted some graphs and other stuff from Minitab into an open office document and saved it as a word document and sent it to myself at work so I could print it. The graphs didn't make it. Bastards. Fortunately, it was just some scatterplots that I can do in Excel. Speaking of Minitab, it turns out a 6-month license for students is like $30. Might be worthwhile to save me the inconvenience of going to the school computer lab some evenings, but, then, on the other hand, graphs don't survive transition... Of course, we also really do need a printer/scanner combo. We'll discuss this at a budget meeting.

Mmm, budget. YNAB 3 really is some pretty sweet stuff.

Zappa: before I was interrupted by an encounter with somebody on a train, I was listening to Zappa's Hot Rats. Peaches en Regalia, man. Dude.

I keep forgetting to buy new toothpaste. Accordingly, I will purchase new toothpaste at lunch. While at the drug store, I might as well get a quart of milk.

Today's 70's big article was about nutrition for women who want to train for strength. I think he should've taken the chance to emphasize that women need a lot of calcium.

Silly me. I was trying to come up with this complex way of trawling through this hierarchy thing and it's quite simple. Suppose you have a well-defined org chart and every person on the org chart has a state, let's say it's a letter from A to G. Everybody reports to somebody who has a letter earlier or equal to it in the alphabet. So a C can report to an A, B, or C, but cannot report to a D, E, F, or G. Now, suppose you wanted to know the highest level B in each person's reporting chain, and if there are no Bs, the lowest level A. Everybody has an A somewhere, since it's a well-defined org chart and the top of it is an A. The highest-level B thing is easy, but I was doing the lowest-A part in a stupid way. Well, okay, there's a very easy way of doing it, but the way the list comes out in Excel, the easy way doesn't work - it's easy to find the first occurrence of something, but not the last. I was thinking, "Find the first A, go to the next person in the line, if it's an A, continue down...". Which gets ugly to write. Correct answer: "Find the first non-A in the chain, then go up one." Writing this paragraph probably took more time than thinking about the problem in the first place.

It's been a while since I've done math.

< Pictures | I feel sorry for you furriners that don't have the best health care in the world >
A Perfect Week | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
YNAB 3 by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 01:39:27 PM EST
gets my wife excited in ways that I wish I could replicate.  sadly, I'm not a spreadsheet with nifty graphs coded in Air.  Heh...Air.  That rocks.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

zappa ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 02:20:48 PM EST
Jethro Tull > zappa.

re: Ted and the toothbrush. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 04:20:28 PM EST
One would think.  Even were he the only one replacing the toothbrush, wouldn't Lilly and Marshall at some point have a discussion about why the other bought said toothbrush or wanted to have a different tothbrush? (wrt color, stiffness, brand)  But for the 8 year thing, it was a good gag.

people don't buy toothbrushes by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 04:45:46 PM EST
They get them from the dentist.

I don't like the toothbrush my dentist gives me. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 05:06:06 PM EST
Also, that means only ted was going to the dentist.

I know, it just gets difficult. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 05:09:31 PM EST
One suggestion is that the others ditched the new toothbrushes because they had just recently gotten a toothbrush.

But, right, it takes a lot of gymnastics to get around this. It was pretty funny, though.

Oh, I laughed. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 10:29:54 AM EST
I also still find it amusing that such a thing might happen for any length of time.  It's just not a gag that stands much scrutiny.

early 20s people by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 05:56:08 PM EST
may not go to the dentist for years. I didn't.

that's true, too. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 10:37:22 PM EST
I didn't go to the dentist between the ages of, like, 21 and 24, even though for like a year of that time it would've been free. I only went because it was like right next door to my house. Now they have me on their schedule, so I can't escape...

A Perfect Week | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback