Print Story By Grabthar's Hammer. By the Suns of Warvan...
Drugs
By gzt (Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 02:23:50 PM EST) gzt, beer (all tags)
Look around; can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?

I started going over Lost in the Cosmos again. It's great. I think it would be great for discussions with Teh Wife. Maybe we each read a couple of the questions at a time, then discuss. I'll bring it up. It's definitely the sort of book that's great for reading in small chunks and discussing.

My right knee has been complaining a little bit lately. And my back has been complaining for the last couple weeks, deadlifts Tuesday helped. Keep in mind both of these complaints started while not training.

It's about time for lunch, but the wife appeared on gchat. And now she's off. Time for lunch or something.

These bastards really didn't get a list of this shit for me out of the system. They faked getting it. Those bastards. Now I have to fix it so it can actually get joined to stuff. At least they promised me beer.

I'm going to the gym instead of the church tonight. This back isn't going to heal itself and my squat isn't going to get itself bigger on its own. I'd consider going tomorrow morning (not really), but the wife seems to have made plans for me.

< Three cheers for honesty | That Was The Week That Was >
By Grabthar's Hammer. By the Suns of Warvan... | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sure, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 02:53:35 PM EST
I'd put a pan of soya milk up on the stove then make a strongish brew in my small moka pot, maybe froth the soya up a bit, then put the milk in my favourite mug, then pour the coffee in.

Not as good as a barista would do, but,...

Oh, wait, you said some sort of rudimentary lathe.

soya? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 04:02:44 PM EST
are you trying to kill me? or shrivel my genitals?

Your genitals are of no interest to me, earthling. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 05:21:45 PM EST
Anyway, I'm not sharing it with you.

And milk squeezed from a cow ruins the taste of the coffee.

I've got a sort of pole lathe in the garage by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 03:23:25 PM EST
...That I put together a few years ago just to see if I could. An 'h' shape frame of 2x4 with the horizontal bit being two lengths spaced 4" apart by the uprights to form the bed. Cross piece at the bottom of each upright so it stands by itself. Large pulley wheel in the top of the tall upright that the cord goes over, connecting to a long elastic bungy cord hooked to an eye at the bottom of the upright. Assorted bits of threaded rod and coach bolts to hold it together and sharpened to points to hold the workpiece.

I've never managed to get the treadle quite right, but I've had another idea that I'll try out when the weather improves.

like this? by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 03:49:00 PM EST
Roy Underhill's treadle lathe  I saw that on his TV show once years ago and was most impressed.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Not quite by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 05:40:43 PM EST
He seems to be mostly talking about continuous rotation and pole lathes are reciprocal action.

I don't think this was the original article I used, but I recognise the pictures. Having the treadle the way that shows doesn't work well, very difficult to use your left foot at all and your right foot keeps sliding down towards the right which ups the effort needed. You really need something that's hinged along the line of the bed.

Goddamn. by ni (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 11:16:20 AM EST
This requires a photograph.

I'm planning one by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 11:23:08 AM EST
But it's been doing one or more of raining, snowing, hailing, thunder and lightning, and blowing a gale ever since I posted.

Damn gales get all the women. by ni (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Feb 28, 2010 at 11:33:06 AM EST
I await it eagerly.