Print Story Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Toys
By gzt (Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 12:49:57 PM EST) gzt, goal, weight, read (all tags)
I'm doing quite fine, I just like depressed robots.

It's time to think about visions of the future. I need to get a job that's at least somewhat mathematical or utilizes the same sort of skills used in doing serious mathematics without getting into the part of mathematics I'm not particularly fond of. I would characterize the distasteful part as the sort of large-scale "world-building" that it takes to write a Ph.D. dissertation, which is the reason I did not go to a Ph.D. program. That also, by the way, is the reason I'm not interested in, say, programming of the sort where you create an entire operating system (as an extreme example). Or writing a novel. Perhaps I'm limiting myself a little here. I simply know that I don't have the patience right now for that sort of grand scope. So, how do I get there? Well, I'll figure that one out as I go along. Practical step toward this goal: taking some statistics course right now.

I was lifting last night. My back feels a lot better now. Squats were shaky. Deadlift was solid. No problems with grip whatsoever. On the last rep, I stood and held onto the bar for maybe 20 seconds. I think those grippers are really helping out. Weights were light compared to what was done a couple weeks ago because I haven't trained in two weeks. Should come back quickly. I then went home, ate dinner, did some cardio.

I still have not decided what to read.

< Take me back to my Western boat | TRACKING RACE: We have a winner. >
Life. Don't talk to me about life. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I like math by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 04:37:11 PM EST
except when I don't get all the math.

____
What about maths? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 05:03:42 PM EST
Or is one more than enough for you?

There is just too much of it by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 05:10:36 PM EST
All those numbers, ugh... and don't get me started about things that aren't numbers, but could be....

____
About reading by johnny (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 04:54:50 PM EST
I'll be happy to make suggestions.

Local plug by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:34:03 PM EST
No such employer hires that many mathematicians.

Warning: I applied there many years ago and had been working elsewhere when I got a response (I think it took a year) "you cleared the first hurdle". Expect all the the fast response of a bureaucrasaurus that doesn't let the fingers of each hand know what the other is doing.

Wumpus

Don't ask me why I didn't think of this when you posted it.